Hawks Side dinette and adult sleeping room

Bombsight said:
Big thanks, Dave!
I'm thinking an alcohol polluted friend could sleep well there after a long day of surfing.
A third person could be a big benefit when diesel is considered.

Thanks for the opinions and photos everyone. I feel as though I made the right decision the more I look at the FWC Hawk.
Bombsight,

One major advantage is the person sleeping on the dinette bed is they are closer to the porta-potty or the door. jd :D

longhorn1 said:
Bombsight,

One major advantage is the person sleeping on the dinette bed is they are closer to the porta-potty or the door. jd :D
I'm going to cut the drinking off before it gets that uncomfortable. :oops:

Here is a picture of my side dinette as promised earlier. There are a few more similar pics in my gallery.
I tried the bed out again and decided I could definitely sleep on it. Have slept on much worse. The little cupboard is not in the way at all on my Hawk. You will notice the two 1/2" pieces of pink foam board under the forward cushion, which I feel are necessary due to the softness of that cushion and the stiffness of the roll-over seat portion.

Attachments

• SideDinette2.JPG
    SideDinette2.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 264
Thank you, TrapperMike.
Good info. on the cabinet. I couldn't see it being a big issue. If anything, it's a great place for the guests belongings.

This for Bill Harr
Loved your video on You tube on your super hawk build. Wow! I want to convert my 06' Hawk interior from the useless roll over couch to the side dinett. FWC will sell me the parts and label them but will not supply directions on how to fit them as a kit. Go figure.
Your skills and build expertise on your Hawk are inspiring. I guess what I am hoping for is some explicit step by step direction on fitting the side dinett. I will have the labeled parts but without direction on how they fit together.

If you have the parts and they are labeled much of the hard work is done. I would try fitting the parts outside of the camper first and then take pictures of the parts put together. You could add your own labels if needed with blue painters tape. As far as step by step you could do it several different ways and still end up with a dinette.

Much depends on your skills and abilities. Not sure what the FWC parts cost is. If you have the skills you "might" be able to save some money. Some items I am sure you will find will be cheaper from FWC than you can make them. I purchased my counter tops as I did not have all the equipment needed and I am sure my finished product would not be as good. If you could find someone with a Hawk near you, pictures could provide you with a manual. I took a lot of pictures of Hawk dinettes before building mine.

Thank you Bill for the sage advise and suggestions. I will contact American RV (4 wheel dealer) in Azusa, CA and see if they will let me take photos and measurements of one of their demo Hawks with a twin dinette set-up and then create my own assembly manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The Western city of

I have a Hawk w/ the side dinette option. I personally sleep there (I'm 6'0) when stealth camping as someone else mentioned and have shared many nights with friends, me taking the kings quarters up top and them on the side dinette. Guess it's just me but I have not seen any problems with this arrangement.

The flat space between your cushion and window sits level with the cushion top and offers several more inches in which to spread out.

I'm currently rebuilding my side dinette using Fwcs flip over hinge. Can any of you guys posting pictures of the side dinette give me dimensions for the two seat bases and there distance apart from each other'? That would help me greatly.

And to contribute I liked to nap on the side dinette before. Pull up at the beach and open the huge window to the ocean breeze and lay on the side dinette without popping the top. I've never slept on it overnight but wouldn't hesitate to if I needed to!

I took delivery of my Hawk shell in February. I wanted a spare bed for guests, and I was planning to order the side dinette, until I saw one. The dinette makes a very narrow bed and I ended up going with the rollover couch. No regrets. The couch unrolls with no fuss into a large and comfortable bed, and it has a lot of storage underneath. When the couch is upright there is room to store bedding behind the seat back. It's easy to take a stealth nap, unrolled or not. When you order the couch you also get a rather bulky 3-piece table thrown in. I substituted a lightweight Lifetime model 80458 adjustable-height folding table that tucks nicely under the front edge of the couch cushions. At first glance the couch seemed like the least useful option, but I'm glad I reconsidered.

CMD said:
I took delivery of my Hawk shell in February. I wanted a spare bed for guests, and I was planning to order the side dinette, until I saw one. The dinette makes a very narrow bed and I ended up going with the rollover couch. No regrets. The couch unrolls with no fuss into a large and comfortable bed, and it has a lot of storage underneath. When the couch is upright there is room to store bedding behind the seat back. It's easy to take a stealth nap, unrolled or not. When you order the couch you also get a rather bulky 3-piece table thrown in. I substituted a lightweight Lifetime model 80458 adjustable-height folding table that tucks nicely under the front edge of the couch cushions. At first glance the couch seemed like the least useful option, but I'm glad I reconsidered.
+1 we love our rollover couch for storage and sleeping. It gets used all the time for both (both rolled over and as a bench seat).

Norcalhusky -- dimensions on my 2016 Hawk side dinette seats: the rear rollover seat base is 15-7/8" wide x 21-1/4" deep. The forward seat base is 18" wide x 16" deep. I had both my batteries installed under the forward seat for an extra charge, so the dimensions of that seat might not be standard. Both seat tops are 4-1/2" wider because they extend over the wheel well notch. Also both seats bases are 17" tall plus 1/2" top thickness.
I like the side dinette option because it doesn't block the view out the windows, plus it is easy for someone in the camper to pass a cold beverage through the emergency escape window to another person sitting under the awning.
The seats are a bit high, so I made a cedar platform that fits on the floor between the seats to rest the feet on and it doubles as an outdoor shower platform.

Thank you for the dimensions!

TrapperMike said:
Norcalhusky -- dimensions on my 2016 Hawk side dinette seats: the rear rollover seat base is 15-7/8" wide x 21-1/4" deep. The forward seat base is 18" wide x 16" deep. I had both my batteries installed under the forward seat for an extra charge, so the dimensions of that seat might not be standard. Both seat tops are 4-1/2" wider because they extend over the wheel well notch. Also both seats bases are 17" tall plus 1/2" top thickness.
I like the side dinette option because it doesn't block the view out the windows, plus it is easy for someone in the camper to pass a cold beverage through the emergency escape window to another person sitting under the awning.
The seats are a bit high, so I made a cedar platform that fits on the floor between the seats to rest the feet on and it doubles as an outdoor shower platform.

Back
Top Bottom