HELP, What step combo do U use to enter & exit camper?

hitch mounted steps

I picked up a set of the hitch mount double steps and had a chance to try them out this past weekend. They worked just great!

BTW - I needed a hitch extension to clear the tailgate...

Attachments

• 20070609009.jpg
    20070609009.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 958
  • 20070609014.jpg
    20070609014.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 968
Thanks Jim,

That gives me the illusion that it is out in space and way back there like you need a hand rail for OSHA requirements :D . Do you un-hitch it when you drive?

jim nice set up, steps look cool. edohart, that is a cool link, great idea. my old newfoundland is having troubles getting into the camper, i may be buying one of those units! thanks a bunch...

Patrick,
It sure does look like it is out there in the pictures but with the 14" extension it fits great with the tailgate down. It is much more stable than a step that sits on the ground IMHO :D

I take the step off when traveling since the bottom step is lower than the receiver height and back so far it would certainly hit.

Different URL for the twistep

I don't know what is going on with the original URL I posted for the twistep, but http://www.twistep.com has the same thing and an even better step for use on a pickup with a tail gate. I ordered one today. I'm still thinking of welding a piece of steel to the bottom of the draw tube on my bike rack. The only problem is the step I have in mind for the bike rack is small enough that the dogs try to jump over it (I built a wood box that would fill the same space as a test unit), which usually means they hit it and end up limping around for a few minutes.

Ed,
I really like the looks of the twist step but my tailgate is so high on the Tundra that I really need more than one step. Plus on the double step, the top step is higher than the hitch insert which works out perfectly.

anyone seen a step that mounts on the tire to access the roof rack for instance...feel like i have seen these before???

Here are some shots of the prototype (or is it the finish product? I'm not too sure at this point) back porch/tail gate I added last fall after busting my knee once too often with the rear wheels 5" off the ground on leveling blocks. We also missed the tail gate for having a cold one at the end of the trail and this has worked great. With some modification it could serve as addition hauling space but isn't intended for that. We found along the way that the standard door latch caused the door to block part of seating so I changed the latch to allow the door to swing completely open. In relocating the latch I replaced the original screws along with a little putty to seal the old holes and attempted to clean up the putty residue with various solvents. None of the solvents I used broke the putty completely. Does anyone know what I can use to clean the remaining spots?

Attachments

• phpXHFQI0PM.jpg
    phpXHFQI0PM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 853
  • php0GGM8OPM.jpg
    php0GGM8OPM.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 868
  • phpjXyF7BPM.jpg
    phpjXyF7BPM.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 874
  • phpPbSrnGPM.jpg
    phpPbSrnGPM.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 856
  • phplBirywPM.jpg
    phplBirywPM.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 858
hate to say it but...gasoline works great! be careful though and clean the surfaces right away after application.

Another step

While waiting at the dentist office...

I found an article in "TrailerLife Aug 07" about another truck step, "BedStep mounts to the truck's driver side bumper bracket".

Gives easy access to pickup beds even with the tailgate down

Made of high-strength aluminum alloy

Black anodized and powder coat finish for long-term durability

Rugged stepping platform supports up to 300 pounds of weight

Five-minute, easy bolt-on installtion

3-year limited warranty

Made in USA

Patented. Other US and worldwide patents pending

http://www.amp-research.com/build/bedstep.asp
http://www.amp-research.com/pdf/Applications/BedStep_Broch_6.07web.pdf 1.7MB

The magazine article says, "...with an MSRP of $250, is an affordable, smart and safe way..." :eek:

Mike

P.S. I have no affiliation with this company. If this post is considered as advertising, please delete this post (but, not me).

Tail Gate Construction

At the request of 2llamas here are a few more shots of the tail gate and answers to llamas questions about the construction and attachment. Remember this was built as a prototype out of mostly material I had on hand and a few misc. bolts from the hardware store.
Questions:
1. Is the deck attached to the receiver? - No, though it could work very well with some additional support. The deck support is a piece of 2 x 8 DF bolted thru the bumper in three places. The lumber started splitting after about 8 months and I add 3 - 1/4" x 3" x 7" steel plates to reinforce it.
2. How is the stringer (deck support) attached to the deck? - With 4 - 3" free pin door hinges allowing a full 180 degree swing.
3. Do the cables on the side hold it steady against wobble? - Since the mounting is bolts and hinges the type of wobble you get from a receiver attachment doesn't happen. The cables, which are just pieces of chain covered with garden hose, only hold it in the horizontal position.
4. What do the cables attach to inside the bed? - The chains are bolted to the original tail gate cable attachment points.

I still hope to have a refined version of this built some time in the future, but who knows when or if that will happen.
2llamas, thanks for your interest. Hope this answers your questions, if not I'll be glad to provide more info.

Attachments

• HPIM0759 (Medium).jpg
    HPIM0759 (Medium).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 592
  • HPIM0756 (Medium).jpg
    HPIM0756 (Medium).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 597
  • HPIM0758 (Medium).jpg
    HPIM0758 (Medium).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 577
  • HPIM0757 (Medium).jpg
    HPIM0757 (Medium).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 572
  • HPIM0760 (Medium).jpg
    HPIM0760 (Medium).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 563
I use a 3 step Folding Kitchen Ladder

Greetings I'm pretty new at this stuff but I use a 3 step Folding Kitchen Ladder. I pull a Fishing boat so the Bumper hitch style doesn't fit my uses.

My wife of 37 years suggested I get a set of Folding steps that attach to the truck after she couldn't find our ladder that I removed from our garage to put in my camper. I told her Great I will the Folding steps we require are about $250.00 to $300.00 dollars. She told me don't hurt my back reaching for the ladder in the Granby and pick up another $29.00 folding ladder for the Garage.

I'm planning on an up-grade to my 3 step Folding Kitchen Ladder. I'll spray paint it red to match our truck.

Attachments

• garnby leeville 11 22 08.jpg
    garnby leeville 11 22 08.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 584
SG,
Nice back porch! We used to use our tailgate like that with our old camper. The best possible platform for contorting into the camper.

DLN,
Are you currently using the prototype??

My hickory, shinbusting back step....

Attachments

• DSCN1743.jpg
    DSCN1743.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 517
TT,
The prototype is still in use and going strong, I'd really prefer something sleeker and more finished but just haven't gotten around to it. If it ain't broken...well you know the rest.

I brought my hitch step with me last trip to the beach. Never put it in. Was cold enough and short enough trip I just left the ice chest out and used it as a step.

Modified Rear Step

Two people on this thread have posted pictures of the steps that I bought, and described several days ago in my posting titled "Rear Steps Idea". It tells the name and model number of the company. As mentioned, I modified it by cutting off bottom step and re-attaching it higher up to give more ground clearance. Works great. But, for the fellow described in this string raising the step may not be a good idea.

Lightweight 3 stepper

I found this lightweigh (less than 8 pounds) three stepper made by Cosco at Costco for around 30 dollars. Lowes also has them for around 40. I was using a two step folding step but find this one better for reaching the top racks and side windows. I still use the two stepper for reaching the bed area. Stores on it's side when moving.
Dsrtrat

Attachments

• rear steps 0011.jpg
    rear steps 0011.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 450
  • rear steps 003.jpg
    rear steps 003.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 441
  • rear steps 004.jpg
    rear steps 004.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 442
Back