Hawk vs Fleet

I have a base model 4cyl 2wd 2007 tacoma. Recently found a 1983 fwc fleet which in regards to size is kind of like a current day eagle that has a 7' base. Gets 21-23mpg without the camper. With the camper it gets 18-20mpg. The only addition to the truck are a pair of timbrens on the back axle. With the camper on it they just about rest on the axle. So I'm not experiencing what I would call week shocks. For mounting I made some brackets that bolt into the bed that are identical to what FWC sells. Then turnbuckled the camper to that. I had to screw in and reinforce new eyebolts under the overhang of the sides of the camper for mounting to. I use basic cheap construction store turnbuckles that came with the camper. Obviously I'm not going to be bounding over any boulders so I don't expect any problems.

Please let us know their response. Ford no longer sells a Ranger pickup for the north american market. The do have a little larger ranger available with a diesel for the international market. Can't get it here. :oops:

Took them 2 days, but it's a personal response. Not what I wanted to hear though. Market research my a$$. Unless everyone on every truck forum and everyone I talk to about trucks is secretly lying to me about wanting a small/midsize/1 ton diesel!

"Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in a diesel Tacoma.

Market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what vehicles are in demand in the Canadian market.   Then, based on our findings, the Product Planning Division chooses those models that best suit the needs of our buying public.  We recognize, of course, that these choices may not meet the needs and fulfill the desires of all potential customers.

There are no plans to add the diesel engines to our line-up at this time. However, your interest in this option has been relayed to our product planning division for future consideration.

We appreciate your taking the time to communicate with us. Your interest in Toyota is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

James Langdon
Customer Interaction Centre
Toyota Canada Inc."

Hi DonC,

Since it is April 2012 you probably made your decision.
Anyway here is my two cents worth.
BeSharp007 makes a lot of sense.
I too have a 4cyl 4WD truck. My truck is 9" narrower then the 2005-current year. I like narrower truck for narrow desert canyons. I chose the Eagle because I leave my shell permanently mounted on my truck. I can't see around the Fleet and neither Toyota nor aftermarket sells extendable mirrors for Tacoma's.

When I upgrade from my '99 Tacoma someday (current milege only 153,000 miles), I will get the current V6 Tacoma as I prefer the smaller size as a daily driver. By the way there is a one inch height difference between the current gen and last gen Tacoma's so if you order new order to fit new models.

Regards,

Jim

Back
Top Bottom