Help Me Start From Scratch

dasadab said:
Thanks for all the helpful responses. One last question: The aluminum Ford F150 shaves a about 700 pounds off the prior version. Anyone consider the aluminum F150 and a Hawk or Grandby?
Thanks.
It depends on the payload package. You can get load carrying capacities in the 2700 to 3050 pound range with an 8' bed and 4X4 with the 2015 F150.

As a reference, I use up about 3000 lbs of my F350's 4000 lb payload. I did research new trucks when I thought I needed to sell my old camper with the truck as a package. While I am much happier being under weight than slightly overweight, I was considering using an F150.

As another reference, the shipping weight of my Grandby with shower and cassette toilet was 1379 lbs. Water, food, tools, toys, firewood and 2 people make up the rest of the 3000 lbs. Everything from the rubber bed liner to the flashlight in the glovebox uses up the carrying capacity. It is just about guaranteed that you will weigh more than you expect to if you get the setup weighed.

DesertDave said:
It is just about guaranteed that you will weigh more than you expect to if you get the setup weighed.
Totally agree. Just for kicks I weighed my Ram 2500/ Hawk recently. With full water and fuel it weighed 8900#. And the problem? GVWR is 8800#! And the missus wasn't even on board for the weighing!

Remember this is with a 3/4 ton PU. It really does add up!

Durango1 said:
Totally agree. Just for kicks I weighed my Ram 2500/ Hawk recently. With full water and fuel it weighed 8900#. And the problem? GVWR is 8800#! And the missus wasn't even on board for the weighing!

Remember this is with a 3/4 ton PU. It really does add up!
I've said sizing a truck for payload is like sizing a hard drive for a PC. You need more than you think.

I don't fill the tank on my toilet. Just use a cup of water if necessary. Hard drive analogy doesn't work for me. Still have 866gb free of 931.

Back
Top Bottom