Help! Camper Collision Repair in Portland

Rockfish

Hello all,

Just got rear ended today by a delivery truck. The Fourwheel took a direct hit to the left rear corner with damage to the aluminum frame and skin and jack bracket. However, these campers are tough; the frame is still square and the door and pop up works fine. Does anyone know of a good shop in Portland that could do the repairs. Unfortunately, I don't have time to drive to the factory.

Many Thanks!

Because The Other Driver Will Likely Be Paying Through His Company Or Their Insurance, I'd Highly Recommend The Drive To FWC For Factory Repairs. They Should Pay Travel Or Shipping Costs Associated With This Type Or Quality Of Repair Due To Specialized Build Of Their Product Line. I Know This Isn't What You Wanted To Hear Because You Need The Camper. Maybe FWC Would Rent You Another?

Kilroy,

We're always up for a road trip, and ordinarily we would be more then happy to head south to FWC headquarters. However, the wife just had surgery, I'm the caregiver, thus we are stuck in Portlandia. Terry, the Service Manager at FWC has been most helpful in willing to work with a shop in P-Town. I found a local vendor today who was unfamiliar with the Four Wheel brand, but after reviewing their website, and talking with Terry, he was very impressed with the quality of the campers and the helpfulness of the FWC staff . I was ready to drop the rig off, but alas, his owner was unwilling to accept the work for "liability" concerns. So, the hunt continues.

Rockfish,

When you do find a place and the repairs are done. Let us know how it turned out and who did it. I'm in the Portland area as well and it would be nice to know who to go to....or not in this area. Good luck in the search.

[SIZE=medium]If the insurance will pay then have FWC pick it up and fix it and deliver it back to you. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Explain to the insurance company that they are the only ones (besides ATC) that can repair the damage. It was new condition (assuming) and it was not your fault that it is not in that same condition as before. You have the right to get it fixed and the factory for this type of item might be your only option. Don't settle because you cannot see unforeseen damage until the skin is removed and the frame is inspected. Get names and info from all the local and near local repair shops that turn you down to show the insurance company that the best place is the FWC factory. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What choice do they have… They can pay you off but you need an estimate. How to get an estimate that is accurate? That would be at the factory, they are the ones that would know, but still there could be unforeseen damage under the skin that could boost the cost.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Are they are going to pay you your time and expenses to deliver to the factory and pick it up? How can the insurance company’s estimator that inspects the damage really know or has even see a FWC give a accurate cost to pay you off?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stay on them when you can between being the care giver for your wife. Good luck. [/SIZE]

RockFish, How's The Hunt Going? What Did You Decide? Inquiring Minds Want To Know How This Saga Turned Out...

Kilroy,

After the excellent advice from this forum, my desire is to ship the camper back to FWC where I know the repairs will be done right. However, getting the insurance company to cooperate with a factory repair is proving difficult. They can't seem to comprehend the unique nature of this product. They are supposed to have an answer for me early next week, and time is of the essence. FWC is doing an install in the Portland area in mid October and there may be room on their trailer for the return trip back to the mothership. I may just have to bite the bullet, take what the insurance offers and pay the freight charges. I'll know soon if this company really is "on my side".

Glad To Hear Your Making Progress, Albeit Slow... I Hope It Turns Out In Your Favor! Keep Us Informed.

I hope Rockfish is doing ok. I was hoping to see how his progress went on the repairs!

Standing by for news:

Rockfish,

Maybe try Van Specialties? There is also Panther RV up in Vancouver who could possibly do the work? Like others have mentioned, I'd try and go straight to FWC...

f.

Is the camper insured through an auto insurance policy, or is it covered under your homeowners/renters/etc? Do you know? I am asking because you may need to get your own insurer involved to chase them around a while. Please do not allow a shop unaffiliated with FWC work on it no matter how hard they pressure you. If they insist to try and total it, you need to point them to the historical sale posts/records of this forum to justify very little (if any) depreciation from new, and consider shipping, sales tax, document and delivery fees as well.

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in responding....been busier than the proverbial one legged rear end kicker.

Here's the status report on the camper repairs. Brenda at FWC arranged for pickup in mid October. I met their driver Kirk at 6:45 am, and within 15 minutes the camper was expertly lifted off my truck (using just three jacks), and on to his trailer. By 7:00 am we were both on our way.

I spoke with the factory yesterday and the work should be done in a couple of weeks, with delivery back to me as space allows on their next trip through P-town. The timing is fine as we have no travel plans until next Spring.

Through this entire ordeal the Fourwheel staff have been super helpful and their service first rate.

Thanks to those on the WTW forum for recommending factory repairs. The process has been flawless, and I'm sure the Hawk will be good as new.

Cheers,
Rockfish

[SIZE=medium]That is good news. The real question now is how and what did the insurance agree to. Make sure FWC documents everything down to every part being used and cost and labor. Don’t leave any gray area that the insurance can get a tooth into. Hopefully it all goes smooth as it should. Enjoy you camper in the spring.[/SIZE]

Great to hear this rockfish. I too am curious as to what pvstoy is asking from the post above. Keep us informed please sir.

Back
Top Bottom