Headlights and air bags.

I have anF350 with a Hallmark camper on the bed. During a recent trip to Labrador and Newfoundland, I found my high beam lights useless. Looking at my loaded truck , it looks perfectly level. When the truck is empty , it is high in the rear compared to the front, but the headlights work high and low. In Newfoundland on our way to the campsite after music, the high beams pointed into the sky and some folks would even flash lights as if my low beams were on high. I have now mounted air bags and am wondering if I should inflate them to put the truck in its empty position. This would make the lights work perfect. What do folks do with air bags, lights and loaded campers?

I have air bags on an OBS F250 and would just set a 3' level on the bed rail when it was empty and added a few pounds as needed. That usually kept it level when the car trailer was attached. Basically the same when the heavy hard side camper was on by holding the level along the camper wall.. The current Keystone weighs about half as much so about 10lbs.

It sounds like your headlights are adjusted for an empty truck. If you usually have the camper on, take it to someone who can properly aim them with the camper on. Some newer vehicles have automatic systems to deal with changes in loads.... my truck (and it sounds like yours too) don't, so we have to adjust manually.

If your F350 is a newer one be careful to not break the adjusting screws, they are plastic and, from what I have read will be stuck. New lights are very expensive. Might be something for the dealer.

I have air bags on my F350 and used a tape measure to figure the without and with pressure heights.

Also could park somewhat close to a wall empty and make a mark where the headlights are then put on the camper and increase pressure until the lights are back to the empty mark. Might add a little because the truck is lower now.

Last edited:
I adjusted mine with the pop-up camper installed (about 50% of rated payload), and live with them being a little low when the truck is unloaded. On GM hd trucks the adjustment is easy with a long Allen wrench.

The headlight adjustment on our 2017 F350 is super easy. I had the exact same experience with useless high beams and people flashing me on low. A few minutes in the dusk with a screwdriver and the truck pointed toward the side of the barn and it was good to go. Our camper is a permanent mount so I do not need to readjust, but it wouldn’t be too hard. My owner’s manual has directions, but I’m guessing it’s all over the Ford owners groups too.

If your F350 is a newer one be careful to not break the adjusting screws, they are plastic and, from what I have read will be stuck. New lights are very expensive. Might be something for the dealer.

I have air bags on my F350 and used a tape measure to figure the without and with pressure heights.

Also could park somewhat close to a wall empty and make a mark where the headlights are then put on the camper and increase pressure until the lights are back to the empty mark. Might add a little because the truck is lower now.
My truck is a 2021 and I think it has LED lights. So when you say the plastic adjusting screws will be stuck, does that mean I should dose them with silicone spray before trying to adjust? The dealer could do it, they can get me in in three weeks!

My truck is a 2021 and I think it has LED lights. So when you say the plastic adjusting screws will be stuck, does that mean I should dose them with silicone spray before trying to adjust? The dealer could do it, they can get me in in three weeks!
Mine is a 21 F350 also but I just use the air bags to adjust the lights I haven't tried to use the screws. The info I read was on the Ford Truck Enthusiast site.

Warning!!! Headlight Adjustment - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

This is one of the posts and I think there are more than a few others.

Back
Top Bottom