Help adding a 12v Fridge to a 09' Eagle

dslada760

Greetings all!
I am working on upgrading my 2009 Eagle and want to add a 12v fridge. I've added 150w solar panel and charger. I plan on upgrading to AGM batteries to assist with draw down during the night. As of now, the camper only has one battery in it (non agm).

Any recommendations on 12v 2 way fridges and battery set up thoughts??

I'm not looking to break the bank, as it is an older camper and will likely upgrade in a couple of years. But until then, I'd like to add some creature comforts to this awesome older rig.

Any information is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Doug

IMG_9332.1.jpg

I’m very partial to lithium batteries at this point, but I understand you want to limit spending. Regarding the fridge, this sounds like a situation where it may make sense to buy a high quality portable cooler style compressor fridge/freezer. You can then keep it if you change campers later.

Doug, are you interested in a cabinet type refrigerator, or a chest style? We have an Engel 45 liter top loader that we are happy with. Truck fridge is another unit that people like. Depending on how you camp, you might consider an additional (portable) solar panel.

I put this 12v fridge in my camper last year:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/dometic-crx-65-refrigerator?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0oagBhDHARIsAI-BbgfcS3cDE7eUzTgPN3C-RNZbnJvH4QgC-zaBkY5vWTt_3hQDcsU_aK0aAnIbEALw_wcB

Replaced the janky 3 way fridge that came with it. If you have a converter in your camper setup, you don't need to spend the extra and get a 2-way fridge. I have a 100 W solar panel and 100 Ah lithium battery system. Everything seems to balance out nicely. The fridge draws about 3 A when running at steady state.

tstumpfig said:
I put this 12v fridge in my camper last year:

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/dometic-crx-65-refrigerator?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0oagBhDHARIsAI-BbgfcS3cDE7eUzTgPN3C-RNZbnJvH4QgC-zaBkY5vWTt_3hQDcsU_aK0aAnIbEALw_wcB

Replaced the janky 3 way fridge that came with it. If you have a converter in your camper setup, you don't need to spend the extra and get a 2-way fridge. I have a 100 W solar panel and 100 Ah lithium battery system. Everything seems to balance out nicely. The fridge draws about 3 A when running at steady state.
I like you point about only needing the 12v. Is it that when plugged into shore power the Iota is used to convert the 120 to 12v to run the fridge as the fridge is already wired into the system as 12v? Did you just use the 12v wiring that was hooked up to your old 3-way fridge? Thanks

Side notes:

1) That linked fridge page is the first time I have seen a web page present useful power consumption data in proper units with the corresponding temperature conditions. I wish they all would do that.

2) Regarding my suggestion to consider portable fridge/freezers: They will be rejecting their heat into the camper rather than outside the way an installed fridge wouid. If you do a lot of hot weather camping a built in is probably a better choice.

Check out the ARB units, very low power draw and keeps the beer just the way I like it, cold !!!!!!! They are awesome for a portable unit

I want to get one of those ARB two-section fridge/freezers to put in the back seat of my truck. I have to figure out how I’m going to get power in there from my truck’s isolated second battery. It’s down low on my project list right now, but eventually will happen.

Thanks y'all! This will all help me figure out what my next step will be

Got to love this community :cool:

Outnabout said:
I like you point about only needing the 12v. Is it that when plugged into shore power the Iota is used to convert the 120 to 12v to run the fridge as the fridge is already wired into the system as 12v? Did you just use the 12v wiring that was hooked up to your old 3-way fridge? Thanks
Correct, when you're plugged into shore power the converter will provide 12v to the fridge. I just used the existing wires from the old 3 way fridge. Literally just connected two sets of wires for the install, pretty simple.

Edit: It will provide 12v to your battery, which will then power your fridge

Back
Top Bottom