Help me choose a functional budget truck.

Gene,

I think you drank the dodge cool aid :D. I have a first gen Taco that has 180,000 miles on it...nearly all of them carrying some type weight (usually between 800 and 1,400 lbs). I have taken that truck everywhere and have never had an axle break, never smoked my brakes, and have not had to replace my clutch. To be fair I do have to admit that my father taught me how to drive...and when I say that I mean drive for the vehicle you are driving in. I also have to admit that I upgraded the Taco's suspension to handle the weight and I drive appropriately when its loaded.

I can't tell you how many trips I have been on where the guys in the full size trucks are riding their breaks....and smoking them or get stuck because of their long wheel base.

I don't want to bash full size trucks because just like smaller trucks they have their place and serve there purpose. But there is no way you can take a full size truck all the places you can take a Taco just like there is no way you can take a Taco to all the places you can take a jeep.

I think it is really a matter of opinion but I think it is unfair to say that small trucks are out when it comes to hauling a camper or for wheeling in remote places.

If you drive a Ferrari like a truck you are going to break it.....If you drive a truck like a Ferrari you are going to break it....

you do make some good points about mileage....and the ability to travel longer distances. But what about reliability the big three are notoriously bad for that.

I keep coming back to. If you know the limitations of your vehicle and you know what you are doing you won't get yourself into trouble.

I look forward to seeing you out on the trail sometime. I love the music that you post. I live on Redwood Creek in Humboldt County and we have lots of Old time and Bluegrass up here.

You should look up Striped Pig or Wrangle Town sometime....a few friends of mine.

Cheers,

Hi Cort,

I have played with many of the musicians in Arcata. Arcata being one of my favorite places. You may know Nina Weisman or Wendy Cole? Plus, your city is the only city in California working on a plan to feed its inhabitants when the inevitable end of oil arrives in the not distant future.

I've had over 25 years worth of Toyotas, pickups and cruisers, driven them all over USA, Canada, Mexico and North Africa. Sadly, they just are not what they used to be. Now with much lower payloads, vacuum and electric connects, front CV joints etc, well they just don't do what they used to do. Generally I had a simple shell but I did do a trip to Arctic Canada and back with a Fourwheel Camper on a Toyota. Even after installing a compensating bracket for the brake proportioning valve, the damn thing still would hardly stop without planning well ahead. I drove a Chevy 1/2 ton through Alaska, Yukon and NWT. It had a compact overhead camper. You could hardly stop the thing in a hurry. Scary stuff. The brakes on a 3/4 ton are thankfully huge.

I didn't go full size until 2003. The low gears and power reduced many of these previously challenging roads to a much easier drive.

I was worried about trails being too narrow or tight. Then "duh", the lightbulb went on in my head. I realized my prejudices were unfounded. All these trails we drive (the legal ones at least) were made by, for the most part, as mining roads or service roads. Were these roads made by crews of mini-trucks with mini-bulldozers? No, they were made by and for full size trucks. Lippincott, Steele Pass, piece of cake.

Like so many of us, I spent years wondering why anyone would buy a full size truck. Now that I have lived both sides of the fence, I can appreciate the benefits of both. I do lean to the heavy duty trucks. I guess I like a margin of safety, comfort and something built from the factory to do the job as designed.

About reliability, I had a 2003 Ford F250 gasser. I did have tons of major problems with it. My 2006 Cummins has been flawless, never a single problem even with the hard duty it performs. I am sure some people have had problems with their Dodges, but I have had great luck. Most people swear by Toyota, but my friend's 2006 Tacoma has been in the shop quite a bit. Give me solid front axle, excellent stock articulation, locked hubs, a real truck clutch, 600 pounds of torque at 1500 rpm and 20 mpg, I am happy.

I can see a time where I can use a smaller truck again. But now that I have experienced a diesel, it'll have to be a small diesel with some serious gearing and some truck-like payload such as the Mahindra had almost promised or the VW Amarok offers everywhere in the world,except (of course) the USA. And make mine a manual trans, please.

Cheers to you as well, maybe see you out there in the wilds.

Gene

I have a 2003 Tundra access cab with a 2000 Hawk. I love it. I also am a big Toyota fan and own several landcruisers -

I have towed my FJ40 from So Cal to Moab behind the Tundra several times with no problems. I also have enjoyed taking my Tundra to several remote places in Death Valley, the Panamints, and Mojave deserts all in comfort.

Bottom line is get what works for you - everyone has different needs and opinions

I have had very good luck with Toyota 4 cylinder mini trucks (i'm on my third one). The motors will last over 300, 000 miles, if you change the oil every 3,000 miles. The 4WD on many were not used that much because before the PreRunner most people bought the 4WD because they wanted a lifted truck. I bought my '99 4 cylinder 4WD Tacoma new. I average 20mpg city and 23 highway with a 2004 Flip Pac installed full time - used mostly for winter desert camping. I have always liked being able to use the bed for transporting my model airplanes and wood hauling when not camping. I rigged a cross bar across the back and have a seat covering a porta potti in the front of the bed. I lay wood on top of it and it works well for short distances.
I have never taken the shell off prefering to use a trailer for larger hauling when needed. The Tacoma has been very reliable. Milege is currently 142,000. Front brakes replaced at 92,000 miles. Rears are original. I replaced the starter at 122K miles. I'm on my second battery, third set of Desert dualers (second set went 69,000 miles). I did have to increase the payload as the stock suspension bottomed out with a load of camping gear for two. I added an extra leaf (total of 5 leafs), Bilstein shocks, anti-sway bar. Tires are " C " rated 31x10.50. Flip Pac weight is 250 pounds.
Flip Pac has held up very well to the wash board roads I encounter in Death Valley, Mojave Desert, my usual exploring area. Milege dropped half mile per gallon after installation - daily commute. Great camping rig. I've had it in 40 mph cross-winds and rainy nights = no leaks, no tears. Marine canvass has held up well. My only complaint is no insullation (its a tent you know) so you need a good sleeping bag for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom