Help Me Decide Where To Go This September

brp

Advanced Member
He we go again!!! I can't tell you how jacked I am to be planning another big trip. It won't be until late August or early September, but it looks like I can get around 15 days free around those dates.

I want your suggestions as to where I should go.

I live in Minneapolis and will be traveling with my girlfriend, dog, and then 1 year old son. I would like to stay "close" because traveling with a baby is not the easiest, but he has a great attitude.

I was thinking about Telluride, central Wyoming, central Montana, sort of imagine a 1,000 mile radius from Mpls reaching west and southwest. With the baby it would work out a little better to base camp a few days at a time.
And I love hotsprings.

Around Telluride I was thinking of the town itself, Imogene Pass, American Basin, Valley View Hot Springs, etc.
Has anybody camped on Imogene or in American Basin?

In Montana I love Red Lodge and the are south of there towards Yellowstone, but I have been there a few times and something new may be fun.

Let me know what you think. I know this thread is pretty early, but I want to leave now. Thanks

On your way you might want to go through the Black Hills, beautiful area and some decent Forest Service campsites, Spearfish Canyon, etc. Also Badlands NP has a more remote campground and Devils Tower is a cool place. Might also want to at least go through Rocky Mountain NP via Fall River Road. The NP CG's seem to suck but just outside the park past Grand Lake are some great FS options (North side of road). There is a road in the Red Mountain mining area (just N of Silverton)that parallels US550 but 1000+' higher, very cool places Also camping in Eureka and just NW of Silverton there is a developed FS camp but also lots of free camping along the river there. Later is better for colors and crowds.

Back
Top Bottom