help on Fox 2.5 shocks

dennis 221

so I run a tundra an hawk camper. looking for help ON what setting you use when driving highways? getting Fox shocks put on monday an asking what setting you found to be best for highway driving! camper is ON 99% of time an we off road when out west! Am looking for the most comfortable ride getting out west! thanks

You are likely the trail-blazer on those. I'd suggest starting at full soft and incrementally keep adding damping until the truck rides and drives like you want it to. Don't be afraid to go too far. If you do, just back up to the previous setting.

If these shocks allow separate control of the amount of damping (resistance to motion) of compression and of rebound (extension), one rule is to always allow some certain amount of greater resistance to rebound than to compression. This prevents rapid motions from causing a sort of pumping or lifting of ride height, and assuming it’s best to allow less resistance to bumps than to potholes. This said, another variable is that typical semi-elliptical leaf spring packs have their own resistance to compression but tend to snap back quickly upon rebound. That means different settings with front coils and rear leafs. Too little damping is better than too much. And, like springs, how the rear reacts the fraction of a second after the front hits a bump or hole is also a factor, with different shock settings or spring rate (firmness) for springs depending on design speed. So, everything will be a compromise. I’m not a mechanic or engineer, but did deal with this on early Mustangs generations ago, had several texts on suspension design, and know that principles are the same. I expect to do a lot of trial and error if a set goes on either our F350 with a camper or the Jeep Rubicon.

I would expect that many have BT, DT with a Rubi and that the settings would be well known. Possible for the same with the Ford, though likely a much smaller data set. I don't have much expectation for this with a Tundra, but I hope that I'm wrong.

It is a hard concept to grasp as it is very counter-intuitive, but when a vehicle hits a bump it is not the suspension's compression that you feel. It is the spring's rebound. Tune the rebound to best ride quality. Then tune compression to best vehicle control on a loose surface.

Back
Top Bottom