Height when open?

JWL

I have scavenged the web and I can’t find the answer. I am planning a garage and want to be able to pop up the camper in the garage to work inside. I know a Hawk sits 58-60 inches above the bed of the truck. I know the inside height is roughly 6’6” but how height is the exterior when it is popped? 7’?

Ideally the overall height open of a Tundra 4x4 std suspension and a Hawk. :)
thanks!

Just spitballing here but if the interior height is 6’-6” then you could probably figure adding an inch for the floor and maybe 2 inches for the roof plus the height of anything on top like roof vents, solar panels etc. So I would estimate 6’-11” with a roof vent for a WAG.

The best answer would be to call them...

I did call and they told me to call Rocky Mountain FWC (my dealer closed) so I figured I would try y’all before I bugged them

As you note, it certainly depends on the height of the truck. My Hawk is mounted on a 2012 GMC 2500HD truck with 33" tires. I allow 10 feet clearance when the top is popped, although it's more like 9'8".

I can't pop the top when it's in my garage so I built a dolly for the camper which puts it about 12" off the floor. I take the camper off the truck in the winter and work on it then.

Too many variables, such as air bags. I bet my airbags raise the bed 2-3" depending on psi. Obviously, you could deflate airbags, but then adding and subtracting heavy objects will alter hight, 2 AGM batteries vs 1 Lithium. etc.

OK thanks y’all.
Thanks PJorgen that gives me a rough idea.
I realize the truck is the huge variable I was looking for the height above the truck bed, then I could see how high I need to be...

Im going at 10’6” so I should be OK.

If you ever camp in a parking garage you might want to know these things. :LOL:

I would venture 10' 6" will give you some leeway.

A 2007 F350 with a Grandby needs just shy of 8' clear closed, just shy of 10' clear open.

DesertDave said:
I would venture 10' 6" will give you some leeway.

A 2007 F350 with a Grandby needs just shy of 8' clear closed, just shy of 10' clear open.
Same for a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7

Not every FWC camper has the same roof height. Our current FWC Keystone is taller than our previous FWC Keystone.

If you already have a camper I recommend emailing FWC with your camper serial number and asking for the height when open. Better yet measure it open.

If you don't have one then I think FWC is your best source of information (new or by serial number for a used one you are considering).

Just a bit more info. My 2014 Hawk is 6'8" tall from the bottom of the floor pack to the top of the roof when popped up. Add another couple inches for the fan vent.

Went through this just a couple of years ago on our own big remodel. Long story, but had to give the architect a max height number with a deadline looming and had no way to easily ascertain the opened height of our Fleet on Tacoma rig(middle of a bad winter with lots of snow). I took a quick look at a friends setup and pulled a number out of a "dark place".... :unsure:

Approx 2 years down the road we finally move in, get all the construction and move-in crap cleared out of the garage so the camper/rig can pull in and be prepped for an upcoming winter trip. Karen pops the back and begins to lift the front as I perch on a step ladder. Success, but not by much, maybe a 1/2" !!

Just measured my garage - 10'1" at back end and about 10'2" at the opener. (garage slab has some slope for drainage, 9' garage door with a low clearance opener)

There were a number of factors affecting the garage height so we did not feel like we had the luxury of just overshooting the height to any great extent.

Your results may vary....

Attachments

• Close one -.jpg
    Close one -.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 66
Yep CraggyMan that’s exactly what I am dealing with, kind of. I am having a taller door put in my garage (8’9”) and I wanted to check to see if my existing roof height was OK and how high to run the opener. Obviously I don’t have my Hawk yet or I would just measure it. I realized with the taller door the opener came back farther too so we are going with a side opening motor and the entire middle part is open to pop the camper! That might open up your 1/2”!

Thanks y’all for all your feedback.

JWL said:
Yep CraggyMan that’s exactly what I am dealing with, kind of. I am having a taller door put in my garage (8’9”) and I wanted to check to see if my existing roof height was OK and how high to run the opener. Obviously I don’t have my Hawk yet or I would just measure it. I realized with the taller door the opener came back farther too so we are going with a side opening motor and the entire middle part is open to pop the camper! That might open up your 1/2”!

Thanks y’all for all your feedback.
Side opener might do the trick. What is the overall height of your garage ceiling? Obviously a bigger truck/tire combo will make a difference. I think on down the road if we get a full size truck, at least we will be able to pop the back.

Maybe this doesn't help, but if I park to either side of center, the camper pops up to the ceiling between the door track and the opener.

I have a 9 foot ceiling, so I can only open the camper about 2/3 of the way, with some props to hold the top up. If I want more room for extensive camper work, I will air the tires down so I can open the top almost all the way.

I still haven't finished the camper install, so I can't offer any actual numbers.

Thanks Y’all for your help and input, it is finally done! I wanted to make sure I could open the camper and work on it in my garage, not so much cold but heat and at night. The wall mounted opener was the key and I have 7’10” to the light from the bed of my truck, 8’9” garage door height so all is good. NOW ALL I NEEED IS MY CAMPER!
I should start this in a thread “The things we have done for our campers”

Attachments

• 977EC2B5-4057-4A0F-9C1E-C231E2FA9349.jpeg
    977EC2B5-4057-4A0F-9C1E-C231E2FA9349.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 52

Back
Top Bottom