Help me find dispersed sites

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric
Site Team
So, I hate to admit it on this forum, but... I am new to dispersed site camping. We've done lots of backbacking, NP, NF and State Parks, but almost no BLM and dispersed camping.

We are planning on a 3 week trip, mostly along the Burr trail and the Bullfrog/Notom road to catch all the small slot canyons. I'm trying to find sites that are not listed with the Allstays/Freecampsites/Ultimate Campground apps.

For example, take a look at these GPS co-ordinates that I found using Google Earth: All are very near Pleasant creek on the Bullfrog/Notom road east of Capitol Reef. Are these legit spots?

38.259247, -111.119183
38.260812, -111.118400
38.259703, -111.117714
38.258964, -111.115213

Vic

Yes, however, they are kind of close to the pavement.
For first time dispersed camping that could be a good thing.
Just a bit of traffic noise, if there is any traffic (probably not much).

My specific assessment is #4 is the best because it is downhill or level back to the pavement, thus easy route if things get wet, and it is farthest from the pavement. It is exposed (no trees), so if there is wind, might not be that pleasant.

#2 is a close second best, as it is sheltered a bit with the tress around the site. A little bit up hill in one short section back to pavement, so, I'd be watching the weather a bit for getting the dirt road wet, more than at #4.

For #1 & #3, nothing special about them. If the others are taken, then these would be good.

Otherwise, IMO, you are looking for the right characteristics in GoogleEarth. You should have some degree of confidence in pre-planning where to camp. And, then once out there, you can always follow your nose and find other sites that look good... where does that road go?

With this formatting you can individually copy and paste into Google Earth's search function -

38.259247°N 111.119183°W

38.260812°N 111.118400°W

38.259703°N 111.117714°W

38.258964°N 111.115213°W

Vic, I’d call or stop in at a BLM office or the GSENM visitors center to get some ideas on places that are good for dispersed camping. I’d also order (Amazon) the Photographing the Southwest books by Laurent Martes (Vol 1 is S Utah). They won’t specify camping, but they will get you into neat country where you can find them yourself.

ski3pin said:
With this formatting you can individually copy and paste into Google Earth's search function -

38.259247°N 111.119183°W

38.260812°N 111.118400°W

38.259703°N 111.117714°W

38.258964°N 111.115213°W
I was able to use Vic's formatting without modification, just copied and pasted each one right into my GoogleEarth search function.

I just tested your format of the coordinates, and they worked as well for me.

I do know that GoogleEarth can be have various preferences set, however, I'd be hard pressed to say exactly how I have mine (too tedious to look at all the parameters).

Alley-Kat said:
I was able to use Vic's formatting without modification, just copied and pasted each one right into my GoogleEarth search function.

I just tested your format of the coordinates, and they worked as well for me.

I do know that GoogleEarth can be have various preferences set, however, I'd be hard pressed to say exactly how I have mine (too tedious to look at all the parameters).
Thanks Alley, that's interesting as I get yelled at for not having north or south for latitude or east or west for longitude.

Vic, as an addition to this discussion I use caltopo.com and click the land management overlay to confirm a possible dispersed site is on public land such as USFS or BLM.

I am not sure those are legit. There is a lot of private land between the turn off from 24, and the park, you can see the irrigated areas in the satellite view, but much of the area along the creeks is also private. But it will be easy to tell when you get there. Trying to pre-pick camp sites from google earth can lead to disappointment. There is lots of good camping up on top of the Reef off the Burr Trail, which is also likely to be a bit cooler in summer.

Also the slot canyons off notom-bullfrog are not the most interesting if you are interested in really tight slots, there are more interesting options off hole in the rock rd.

My primary source for planning dispersed camping is the USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps, along with Benchmark/Delorme atlas'. The Motor Vehicle Use Maps can be downloaded (PDF) from each FS district office but I request paper copies, as I prefer to do planning on the 36"X48" paper rather than scrolling up and down on a screen. I supplement those with USGS 1:24000 topo maps if I want more detail than the atlas' give me (also downloadable free from USGS store). I use Google Earth to eliminate sites not find them. I agree with rando that what looks good on Google Earth can disappoint.

The MVU maps will also give you information on dispersed camping, road restrictions and other useful information. I always try to stop at a ranger station to get the latest information, especially on problems. Most rangers I have talked with are very willing to make recommendations.

Information on dispersed camping on BLM and Corps of Engineering land is harder to obtain.

jim

COE has a good camping guide that lists all CG's, rules , regs, etc by state, It costs about $15.00 and you can get it on Amazon; As mentioned above, once you know which area you are going to be in, contact the respective BLM,USFWS or FS field office for info, maps and camping on those lands. You really need to do this during fire season . Try also the web site, Publiclands.org for maps and general area data. Secret source: try to contact the various state forestry depts for maps and data -most of these forest/res areas are lesser know to the general public and contain lot's of opportunities for camping/recreation and usually are managed apart from the state divisions of parks and recreation. When you gas up or stop for some supplies ask the clerk-never know about some of the local hot spots.

Smoke

ski3pin said:
Vic, as an addition to this discussion I use caltopo.com and click the land management overlay to confirm a possible dispersed site is on public land such as USFS or BLM.
Ski-- thanks for that info. I spent much of the morning trying to find land ownership info for those coordinates in Vic's post with no luck. I found lots of GIS info on Utah and BLM sites but nothing easy to use.

Also-

Here's a quick map of Vic's sites I made in just a few minutes on caltopo. I turned on the Land Management layer then added four markers using Add Object | Add Marker and made up a label (Vic1, etc), then did a copy/paste of the coordinates from Vic's post (four separate times).

(the image below is a screen-print from my Mac. It saved as a png file and was much too large for WtW so I did a SaveAs to a jpeg (in Preview) and used the slider to cut the size to under 500K)

So if I understand the color scheme, those positions are on Bureau of Land Management / Bureau of Reclamation land but just a short distance away one wanders into National Park Service or State lands (and therefore different land management policies).

It may still be a good idea to contact BLM about these locations in case there's some reason the caltopo data is wrong or there's something temporary going on there.

(Click to enlarge)

VicScreenShot.jpg

ski3pin said:
This is a great tool, thanks!

rando said:
I am not sure those are legit. There is a lot of private land between the turn off from 24, and the park, you can see the irrigated areas in the satellite view, but much of the area along the creeks is also private. But it will be easy to tell when you get there. Trying to pre-pick camp sites from google earth can lead to disappointment. There is lots of good camping up on top of the Reef off the Burr Trail, which is also likely to be a bit cooler in summer.

Also the slot canyons off notom-bullfrog are not the most interesting if you are interested in really tight slots, there are more interesting options off hole in the rock rd.
Using caltopo.com and the land managment overlay, it looks to be BLM land. So, good to go!

We are doing the Burr Trail too, and hiking there as well. Any recommended hikes and camp sites on that road or Bullfrog/Notom with GPS co-ords would be most welcome!

JaSAn said:
My primary source for planning dispersed camping is the USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps, along with Benchmark/Delorme atlas'. The Motor Vehicle Use Maps can be downloaded (PDF) from each FS district office but I request paper copies, as I prefer to do planning on the 36"X48" paper rather than scrolling up and down on a screen. I supplement those with USGS 1:24000 topo maps if I want more detail than the atlas' give me (also downloadable free from USGS store). I use Google Earth to eliminate sites not find them. I agree with rando that what looks good on Google Earth can disappoint.

The MVU maps will also give you information on dispersed camping, road restrictions and other useful information. I always try to stop at a ranger station to get the latest information, especially on problems. Most rangers I have talked with are very willing to make recommendations.

Information on dispersed camping on BLM and Corps of Engineering land is harder to obtain.

jim
Thanks Jim. I have the Benchmark book for Utah, and thanks for pointing out those USFS Use maps!

Vic,
It is a campground but Cedar Mesa is on Bullfrog-Notom road and is a Capitol Reef campground, sits on the very edge of the park. I've stayed there several times and never seen anyone else. Pit toilet, tables and fire pits. Only about 6 to 8 sites, free I think. Ron

nikonron said:
Vic,
It is a campground but Cedar Mesa is on Bullfrog-Notom road and is a Capitol Reef campground, sits on the very edge of the park. I've stayed there several times and never seen anyone else. Pit toilet, tables and fire pits. Only about 6 to 8 sites, free I think. Ron
Thanks Ron! I had seen that one too, using FreeCampsites.net. Great to know that you have never seen anyone there; where you there in the off-season? We are planning on being there in May.

As an aside, we had hoped to meet friends who don't do gravel and stay for a bit in Fruita at the NP CG, but they have moved to a reservation based system vs first come first served this year, and it is all booked up. So, no "civilized" friends and we are planning an almost exclusively BLM/NF 3 week trip.

I expect we will stop at Cedar Mesa for at least one night. The 4 sites I listed above were a "test" to see if I was "doing it right" - that is, scoping out spots. Plus the site is really close to the Burro Wash TH.

Based on the great input here, my confidence and tool kit for finding sites has increaced immensely since starting this thread yesterday!!

Hi Vic, we met briefly last year at Capito Reef NP. I can't comment on the specific sites you are researching, but as a general rule I regard BLM land (especially in remote areas) as open to dispersed camping unless there is a sign banning it.

And with regard to free & low-cost campsites while traveling in the West, the best ones I have used are OvernightRVCamping & iOverlander. Both, IMHO, are better than the usual standbys, freecampsites.net & campendium.

LiveLifeNow said:
Hi Vic, we met briefly last year at Capito Reef NP. I can't comment on the specific sites you are researching, but as a general rule I regard BLM land (especially in remote areas) as open to dispersed camping unless there is a sign banning it.

And with regard to free & low-cost campsites while traveling in the West, the best ones I have used are OvernightRVCamping & iOverlander. Both, IMHO, are better than the usual standbys, freecampsites.net & campendium.
Yes, we did meet there! You were my first WtW encounter while out on travels, and I have really appreciated your tip on iOverlander since then. Thanks again for that, and your friendly attitude!

Back
Top Bottom