Help with FWC Hawk Shell Build (Delivered!)

imcolej

Advanced Member
Hello Small Army of Pop-up Truck Campers,

First off, thanks to everyone that contributes to this site. Your trip reports, DIY guides, and general information on pop-up truck campers has been really helpful and inspiring for my wife and I. I have been visiting this site for years now and it's looking like it is time for my young family to get in on some of this truck camping dream living!

The stats:

-Me and my wife, 8 month old son, and pit/lab mix.

-2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 4x4. I have e-rated BFG All-Terrains and need to get air bags or timbrens. I plan on leaving the camper on the truck for the most part.

-Bend, Oregon

Style of camping:

We are shifting from backpacking to family camping. We are comfortable with minimal gear but wanted the warmth and reduced set up time that a FWC provides. We live in Bend, OR and it can get chilly here at night year round. My wife and I want to camp often without worrying about the cold with our little guy. If she needs to nurse in the middle of the night, I want it to be comfortable for them etc. We got into a bunch of different FWC's at the last Portland Sportsmans Shows and we both felt that the hawk was spacious enough for us and our needs. We loved the utilitarian feel of the camper as we aren't looking for a full on RV.

After reading hundreds of threads I weighed the pros and cons of our particular situation and felt that the shell was our best option. Frankly, we can't afford a full on FWC anyway so that made it easy!

Below is our current option list. Any additional options will have to be critical as our budget is stretched as is. If you think we can save money somewhere, that will be very appreciated! I am not that handy myself but I have some friends that are. I'm sure they would help us out on a project. The two big options we have below are the furnace and front dinette. I really wanted a safe, vented heating set up from the factory so I'm pretty set on that. The front dinette is also one of the main features my wife liked at the show and I like that we get another bed in the camper as well for the dog or if it's just me and a buddy. I also like the open floor space that this setup provides with the swivel table being mounted to the wall. The interior layout I'm going for is like Frosty_01's recent hawk shell build (those tracks on the floor/bench are great!).

I would like to add an Engel mt45 fridge at some point so keep that in mind too. I was thinking of figuring out a way to set it up directly across from the furnace cabinet on the passenger side. I figured this could both balance the weight and my wife and I like this layout in general too. I was told that FWC won't wire for the fridge on that side in a shell so I will have to figure out how to do that down the road I guess.(Update: FWC ended up offering to wire to the passenger side of the camper so I'm all set)

Our current build:

FWC Hawk Shell
12 Volt Accessory Outlets
Screen Door
Furnace
Jack Brackets (aluminum)
Fantastic Fan
2 Burner Stove
Front Dinette w/ Swivel Table
10' Yakima tracks only
Solar Plug (Roof )
Auxiliary Battery System
Gas Struts

Thanks in advance for looking this build over. After all the time I have spent on this forum, I didn't feel it was right to order one of these bad boys without consulting all of you first. Hopefully I can start contributing some trip reports in about 6 weeks!

You may get this anyways but request the solar panel side of the connector. The wire that has the plug that would go into the solar plug on your roof. It is probably around $5.00 and may be hard to locate. That way, when you are ready, you will only need the solar panel and controller.

Request the bigger roof lifts. This may be standard now but it is worth checking. With no solar panel (yet) on the roof and just the rails, you are between the smaller and larger lifts. Like I said, the larger lifts are probably standard but it is easy to ask.

Steve

Hello Small Army of Pop-up Truck Campers,

First off, thanks to everyone that contributes to this site. Your trip reports, DIY guides, and general information on pop-up truck campers has been really helpful and inspiring for my wife and I. I have been visiting this site for years now and it's looking like it is time for my young family to get in on some of this truck camping dream living!

The stats:

-Me and my wife, 8 month old son, and pit/lab mix.

-2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 4x4. I have e-rated BFG All-Terrains and need to get air bags or timbrens. I plan on leaving the camper on the truck for the most part.

-Bend, Oregon

Style of camping:

We are shifting from backpacking to family camping. We are comfortable with minimal gear but wanted the warmth and reduced set up time that a FWC provides. We live in Bend, OR and it can get chilly here at night year round. My wife and I want to camp often without worrying about the cold with our little guy. If she needs to nurse in the middle of the night, I want it to be comfortable for them etc. We got into a bunch of different FWC's at the last Portland Sportsman Shows and we both felt that the hawk was spacious enough for us and our needs. We loved the utilitarian feel of the camper as we aren't looking for a full on RV.

After reading hundreds of threads I weighed the pros and cons of our particular situation and felt that the shell was our best option. Frankly, we can't afford a full on FWC anyway so that made it easy!

Below is our current option list. Any additional options will have to be critical as our budget is stretched as is. If you think we can save money somewhere, that will be very appreciated! I am not that handy myself but I have some friends that are. I'm sure they would help us out on a project. The two big options we have below are the furnace and front dinette. I really wanted a safe, vented heating set up from the factory so I'm pretty set on that. The front dinette is also one of the main features my wife liked at the show and I like that we get another bed in the camper as well for the dog or if it's just me and a buddy. I also like the open floor space that this setup provides with the swivel table being mounted to the wall. The interior layout I'm going for is like Frosty_01's recent hawk shell build (those tracks on the floor/bench are great!).

I would like to add an Engel mt45 fridge at some point so keep that in mind too. I was thinking of figuring out a way to set it up directly across from the furnace cabinet on the passenger side. I figured this could both balance the weight and my wife and I like this layout in general too. I was told that FWC won't prewire for the fridge on that side in a shell so I will have to figure out how to do that down the road I guess.

Our current build:

FWC Hawk Shell
12 Volt Accessory Outlets
Screen Door
Furnace
Jack Brackets (aluminum)
Fantastic Fan
2 Burner Stove
Front Dinette w/ Swivel Table
10' Yakima tracks only
Solar Plug (Roof )
Auxiliary Battery System
Gas Struts

Thanks in advance for looking this build over. After all the time I have spent on this forum, I didn't feel it was right to order one of these bad boys without consulting all of you first. Hopefully I can start contributing some trip reports in about 6 weeks!

For a shell model, you should also look at All Terrain campers. The cost of their shell model is very reasonable and has not changed in the last few years. But only FWC has composite lift panels and one piece roof. Good luck.

You may get this anyways but request the solar panel side of the connector. The wire that has the plug that would go into the solar plug on your roof. It is probably around $5.00 and may be hard to locate. That way, when you are ready, you will only need the solar panel and controller.

Request the bigger roof lifts. This may be standard now but it is worth checking. With no solar panel (yet) on the roof and just the rails, you are between the smaller and larger lifts. Like I said, the larger lifts are probably standard but it is easy to ask.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve, I'll make sure to follow up on these things with FWC.

For a shell model, you should also look at All Terrain campers. The cost of their shell model is very reasonable and has not changed in the last few years. But only FWC has composite lift panels and one piece roof. Good luck.

Thanks Super Doody, I'll run the numbers on an ATC shell as well. I have seen that they have a lot of happy customers as well.

Thanks Super Doody, I'll run the numbers on an ATC shell as well. I have seen that they have a lot of happy customers as well.

We are very happy with our ATC camper. You can check it out at the blog link below. ATC is very easy to work with on custom features like the wiring you mentioned. We do our cooking outside unless the weather is really bad so we didn't get a stove or sink/water system. We do have a fridge. I made a simple shelf for doing tasks like cooking and washing dishes inside when we want to. Works well. Good luck with your order. Glad to hear trip reports will be forthcoming. TRs (with lots of pictures) are a seemingly mandatory aspect of getting advice here. :D

We are very happy with our ATC camper. You can check it out at the blog link below. ATC is very easy to work with on custom features like the wiring you mentioned. We do our cooking outside unless the weather is really bad so we didn't get a stove or sink/water system. We do have a fridge. I made a simple shelf for doing tasks like cooking and washing dishes inside when we want to. Works well. Good luck with your order. Glad to hear trip reports will be forthcoming. TRs (with lots of pictures) are a seemingly mandatory aspect of getting advice here. :D

Thanks takesiteasy. I have read your blog a few times from scanning this forum and really enjoyed it. I briefly spent some time on ATC's site today and it doesn't look like they offer as many shell options as FWC. I'm leaning toward FWC because they have the new front dinette option for the shell. We really like this option. I'm hoping I can figure out a somewhat simple solution for the fridge on the passenger side.

I figured it might be nice to have a stove inside the vehicle for fast quick trips where we don't want to set up a full outside kitchen, but usually we'll be cooking outside like you. I like the idea of firing up some coffee first thing in the morning inside! We'll see how it actually plays out. I might end up cutting that option though in the final build. Still not sure on that.

I will be transporting water in jugs and then just leaving them outside in the kitchen area. I currently have two 7 gallon reliance jugs I've been toting around on camping trips so they'll work fine. I think this will work for us pretty well.

As a very happy owner of an All Terrain Camper, I would also suggest you give them a call. They might even be able to build you a front dinette and save you a few bucks.

Stew's All Terrain Camper Shell below Blanca Peak in Colorado:
gallery_172_19_126499.jpg

Hello Small Army of Pop-up Truck Campers....

-Bend, Oregon

...We live in Bend, OR and it can get chilly here at night year round. ...

imcolej, I can't help you much with your shell questions...but I just wanted to say "Howdy fellow Bendite!"
smile.gif

(and I completely agree about Bend's climate -- even in July or August, being outside at night might at least require a sweater
rolleyes.gif
)

Wow, a couple of guys are really trying to help ATC brand out by suggesting these things on the FWC specific thread!

(Just an observation, go ahead and fire away!)

I don't have a shell model, but if you are thinking of adding a refrigerator, I would keep it near the door. It is very handy to be able to access the fridge without having to climb into the camper.

imcolej, I can't help you much with your shell questions...but I just wanted to say "Howdy fellow Bendite!"
smile.gif

(and I completely agree about Bend's climate -- even in July or August, being outside at night might at least require a sweater
rolleyes.gif
)

Hello MarkBC! I definitely need to pick your brain about this part of the world. From your trip reports I know you have this area dialed in. Thanks for the welcome!

I don't have a shell model, but if you are thinking of adding a refrigerator, I would keep it near the door. It is very handy to be able to access the fridge without having to climb into the camper.

Yup, ideally I want to put mine right next to the door on the passenger side. However, I like the Engel MT45 which is top load so that might cancel out the ease of use getting to stuff from outside the camper. I'll have time for that decision as the fridge will be a project down the line.

Thanks for your suggestion Espresso.

Wow, a couple of guys are really trying to help ATC brand out by suggesting these things on the FWC specific thread!

(Just an observation, go ahead and fire away!)

Fair observation, although I was really trying to help out the OP. I usually just check the recent posts. I often don't really pay attention to the heading on the thread. In hindsight, it would have been better to communicate in a private message given the context of the thread. Sorry if I offended the FWC folks. :unsure:

The FWC/ATC is not an issue in my book. You definitely want to explore all your options. As far as what you laid out for a build I think you've made an excellent start. Wiring for a fridge won't be difficult. If you can afford this you'll be very happy.

As a Moderator here (though I can't speak for the other Moderators), I'll tell you: It's alright to mention ATC in the FWC sub-forum and vice-versa -- you can even say "Alaskan" in the XPCamper sub-forum if you really want to think outside the box!
biggrin.gif

Fair observation, although I was really trying to help out the OP. I usually just check the recent posts. I often don't really pay attention to the heading on the thread. In hindsight, it would have been better to communicate in a private message given the context of the thread. Sorry if I offended the FWC folks. :unsure:

Nothing to apologize for -- keep being helpful.
smile.gif
Trying to help the OP is obviously what you were doing, and that's what responses are for -- helping other WTW folks. And responses are most helpful when they're in public, in this thread, NOT in private, so that later readers can benefit from the input.

The FWC/ATC is not an issue in my book. You definitely want to explore all your options...

Yep -- presenting options perhaps not otherwise considered is the point.

As a Moderator here (though I can't speak for the other Moderators), I'll tell you: It's alright to mention ATC in the FWC sub-forum and vice-versa -- you can even say "Alaskan" in the XPCamper sub-forum if you really want to think outside the box!
biggrin.gif

Nothing to apologize for -- keep being helpful.
smile.gif
Trying to help the OP is obviously what you were doing, and that's what responses are for -- helping other WTW folks. And responses are most helpful when they're in public, in this thread, NOT in private, so that later readers can benefit from the input.

Yep -- presenting options perhaps not otherwise considered is the point.

well said Mr. BC :)

Cole,

Make sure you insist that FWC uses the Blue Sea fuse box...much better than the cheapy mine has. Also, in hindsight, I may have had them build the propane cabinet/stove setup, except I'd install my own Wave heater. The FWC heater is super noisy. I put my number in the PM you sent, feel free to call.

Frosty

Cole,

Make sure you insist that FWC uses the Blue Sea fuse box...much better than the cheapy mine has. Also, in hindsight, I may have had them build the propane cabinet/stove setup, except I'd install my own Wave heater. The FWC heater is super noisy. I put my number in the PM you sent, feel free to call.

Frosty

Thanks for the input and the pm Frosty. I'm gonna have to go back and re-read the wave 3 vs. furnace threads. I will report back with my thoughts. Here is a thread I just found about using the vented propane cabinet without the furnace and using that space for the wave.

I will have to look into this option...

Make sure you insist that FWC uses the Blue Sea fuse box...much better than the cheapy mine has.

The Blue Sea is standard equipment in FWC campers. I don't find the Atwood furnace that noisy, but we each have our own tolerances.

Back
Top Bottom