Help identifying solar plug type

Horseshoe

Advanced Member
I have a 2011 Cougar which appears to be prewired for portable solar. I recently purchased a 160W portable panel and am hoping someone can help identify what is needed to plug into the camper. Can someone tell me what this piece is called? Is there a standard size? The guys at Home Depot left me more confused than when I walked in.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 110
Be sure to determine the rest of the wiring.

For example, do the interior wires go straight to the battery, or to a solar charge controller?
Does your solar panel have a solar charge controller attached to the panel?
There needs to be one solar charge controller between the solar panel and the battery. If you hook the panel directly to the battery, you will soon need another battery.

If you are new to solar power in an RV, Handy Bob Solar is a good place to visit. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
Of course, there is a lot of good info on this site. It can be useful to read before hooking up wires.

Paul

Be careful with those plugs. There have been some where the polarity wasn't what it was supposed to be. Don't assume its correct just because it only fits one way.

craig333 said:
Be careful with those plugs. There have been some where the polarity wasn't what it was supposed to be. Don't assume its correct just because it only fits one way.
I was going to mention the polarity issue also. Just something to be aware of when connecting two plugs together. One needs to be the reverse of the other.

I had the same concern on the polarity. I'll give ATC a call and see if they can confirm which is which. Sure will be nice if I can use that Zamp extension, although I'll have to solve the other end of the puzzle wiring it to the controller.

Its a solarcynergy from solarblvd.com. The verdict is still out but I really hope to use this on an upcoming boondocking trip to the north rim area in May.

Called marty last week to confirm + and - wiring from solar. green was +. black -. Also bought the renogy mc4 to sae 2pin converter. one side clicked right in. the other struggled. would not lock down. I ended up taping it but disliked that. cut the converter off and went with the extra 2 pin (male) ATC gave me. the other thing I did not care for, on the mc4 converter, was that it was really stiff and stuck up further than the sae 2pin. would not have been an issue if my solar pre wire was not coming out of my roof. It did not make a very good 90 degree turn to get to my panel. more of a higher arching loop.

Back
Top Bottom