Hawk Shell Ordered

sportsman

Advanced Member
Now we just sit back to see if our late summer trip to Colorado will use our new shell or tents.

We bought a loaded Fleet almost four years ago to make it easier to get out with our daughter, but through four years of camping with a toddler (who absolutely loves go camping and is already sad that we're going to sell the Fleet) we've been able to decide what works for us. What we need, what we want, and what what we don't need. Of course, our decisions have been greatly influenced by the wonderful work, modifications, and descriptions by many of the posters in this forum!

should be fun for more years to come

scott

Jacks, Furnace, Stove, roof top Solar, 2 batteries, rear wall steps, thermal pack, extra vent, one powered vent, external lifts, and the awning.

We're really looking forward to maximizing indoor storage space. Almost all of our trips include cycling gear, climbing gear, and/or skiing gear. Enough gear for all three of us, and it adds up.

Hi guys. New to the forum. I also just also ordered a Hawk shell for my Tundra. Was using a flippac and excited for the upgrade!

Question for Sportsman, what are you planning for additional sleeping arrangements? I tried to get the front dinette option but it is no longer available for the shell. I thought about the side couch but when extended there is no room for the dog and getting in and out is a pain. I didnt like the bed on the side dinette.

So I ordered the couch brackets and plan on either building a front couch or having someone custom build a front dinette that converts into a bed, as i'm not sure my carpentry skills are good enough to make it look nice. We have a 45 pound dog and a 5 year old boy.

We ordered the furnace and flush mount stove, dual battery, rear steps, yakima tracks, awning, power vent, 12v outlet, roof lift assist, curtains, silver spur interior.

Congratulations on the shell orders, sportsman and forrestthorniley! An exciting feeling for sure. Of the last 14 months, we've spent 4 on the road in our Tundra/Hawk shell and have no complaints. If you're still looking for front dinette ideas, forestthorniley, here's what we ended up doing in our shell -
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9774-rnks-hawk-shell-build/?hl=%20rnk#39;s%20%20hawk
it works great for us but of course everybody has different needs and likes.
When you guys get around to your mods, post some pics if you have the time. We all love to see what people have done!
Happy trails,
Robert

Hey Robert!

I have read your front dinette post more times then I care to admit! Excellent work on it, it is very similar to what I had in mind, with the possible exception of extending the width a tad to accomodate 4 tightly at the table and 2 in the bed. You think its doable? I also don't want to give up a lot of interior room, which is why I thought I'd try the roll over front couch first. Just not as nice for morning coffee, card games and the occaisonal inside meal.

I'm sure I can build something myself that will be functional, but the finish will not be up to par with the rest of the interior, and certainly not as nice as yours! Are you a cabinet maker? I am debating just checking craigslist for a cabinet maker or finish carpenter to see if they'd be interested.

Thanks,

Forrest

@forrestthorniley. Sportsman's wife here. We all sleep in the bed with our feet towards the door. We have never used the roll-over couch and it will be years before our daughter wants to bring a friend camping so we will deal with those sleeping arrangement later.

With our current set-up of the loaded Fleet with roll-over camper, I found that I never used the sink, we never really maximized our use of the storage cabinets, we didn't use the 3 piece table and I was never a fan of the fridge. Like Sportsman said we want to maximize inside space so there is less schleping of gear in and out of the cab at night. I am sure we could have optimized our current packing and camper system, but we both work full time, race bikes and have a kiddo. Many of our trips are last minute get-the-heck-out-of-Dodge events.

Hey Robert!

I have read your front dinette post more times then I care to admit! Excellent work on it, it is very similar to what I had in mind, with the possible exception of extending the width a tad to accomodate 4 tightly at the table and 2 in the bed. You think its doable? I also don't want to give up a lot of interior room, which is why I thought I'd try the roll over front couch first. Just not as nice for morning coffee, card games and the occaisonal inside meal.

I'm sure I can build something myself that will be functional, but the finish will not be up to par with the rest of the interior, and certainly not as nice as yours! Are you a cabinet maker? I am debating just checking craigslist for a cabinet maker or finish carpenter to see if they'd be interested.

Thanks,

Forrest
Hi Forrest,

As far as building in a front dinette that is wider, I don't really see a problem. Just a question of how wide a bed/seat you need and how much floor space you're willing to lose. You would retain that under-seat space for storage but lose some of the feeling of roominess that is nice in a shell.
Yes I am a retired woodworker/carpenter/contractor so I did have all the tools and knowledge at hand when we did ours.
I wish you luck!

Robert

Thanks for the replies. I am now thinking that I will try the roll over couch in the front, then add matching cushions on the shell sides for a U shaped seating area and add a table that will set up inside the U and stow under the roll over couch. I think this will comfortably fit 4? It seems like the bench to bench width near the rear window would accommodate two at the table.

12990835_10207543408235659_1714414899419310074_n.jpg

Just an FYI here is a picture of the FWC front dinette in a shell. I took it apart and made a side dinette.

camper+inside+before+.jpg

Also FYI, the space between the 2 side benches in the shell is 45".
Robert

Back
Top Bottom