Hey fishermen, how do you carry your pontoon/u-boats on your FWC?

Oryguntroutbum

I do a lot of fly fishing and need some ideas on how to carry my pontoon. I have a basket on my Alaskan that I use with a custom made stinger. It won't work on the FWC I'm switching to. Anyone got any innovative ideas? I currently run a small Scadden Outlaw frameless.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I just wanted to point out the basket in the photo is the same level as the tailgate, which doesn't hinder my departure angle at all. This pic was taken on a boat ramp and makes it look like it's shorter than it is. I need to make sure that whatever I end up doing I don't lose departure angle.

Attachments

• pontoon.JPG
    pontoon.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 322
I don't have a pontoon, I've got a float tube. Someone on here posted about a fold down carrier that plugged into their receiver a long while ago. I can't seem to find it now. The neat thing I remember about it was it folded down so you could open the door. I'm going to guess though that their pontoon boat was/is shorter than yours. Something I have seen used on short campers/canopies in general is the old fashioned roof roller with another strut and board bottom to the aft end of the roof to support the boat once up. Kinda like one see's used on the larger pontoon/raft trailers at the Deschutes and John Day.

Best of Luck with your search...

Chris, I would just deflate the tubes and put the frame on top for distance travel, then put it all on top, on a Yakima for the short hops. A 12vdc inflator takes a lot of the work out of that.

Thanks Dan,
Mine is shorter than the photo appears. It's only a 6' tube. I remember the receiver carrier you are mentioning. I also remember it being pretty expensive but it's definitely an option. I have a fold down bike carrier I was thinking about maybe trying to configure to work. Just like this photo. Folds down out of the way.

WS,
I agree about deflating for long distance. I sometimes change lakes 2-3 x a day and don't want to have to deflate each time. I know with my Alaskan there is little to no wind directly behind the camper. I'm hoping to get away with something back there if possible. I have also thought about buying a Tiregate swing away tire carrier and rigging something up off the tire for the pontoon.

Attachments

• 150_bike_rack_allsop_access_swing-down_rack_for_2_receivers_228885911.jpg
    150_bike_rack_allsop_access_swing-down_rack_for_2_receivers_228885911.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 139
Chris,there isn't any way to carry it on the roof?Do you worry about the weight or possible damage?
Once again when I carried my 12' canoe on the roof I didn't have any trouble lifting up but I have roof lifters.
I have the factory frame rack which worked for me.Plus I made a slide on type rack so that the canoe would roll forward and stop on the front stops.Than use ratchet straps to hold it down.
I think I have carried that canoe 15,000 miles like that and no problems.I know a pontoon boat is different,but it should be able to ride up there without any problems
Frank

The problem I worried about was not so much the weight of the pontoon but the wind. I have three pontoons. My larger pontoon is a Skookum Steelheader and it is very heavy. My smaller one is a Sportsman warehouse 9 foot that is not real heavy. The last one is a Creek co and I use it as a loaner.
The problem I have is the Steelheader is WAY too big to load on the top of anything but a trailer. The Sportsman 9 is light but lifting that high would not be easy. The Creek Co would be no problem. I carry mine on my trailer most of the time. I do have a second truck that I carry my smaller boat on when I am going into some hard to get to places. This is what my pontoons look like. I have a bunch of videos on fishing on my youtube page. idahoron

img_90059_0_b83202e60ee877ad3335745fb1ac185e.jpg

img_90059_2_14b94da5b3ba37fb27ef70fc59ef4acd.jpg

img_90059_4_258d95ca6060f7bca5403afd3355bd76.jpg

Wow they are some huge fish.
I can see the problem with the larger pontoons.Not only the weight, but they are, I am sure awkward to handle.
That was the main reason for not carrying the canoe anymore.We aren't getting any younger and sure don't want to get hurt while out and about.So we have an Advanced Elements inflatable 15' kayak that can be carried inside the camper.
Frank

Chris, fly fisherman here too. I have a Skadden frameless that lives where the back seat was in my F-250 crew cab. I removed most of the back seat except for the passenger side jump seat. I also have a Steelheader Sookum that has very large tubes and a frame. (Same as Idahorons third pic) I also have an aluminum center console jet boat that I trailer. That is where the Skookum resides when on the move. The Skookum is to heavy and too big to use without the trailer. It certainly would not work on top of the camper. Because I just don't like the limited access of pulling a trailer, I am all but ready to put a for sale sign on the jet and the Skookum.

Okay, so all of that to say that I feel your pain. THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION and I am hesitant to tell you that a couple of times DURING EXTENDED STAYS, I jacked the camper free and just used my truck bed to haul the Skookum. Before others here feel the need to chime in and tell you it can't be done. I'll Agee that it is not a good solution and certainly only if camping in the same spot for weeks to a month. Then it is worth the hassle to me to get into some tight overgrown river access spots. HOWEVER, agreed THIS IS NOT A GOOD ONGOING SOLUTION. So all feeling the need to say it can't be done, no need because I admit you are right, right, right and I am wrong wrong wrong. But Chris, wink, wink, it can and I do.

That said, we are left with the same problem with the same boat and maybe two heads are better than one? I have been thinking about configuring a couple of slider bars that would extend aft and cantilever past the back of the camper on the same line as the roof rack channels. Then basically do the same thing that you have done in the past only hang the boat from those two bars. This way ground clearance is not a problem and once hung easy to secure to the back of the camper for a short jaunt up river or back to camp. For long hauls it would still deflate and live in the back seat. However this is my primary concern. Even though the boat weighs next to nothing there would still be some up moment at the front connection that I am concerned about and may kill the concept. Give it some thought?

Kispiox,
I like the idea of the slider bars. That's a good idea. I need something that is going to keep the pontoon from rubbing against the back of the camper. Don't really want to ruin the paint on an brand new camper. I was considering going with something like this http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/ and then rigging a set up where the pontoon would attach to the tire. My pontoon only weighs about 30 lbs. Maybe 35 with stuff in the pockets.

From idahoron:
"The problem I worried about was not so much the weight of the pontoon but the wind."

First of all posting photos of Sturgeon larger than anything I've caught in a very long time I'm certain is against the forum rules! Nice fish thanks for the photos.

Second of all I've been concerned about the wind on my tube while driving. While I typically don't haul it on top, I have from time to time and still have a tube. In a pinch once I even hauled 4 tubes and an 18ft Grumman canoe on top of my Grandby.

From Kispiox:
"I jacked the camper free and just used my truck bed to haul the Skookum"

I've done it from time to time for various reasons but I also put it down on something to support the bottom. Years ago I visited an FWC display at some show. There you could crawl in and out of a couple of demos that were on nothing but some plywood supports. Used to do the same thing, even more so, with my old Caveman camper too. The key is floor support.

Gentlemen, best wishes for you and your outdoor endeavors.

WP_20131022_002.JPG WP_20130527_002.jpgI made a hitch hauler. My Bronco pontoon is pretty small- length wise and I just deflate the tubes so I can get in and out of the Grandby.

I don't know how these have worked out for the customers, or if I would recommend them.

But here are some sample pictures I have saved from the forms over the past couple years.

Maybe they will help give you some ideas.

: )

Attachments

• boat on hitch rack.JPG
    boat on hitch rack.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 229
  • boat on the back of the camper.jpg
    boat on the back of the camper.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 232
The angle of departure is not bad as it drops into the opening of the boat onto the hauler. The bike is set back far enough that the door opens with plenty of room for me to access. I'm 6ft and 200ish so, a bigger person might have an issue.

I like the pic on the left that Stan submitted and this is my plan for the future. It will be mounted on the jack brackets and hinged to allow access into the camper. It does create an issue if the bike is on the hauler and for that to be solved, I'd need to design a slide, not a hinged system. Might be a huge project at that point.

bdold said:
The angle of departure is not bad as it drops into the opening of the boat onto the hauler. The bike is set back far enough that the door opens with plenty of room for me to access. I'm 6ft and 200ish so, a bigger person might have an issue.

I like the pic on the left that Stan submitted and this is my plan for the future. It will be mounted on the jack brackets and hinged to allow access into the camper. It does create an issue if the bike is on the hauler and for that to be solved, I'd need to design a slide, not a hinged system. Might be a huge project at that point.
I was actually talking about the angle of departure when driving up hill and such. Your set up is perfect for running to and from the lake on fairly flat ground but I'm not sure how bad it might drag on my truck. Mine just has a leveling kit and some oversized tires. I really like that platform though. Did you custom make that?

I see. I have dragged it once on my way to hunt elk. The road is rough and does require 4x4. There were lots of water breaks and holes where I had no issue. Dragging didn't seem to hurt it, other that mark up the powder coating. However, knowing what I know now, I would leave it at home next time when heading to a place like that. .

Yes, I made it. It's huge compared to the Chinese models. It weighs much more because the material is significantly thicker. I wired it with a light system as well.

check out easypacker.com. I mount just the frame for long distances and with pontoons between camp and put-in.

For my u-boat I use heavy rubber stretch chords attached to large eye bolts mounted on the middle holes in the rear jack stand brackets.

Check out easypacker.com for your pontoon. I travel with just the frame mounted for distance and between camp and the put-in, I mount it assembled. I use a ratchet strap to snug it up. For my u-boat, I've attached large eye bolts to the center holes of the rear jack brackets and use hd rubber stretch chords, one from each side, threaded through the carry handles and hooked in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom