Help with couch backrest design

Sev3en

I am looking at the design of the backrest that came with my FWC and I'm wondering if I can do it better (with a little help from you all). The current design is like my crude paint rendition.
couch.JPG

The blue "triangles" are solid and held in place with "L" brackets. When in couch mode they rest on the ledge under the window. (I know some of you know this already but for those who have the fancey new flip up/down couch I thought I'd do a dit of explaining).

It looks like from some pics on here that they switched to aluminum legs that swung down into place for the bed. How did this work in couch mode.

Anyways, if there are some suggestions out there I'm all ears. I'd love to see how some of the different systems work that have happened through the years.

How is ATC doing there couch/bed now?

Tchau
S.

Morning' Sev3en

I have the search feature going now on my computer.

I couldn't find any pics of the old couch design - diggng now to see what comes up.

Crazy, since we were using it for years & years.

Basic Overview:

The seat cushion(s) usually had the folding legs attached there.

The back rest on the couch was usually up on the upper edge of the camper, or wedged inbetween the outter step on the base of the camper and the seat cushions.

It looks like on yours, it might have been kept in place on the upper ledge near the side window.

The seat cushions with the legs would lift up so you could fold the legs out, and then the seat cushions would slide out into the floor isle area. There was usually a small block of wood on the bottom of the seat cushion to act as a "stop" to know when the couch seat was far enough out -- the legs would hold this section up. The back rest would then wedge in between the seat cushion and the edge of the camper.

The design worked OK, but had some flaws if you weren't careful.

I believe ATC has been using the same design, but have read on the forum they might be looking at different designs ?

There was a thread on this awhile back -- maybe here ...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

here are some pictures of the couch

these are of a camper much newer than yours, but should give you the idea of what the legs and wooden "stop" blocks look like

Attachments

• ShellCouch.jpg
    ShellCouch.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 390
  • ShellCouchOpen.jpg
    ShellCouchOpen.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 381
Sev3en
here are pics of a keystone couch hope this helps.
pm sent

Bobva

Attachments

• camp4.jpg
    camp4.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 386
  • camp7.jpg
    camp7.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 374
  • camp6.jpg
    camp6.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 358
I had PM'd Sev3en about sending him the extra bulkhead assembly before I offered it to Ben. Sev3en was out camping (d'uh!) and didn't respond for a few days, so in the mean time I offered to send it to Ben.

Meanwhile, I got busy and haven't done anything with it yet.

Sev3en and Ben, I can still send it to Sev3en first if you both want, or I can get off my tookus and send it to Ben.

I guess either way, I have to get off my tookus?

:rolleyes:

couch design

Either way works for me. I would just like to get my hands on it some time down the road to see how we might be able to incorporate it into the campers if we can. I am in no hurry though.

Sev3en, legs are yours for the cost of shipping

I had my couch replaced with the fancy flip over/fold down type. If you (or anyone else) wants my old fold down aluminum legs, send me a PM. They're a little tired, but still serviceable.

Back
Top Bottom