Heading to the Moab Area, May 15th

davidshourd

Advanced Member
I have set my reservations and taken the time off for the week of the 18th of May to head to Moab/Canyonlands. I will leave Friday the 15th to try and dash there for a mid day sunday arrival. there is a Nissan offroad meet there that entire week, www.gonemoab.com, that I am going to participate in. Probably dump the camper at the campsite for a couple days while I do that. then I will head into the Needles area for 3 days. Just got my spts reserved. Talk to the ranger and he was a huge help. sounds like some of the trails should be a ton of fun in 4lo with a camper! I have my Timbren springs showing up next week to level the truck out a little and a new winch bumper in case I find my self somewhere I dont want to be! VERY excited.

anyone else in the area for that time? Any suggestions or cool camping spots to check out? anyplaces I shoudl avoid? I have a lifted, v6 4 liter, Nismo package Frontier (full locked rear end) with some slightly oversized tires. I feel very confident in what it can do, but it is always a different game with a camper.

I really like the road out to Lockhart basin just north of the needles. You can go from needles to Moab, but I wouldn't try it with a camper. The first 30 miles or so arn't too bad and there are some great camp spots looking across the river to the white rim trail. Elephant hill out to the confluence of the green and colorado. Any of the trails out of Moab are great. Have fun. We were there last April. great fun

Just got back from me week long trip down in Moab and Canyon lands with the camper. it was amazing. the first few days were spent with the camper off while I met up with an offroad group in moab and went 4 wheelin, check gonemoab.com, I think they got pictures of us up there now.

then we put the camper back on and headed south to the Needles district in the canyon lands. we went right for Elephant hill and made it to the top no problem. I had it in 4lo with the locker turned on, just in case. the camper held tight. but once we got to the top I decided to turn around and go back down in lieu of going down the back side. I was worried I would not get back up or cause damage. here are a couple videos:

We also were in the middle of the canyon for one of the seasons only rain/hail storms. got about 2-3" of rain in about 30 minutes. flash flood conditions. we had just got to our camp (shafer camp) about an hour earlier. some passer byers were not so lucky and were stranded with us for a couple hours while the water went down. the road out (either way) was a river then a small stream for most of the evening. made a fun drive out the next morning.

here is a link to some photos of the offroad event (no campers, just trucks/xterras playing in Moab).

Photo Storage

well that is about it for now. let me know what you guys think. tons more pictures too. by the way: 2500miles in about 9 days. most of it was the to and from. Eugene Oregon to Moab Utah.

Attachments

• P5180711.jpg
    P5180711.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 271
  • P5200782.jpg
    P5200782.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 272
  • P5210790.jpg
    P5210790.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 265
  • P5210810.jpg
    P5210810.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 255
  • P5210815.jpg
    P5210815.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 256
the first few days were spent with the camper off

Were you actually using the camper during this time? I was under the impression its not great for the floor pack to be unsupported with folks inside and the jack brackets aren't really made to support the camper with folks moving around inside.

Do your jaws hurt from grinning so much?

Nice pics. Using the picnic table for camper support is a great idea.
We were in Moab May 13 & 14 and I saw more ORVs in those two days than I've seen the rest of my life. You're in Eugene? We're out past Fern Ridge dam. See ya on the road.
Llamas

Nice pics. Using the picnic table for camper support is a great idea.
We were in Moab May 13 & 14 and I saw more ORVs in those two days than I've seen the rest of my life. You're in Eugene? We're out past Fern Ridge dam. See ya on the road.
Llamas

I would not hang out in the camper when it was off the truck, just ook it off for the day then back under it at night and lower it down. I would jump in real quick to grab something though, just not make a habit of hanging out without it in the truck.

yup I am in Eugene. see ya around.

Back
Top Bottom