Heading to Vancouver

remithoren

Advanced Member
We are taking our Tundra/Hawk from Calif to Vancouver around Thanksgiving. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on stopping/camping near Grants Pass, Oregon (about 12 hours from here) and then onto Vancouver, BC another 10 hours up the 5.
Thanx,
Jeff

remithoren:

Well, don't know any particular places in Grants Pass, but i can give you a few hints.....I've got a hawk shell on my dodge full sized....I often will stay in state parks in OR and WA as some are open all year. Usually, though, they close the basic tent sites and only have the hookup or RV sites open. Kinda sucks as they cost a few more bucks. BUT they do have power and a small ceramic heater really keeps me toasty without having to run the little buddy heater. I would check online for the info on the parks you are going to pass on the road. You would be surprised how many of these parks are actually quite busy.

My last two trips I was going to go off the forest service roads and find a spot.....but it was hunting season and man there were a LOT of hunters out. I didn't want to take a chance and have someone use me or the camper for target practice......I found it more comforting to be around others....

As for Vancouver, a lot of the BC parks are closed. They have hunting season, too. Be careful. If you stay in the city, it is nice to have a small heater and extension cord so you can plug into a friends AC and not run the heater....

good luck.

Dave in Seattle...

I'll chime in here even though both times I drove north to pick up my campers (Lopez Island and Olympia) I drove all the way from Oxnard to WA before stopping. Probably not too smart. Since I was wiped I stopped several times on the way back at state rest areas. The ones up near Shasta are particularly nice and the ones in WA and OR are very nice as well. I didnt have to stealth it I just popped the top and sawed logs.

Hey Jeff

I have made the drive up I-5 about 12 times in the past 5 years or so for the Portland & Seattle shows with a truck & trailer.

I know there are some camping spots along the way, but like Jay did, I just boogied up there and usually tried to do it all in one day if I could.

It is a nice drive this time of year and should be beautiful.

If you like to drive at night, be careful and watch out for the Deer on I-5 in the Oregon mountains and passes.

The rest stops are prety nice up there too.

The farther you get up into Oregon and Washington, they actually offer Free Coffee at the rest stops. You can't beat that.

Have a great trip.

:)

Attachments

• delivery truck.jpg
    delivery truck.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 260
  • sixpac on trailer.JPG
    sixpac on trailer.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 251
  • FWC truck & trailer for deliveries.jpg
    FWC truck & trailer for deliveries.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 254
cool photos stan! seems like a pretty big trailer...you need a 5th wheel:D!

Stan, Thanks for info, looking forward to the trip. By the way we camped at limekiln (off the one south of Monterey) last week. Absolutely beautiful. Didnt envy the late arrivals setting up tents. With the FWC, bada bing bada boom and up.

Back
Top Bottom