Help with FWC Hawk Shell Build (Delivered!)

You'll like the Yak tracks, Cole. :) Lot's of options from there.

In less than three years, I've used them for bikes (bad idea), kayaks, emergency spare tire storage, and a basket at one time or another. Bikes hanging off the back is much better than roof mount. :eek:

Yup, I know I'll need them at some point. Trust me, I have spent some time checking out your current bike set up. Very cool! Not even going to attempt to run them on the roof.

yes you will :)

We cannot wait to have a quality problem like this. Where to run gear on our pop-up camper?!!!

order the yak racks from FWC- I think that is money well spent

I think you're right. I just can't bring myself to spend the dough for the whole package right now. I hope to pick up the rest of the yakima components during an REI 20% discount/dividend/used gear sale in the future...Lot of money going out right now. Must be patient... Must be patient...

A friend is helping me with the Ride-Rite airbag install this weekend. I will update the thread with how that goes! Thanks for all the help you guys gave with a warning to upgrade some of the parts in that Firestone kit before I install etc.

Ok, Firestone Ride-Rites installed. Special thanks to Andy and Andy! Andy my buddy who helped install the bags. When I say "helped", I mean he actually installed them while I tried to look helpful.

Special thanks to Lighthawk (Andy) for helping clarify what bolts I needed to upgrade (and for selling me the airbags in the first place :) ).

I originally went to Ace and got the stainless steel carriage bolts (I don't think grade 8 carriage bolts exist) but remembered that somewhere I read that stainless was not as strong.

I strongly second the cautions regarding stainless steel bolts. The advantage of stainless bolts is just that. They exhibit no other superior qualities, and as Thom's post demonstrated are not as strong as many non-stainless fasteners. Cadmium-plated grade 8 bolts are very resistant to corrosion.

Here is the thread I'm referring to about using grade 8 hex bolts instead of the carriage bolts. So I returned the stainless steel ones and we used the grade 8 hex bolts instead.

Truck feels good while running 10psi in the bags (don't have the camper yet).

I debated on getting a second roof vent and decided against it. You really don't need it. A second one also takes up roof space. I have Yakima racks for my kayak and plan to add an basket. Another roof vent would make it difficult to do that.

Good point John on the second roof vent. Many campers who have them think they are great. I don't have one sometime wish I had a little more ventilation on hot still days with no shade.

Good to know about the racks and extra vent. I wasn't planning on either but may get the racks at least when I do order. Do the racks go forward far enough to mount some kind of fabbed wind break out front?

I picked up my Hawk! Writing a trip report now but wanted to post a picture in this thread. I'm stoked!

IMG_2629.jpg

Cool rig Cole!

Thank you sir. I went through your neck of the woods to get it. Beautiful area you live in. I will be back!

Looks good!

Thanks. Congrats on your new setup as well.

Lighthawk said:
You'll like the Yak tracks, Cole.
smile.gif
Lot's of options from there.

In less than three years, I've used them for bikes (bad idea), kayaks, emergency spare tire storage, and a basket at one time or another. Bikes hanging off the back is much better than roof mount.
ohmy.gif

How do you put a spare up on the top? That must be tough. Now you have me thinking of putting a Yak basket up there to hold fire wood on the way to camp.

Back
Top Bottom