Hawk shell build out

Carterjkendall

Advanced Member
Just starting to build out my new shell! First up bench seat/step/storage box!

IMG_8948.JPG

Looking forward to what you do with your shell. Did you do a plan first? I did several cardboard cut out to see how things fit.

billharr said:
Looking forward to what you do with your shell. Did you do a plan first? I did several cardboard cut out to see how things fit.
I just kinda took some measurements and drew a rough sketch. This was super simple to build. I'll take some more detailed pics of the construction of it and can give you measurements. There will be cushions and this will be a U-shape dinette that makes into a full size bed for 2 people. I've found that the stock couches and dinettes are not the best use of space.

Looks nice. Will be interested to follow along.

We've been trying to think of a layout that would allow the two of us to sit and not push the bed in. We have a 2 yr old who sleeps between us up top and we spend a lot of time pushing the bed in and it and rearranging stuff.

IMG_8991.JPG

Used 3/4 maple and ran 3/4 aluminum angle along the sides. Built two panels here is the first one. Gives just enough flex for comfort but strong and lightweight. I will strap them to the side wall where there is no window for storage with two snaps. With the storage box I built and these two panels the bed will be about 48" wide by the width of the camper. When not in bed mode I'll have cushions made and instal a removable table in the center to make a big u shaped seating section for eating and playing cards. I think this is a super practical use of the shell space which maximizes sleeping quarters storage, and seating.

IMG_9014.JPGIMG_9015.JPGIMG_9016.JPGIMG_9019.JPGIMG_9024.JPG

The two bed panels store in the box out of the way when not in use. Makes into a 48" wide bed, you could go bigger if you wanted but this seems plenty big for guests/kids. I'm 6'2 so u can see, plenty of length. Next up cushions!

Nice start Carter. I look forward to your progress.
There is no picture of the propane box and cabinet above. Did you order it with or without the cabinet?

Looks great. I just got a Fleet shell and working on similar mods, I made a bed for the little guy that converts to a table.
I like your aluminum edging, I used melamine to match the camper, I chipped it already. I edged the table with maple laminate, came out well. Enjoy your new camper!!
img_172847_0_d5b334a592d355eab551ee5b0f88fd09.png

img_172847_2_5660c2ff2a6d9cfe7a5ad0a0ec34dbf3.png

RC Pilot Jim said:
Nice start Carter. I look forward to your progress.
There is no picture of the propane box and cabinet above. Did you order it with or without the cabinet?
No furnace! Battery and inverter below. I use a buddy heater when it's 30s or below before bed. I like it chilly!

I am a bit more Jed Clampett than you all. Mostly because my garage is full of crap and I can't get to my tools. I found that the two Home Depot crates that I had along with box that my carpenter grandfather built decades ago is the perfect height to support a three-quarter inch piece of plywood. It is 24 inches wide and is the perfect width for my Big Agnes air core mattress that couples with my BA sleeping bag. Perfect for another person to stretch across for sleeping. My Raven shell is 77 inches wide and so this is a perfect fit. The grandfather box holds my 2 Boulder 30 solar panels, that I will use with a GZ Yeti 400. Gramps would be happy. That box must be 60 years old. Or more. I do like the idea of legs to use the plywood as a dining table. Or, as my inner Jed Clampett would do, just find another box!

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 293
Josh41 said:
Looks great. I just got a Fleet shell and working on similar mods, I made a bed for the little guy that converts to a table.
I like your aluminum edging, I used melamine to match the camper, I chipped it already. I edged the table with maple laminate, came out well. Enjoy your new camper!!
img_172847_0_d5b334a592d355eab551ee5b0f88fd09.png

img_172847_2_5660c2ff2a6d9cfe7a5ad0a0ec34dbf3.png
Got any more details or pics of the sides of your table build there? I want to make a table from my bedboard and am looking for ideas! TIA

Back
Top Bottom