Hi-Lift Jack Mounted on FWC

dharte

I just got a 48" Hi-lift jack and want to carry it on my Hawk. Has anyone tried mounting one to a rear jack bracket and if so, did you fabricate your own mounting system or is there one available to purchase? The Hi-Lift is about the same weight as one of the camper jacks FWC sells, so I doubt it would put undue stress on the bracket or frame. I know I could easily mount it on the Yakima rack on the roof but I don't want the weight up there-it's already hard to lift and lower.
Thanks,
David

I have never any use for a high lift jack, even though I own one. They are heavy and unsafe unless you carry all of the necessary attachments as well. Plus, none of my rigs have any suitable jacking points. Just my opinion.

cwd

Cameracer came up with a kit to add a handyman and a shovel to the back of our pop-ups in '11; several of us got it and adapted it to our pop-ups. I don't know if I have the plans anymore(lot's of pictures of my rig here on the site ) and I will not speak for Dick, but you might drop him a message or maybe he will hear about it ( I think he was talking about heading to Mexico a while back??). In any event I just up graded mine to add a pick ax. I'll see if I can find some more pictures and/or data. They make things allot easier-more beer room now!

As to the utility of the handyman; I used one for the last 45 or so years at both play and work and swear by it, but again, I was well trained on how to use one & I carry lots of things out in the desert to help me get "unstuck"! I will admit though that when my old toyota 4x4 was replaced by a new F-150 I was at a loss out there until I discovered the attachments that worked on my 99 4x4 ( something to do with rounded corners instead of square) or any of my work field rigs. Each to his own I guess (my opinion :p ).

Smoke

This is what I've been using. It's mounted to the floor pack and not the rear wall and is lockable. I've made several for WTW members.

100_2947.jpg
100_2952.jpg
100_2953.jpg

If you mount to the camper, be sure the jack does not contact the truck, IF, you venture off groomed gravel roads. Truck frame/bed flexing can create angles between the truck and camper. If the jack is securely attached to the camper and contacts the bumper or some other part of the truck, you can crack the camper's frame, tear sheet metal, etc. I've seen it happen twice. Once with a high lift jack and the other a rack mounted to the camper jack mount with a bunch of recovery gear attached. Both rigs were crossing a rutted wash across a poorly maintained FS road.

If you opt for the Hi-Lift jack...

Please be sure to get training on its use! It is one of the most dangerous pieces of equipment a non-winch equipped vehicle can carry IMO. I've seen too many soldiers and Marines injured by Hi-Lift jacks because of improper use and techniques.

I use Safe Jack bottle jack kit and accessories. I would encourage you to take a look at the Safe Jack accessories to stabilize a Hi-Lift jack. Good read here. And here.

Please learn where to stand and technique for jacking a Hi-Lift...the handle will break arms, hands and legs faster than the blink of an eye. By far the most common injury when using a Hi-Lift jack.

Having said all of that, it can be an excellent addition to your recovery kit.

Since we removed the back seats [top and bottom...Rubbermaid boxes stacked in that space] on our '05 Tundra Access Cab we are carrying the 48' Hi-Life transversely on the back floor where the back seats were....no mount just wrapped and layed in there.. I do not want weight on the rear or mounted to the Hawk...no holes in Hawk for me..plus external mounts are an invitation to theft or coming loose and pounding camper..

But everyone's needs are different so more options are always good...however like the saying goes: "Just because there is a road going there, doesn't mean you should"... :D

Phil

I have my Hi Lift mounted to my ARB front bumper.

The jack itself is probably 40 years old; it was my wife's when we met and her dad had bought it for her when she got her first car. I first saw it when she asked me to help her change a tire - back when you could jack a car up on the bumper.

I agree they can be dangerous, even if you know how to use them, but they can also be very useful. I'd never use one to change a tire any more, though. ;)

I'd never use one to change a tire on my truck, if I had another option. Sometimes its the only tool that will work. I've changed a couple on my Jeep, its the only jack I used to use but it has excellent placement options. I do toss the safe jack in sometimes now. Its a tool like many others that can be deadly misused. Know of any table saw accidents? Sure, they're legion yet its a safe tool in the hands of knowledgeable user.

Thanks for the ideas, folks I don't really want to drill into the camper to mount this, but I do like your solution camelracer. I might try fabricating a mount for the jack bracket-my concern is I don't want the jack to stick out past the bracket. If nothing seems to work I will store in the cab as Wallowa suggested. As for safety, I have read a lot and watched how-to video's on the proper use and will attempt a practice lift before I am in the wilderness. I bought the lift-mate tire attachment so I can lift the truck from any wheel. I also have a Warn Trans4mer front bumper attachment (for my winch) and I want to find out if that is strong enough to us as a lift point-it's pretty beefy . I have oversize wheels/tires and I really doubt my factory bottle jack would be any use out on a rough 4x4 road if I had to change a tire.

craig333 said:
I'd never use one to change a tire on my truck, if I had another option. Sometimes its the only tool that will work. I've changed a couple on my Jeep, its the only jack I used to use but it has excellent placement options. I do toss the safe jack in sometimes now. Its a tool like many others that can be deadly misused. Know of any table saw accidents? Sure, they're legion yet its a safe tool in the hands of knowledgeable user.

Describe the "Safe Jack'....a bottle jack? I have never used our Hi-Lift and should practice with it first...it does have a multitude of uses but you damn sure better be aware of the hazards involved. Yes, it is the "right tool" in the "right hands".

But we are talking in this thread about where to mount and carry a Hi-Lift jack. My best WAG for an outside carry that is a good solution is a secure mounting point on an off road bumper or receiver style rack.

Phil

I mounted mine to the camper jack mount. I used (2) 3/8" x 3" grade 8 bolts with wing nuts and lock washers. You need to offset the jack from the mount a bit to clear the camper and the roof gutter. I used 1" steel spacers. I've also mounted a hi lift to my jeep tire carrier in the same fashion but with nylon spacers. Both hold up very well. I'll try to get an image upload shortly.

jccat said:
I mounted mine to the camper jack mount. I used (2) 3/8" x 3" grade 8 bolts with wing nuts and lock washers. You need to offset the jack from the mount a bit to clear the camper and the roof gutter. I used 1" steel spacers. I've also mounted a hi lift to my jeep tire carrier in the same fashion but with nylon spacers. Both hold up very well. I'll try to get an image upload shortly.
I was thinking about something like this-does the jack stick out much to the side of the jack mount? I have a jerry can holder bolted to an aluminum plate that I made that attaches to the right rear jack bracket and the bolt for the lower step and I also used 1" steel spacers to clear the camper.

idahoron said:
I decided to go this way. With the lift mate accessory the Hi-Lift is a great jack.

img_164008_4_837cc782334a62cfa6fac4ad9edbaa40.jpg

Would describe the mounts you used....Tundra application and we also have a front receiver hitch on our '05 Tundra but it does not have that vertical piece with the round section at the top, is it an extender? Long shovel handle!

Thanks,

Phil

Some innovation shown in these mounting systems...let me pass on a tidbit we learn this Sept in S.Utah...on a narrow,rocky,red dust track through a thick stand of juniper trees, the tree branches were "brushing" the sides of the Hawk...except I miss judged how stout the juniper branches were and hooked the latch to the water heater door on the driver's side and flung it open...full stop! And that "o-crap how dumb was that" feeling.

No damage other than scrap marks along the Hawk, but a very, very inexpensive lesson.

Anything sticking out from the sides of our camper is subject to getting snagged on a solid object and can tear open the Hawk like an "aluminum can". Bolt that "anything" to the camper and it just takes out a larger piece of the camper. This also includes the solar panel mounted on the roof YakTrac.

And any object that can strike the camper as it rolls from side to side on uneven ground can also rip into the Hawk.

Normally off road you watch out for vehicle undercarriage strikes but with the Hawk we need to be doubly cautious due to the light weight aluminum construction.

Sooooooo...that is why for example we do not have our camper jacks mounted to the Hawk [and due to the added weight] since our venue is off road and hopefully in the remote 'outback' tracks.

Just me and your mileage may vary... :D

Phil

Back
Top Bottom