Hell's Canyon, then NV, Ruby Mtns?

Barko1

My trip to the Maritimes is delayed but I still am making a run to Thompson Falls Montana and looking at the map it seems like Hell's Canyon, ID would be a good area to explore on the way back from there. Maybe like some good spots from Riggins but I have never been in that area. After that I was looking at NV 225 towards Elko and maybe the Ruby Mtns? My preferences, cooler weather, few people, good views. Whatcha think :oops:

My trip to the Maritimes is delayed but I still am making a run to Thompson Falls Montana and looking at the map it seems like Hell's Canyon, ID would be a good area to explore on the way back from there. Maybe like some good spots from Riggins but I have never been in that area. After that I was looking at NV 225 towards Elko and maybe the Ruby Mtns? My preferences, cooler weather, few people, good views. Whatcha think :oops:

Hi Barko - We just returned from the maritimes (New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia), great area. Regarding the Ruby Mts., if you have never been there, they are not to be missed . . . . awesome!! If you have been there you know what I mean. Have a great trip! - Richard

It looks like you are coming from New Mexico if I am correct. Anyway, you can actually take a dirt road from Ely (go west out of Ely, then north on aside road) to Elko on the east side of the mountains. Once you get a little south around Elko, you can wrap around west and see the canyon. I believe its called Lamollie or something like that. Along the way, you will see a wild life preserve. I did the trip a few years ago going south from Elko down to Ely. You will also go by a big Barrick gold mine. You will be in the middle of no where, but its pretty cool.

Have fun.

Darryl

Hi Barko - We just returned from the maritimes (New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia), great area. Regarding the Ruby Mts., if you have never been there, they are not to be missed . . . . awesome!! If you have been there you know what I mean. Have a great trip! - Richard

Last year did Newfoundland and still hope to get to Labrador later this year. Guess Ruby's will be a good route back from MT.

"You will be in the middle of no where, but its pretty cool." That sounds good, I'll be heading N to S. I carry extra hoses and belts :D

If you are heading south out of the Lamillie canyon (Its a kind of trip you go up and back), go east through I think its called hidden pass. To get there you will take the dirt road along the foot of the mountains. If you have a good 4 wheel type vehicle, there appears to be some interesting little side dirt roads up into the mountain range. Then once through Hidden Pass (you will know what I mean when you see the signs or talk with someone). Go south and its a fun ride all the way to Ely in the dirt for the most part. For map location reference, you will be a bit west of Cherry Creek, but going from North to South. You probably know this, but the fun thing about NV is that it looks like a desert until you see all of the green up in the mountains. There are also a few small camp grounds at Lamollie Canyon. If you are a hiker, you will want to get out and hike up at the top of the canyon.

Anyway, have fun.

Darryl

On the way south try to get into Jarbidge country on the ID-NV line and then drift south to Deeth. Explore the Elko area--there used to be a good Basque eatery down by the RR tracks. Maybe camp up high at Angles Lake or Angles Creek out of Wells.

Darryl's right: Get to Lamoille Canyon and camp at Thomas Canyon CG in that amazing glacial valley. It may be busy but it is beautiful and there would be good dog walking at the end of the road, by the tarn. I like the roads from Lamoille or Halleck that take you over the Humbolts at Secret Pass and then to the dirt road leading south past and Ruby Lake and finally pavement again at 50.

Lots of nowhere out there, indeed!

Cool, Google Earth has some good shots of the area. This trip wasn't what I was planning but is sounding pretty good. Hell's Canyon and the Ruby areas are new too me and look great. They call Hwy 50 the loneliest road so what do you call the road that runs South from Ruby to Ely?? Must be something like the wacko lonely suicidal road or some such thing. Sounds like run off it a significant problem in some of those areas right now, we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom