Hello and HELP!

jsonptrs

Well, I've been lurking for a while and can finally call myself the owner of a FWC. It's an approximately 1988-1989 Grandby with stove, forced air heat, awning, and 3-way Dometic refer. Paid $1500 plus the cost of going to get it. Me being me I started tearing it apart to dial it in right away, thoroughly expecting to have to rebuild the cabinets to my liking when I bought it. I found some dry rot in the floor pack and the shelf the refer sits on which I'm in the process of patching -- I'll post pics of that later. What I have now is a BIG problem. I didn't really check the front end out very well and noticed while working on the camper it lacked "stability", so I pulled the screws off the front and folded up the skin a bit and discovered broken welds. D***! I then pulled (read ripped) the paneling off the inside front to get a better look. All the welds under the window are broken, as are two on the sides where it meets the step of the floor pack. All the other welds appear to be okay. I can't weld aluminum I'm afraid, so I'm looking for advice. I read one post where someone made up a bunch of aluminum L's and screwed them in. What about a combo of steel L's and T's either screwed or riveted to the frame pieces? I'm trying to get it back together in a couple weeks and would have had plenty of time until I hit this stumbling block. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Camper 001.jpg
    Camper 001.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 430
  • Camper 006.jpg
    Camper 006.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 411
  • Camper 008.jpg
    Camper 008.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 421
  • Camper 009.jpg
    Camper 009.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 409
I would really advise against mechanical fateners if you plan to take it any where but smooth even roads. They will do even more damage to the existing structure than you have now. They will eventually come loose and you have the same problem with more damage. You're in Reno why not drive down to Sacto and get the guys at ATC or FWC to do it right?

I agree with Chnlisle. Fasteners aren't gonna hold.

I would call stan/etc. and see what he says. Yer lucky you're so close if it warrants a visit.

Depending on what stan says...the other option would be to find a good welding shop locally and have some TIG work done. A good shop should be able to strengthen those joints by welding additional material into place.

now my brain is wondering *how* this happened without visible damage on the outside..etc.:eek:

good luck

mtn

Hey jsonptrs

Feel free to call our production manager when you have time.

800-242-1442

ASK FOR CHICALI ("Chee-Call-E")

He can probably log into the forum when you are on the phone, take a look at the pictures you posted, and give you a general idea on what it will cost to re-weld those cracks.

If the camper is already apart and you have the skin or interior walls already removed like in the pictures, I wouldn't think it would take very long to get them touched up.

The camper looks like it is in pretty good shape on the outside still (looks nice !).

Good luck on your project.

=====================================================

Well, I've been lurking for a while and can finally call myself the owner of a FWC. It's an approximately 1988-1989 Grandby with stove, forced air heat, awning, and 3-way Dometic refer. Paid $1500 plus the cost of going to get it. Me being me I started tearing it apart to dial it in right away, thoroughly expecting to have to rebuild the cabinets to my liking when I bought it. I found some dry rot in the floor pack and the shelf the refer sits on which I'm in the process of patching -- I'll post pics of that later. What I have now is a BIG problem. I didn't really check the front end out very well and noticed while working on the camper it lacked "stability", so I pulled the screws off the front and folded up the skin a bit and discovered broken welds. D***! I then pulled (read ripped) the paneling off the inside front to get a better look. All the welds under the window are broken, as are two on the sides where it meets the step of the floor pack. All the other welds appear to be okay. I can't weld aluminum I'm afraid, so I'm looking for advice. I read one post where someone made up a bunch of aluminum L's and screwed them in. What about a combo of steel L's and T's either screwed or riveted to the frame pieces? I'm trying to get it back together in a couple weeks and would have had plenty of time until I hit this stumbling block. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice so far. I've contacted Ben and per Stan called Chicali. Both have offered good advice and I'll likely go get it welded next week some time. I was anxious to start my reassembly over the weekend, but I've got a lot to do on it so I probably won't waste any time. I'll just pre-fit everything, have it ready to go, get it welded and put it all together once the frame repairs are made. I'll post some pics of my progress as I go. Thanks again.

P.S. - Has anyone removed/replaced the filler board over the bed shelf that runs vertically along the camper edge? Thanks.

Jason

A buddy of mine had to "reshape" the front end of an old grandby to get it in a GMC. He popped all of the welds up front on purpose, modified, and then JB welded the joints back together..I scoffed hard at this and advised a proper alum. weld......That was in '99.....the truck and camper have been beating around Baja all this time. It has out lived the GMC (no surprise). And is going on another GMC next week...

Not recomending the JB weld, but I am certainly surprised by it..

TT

P.S. - Has anyone removed/replaced the filler board over the bed shelf that runs vertically along the camper edge? Thanks.

Jason

I have on mine, they are a solid oak board. They were a tight fit coming out and an even tighter fit going back in. Whats your question on it?

Back
Top Bottom