high-lift jacks usage

lqhikers

thought i would throw this idea out there. i see that a lot of trucks mount or ask how to mount high-lift jacks,but i don't see when i see them mounted how they plan on using them as i have not seen any special bumper mounts etc. i know from experience that i had to reinforce front push bar and modify rear receiver hitch so truck could be jacked up. i would hate to hear of fellow 4x4 campers get stuck and find out your high-lift is unusable! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Hilift has a few inexpensive adaptors that can be used to lift from the wheels or bumpers without adverse effects. You can also use a highlift as a winch, which can be especially useful and one primary reason I carry it (depending on my plans). I have seen people use it as a giant clamp to hold broken suspensions in place. It has many uses, but having a proper lift points does make it easier.

I have a Hi Lift but I only bring it on trips where I know I'll be spending a lot of time off road.

Most off roaders use them in conjunction with aftermarket bumpers or rock sliders. I don't like adding a ton of metal and weight to my truck just for a jacking point. Luckily Hi Lift has a couple of accessories to use on a vehicle with no reinforced jacking points.

For a stock vehicle, I like the Hi Lift - Lift Mate. From their website -

"The Lift-Mate is designed to operate in a manner that allows the vehicle wheel to be lifted directly from the wheel, greatly reducing the amount of travel up the jack bar needed to lift the wheel in an adequate and safe height. "

Features & Specifications:
  • Lift Capacity: 5000 lbs.(2273 kg)
  • Rubber-Coated hooks to protect the wheel
  • Rubber pad for protecting the tire and wheel
ph_liftmate_large.jpg

In addition I also like the Hi Lift Off Road Base to help keep the jack from sinking in mud and sand -
ph_offroadbase_large.jpg

ph_liftmate_2.jpg

Hi-lift....

I had been carrying a hi-lift jack more as a winch than anything since my current truck has no place to use it as a jack......I then realized when I read someone else's post that a come-a-long would be much lighter and a much better "winch". That is what I now carry and it takes up less space as well.
Brian

hi-lift

great to hear thoughts on hi-lift,i tried the hi-lift lift mate under stuck conditions (side hill mud)our taco slid offtrail hooked up lift mate and found that because wheel was sunk when lift was tried to be put in place the top of lift hit camper (my lift is 48") and i think they also sell a 54"? lift.thats when i added jack points also after buying a round of beer for the jeep that ended up winching me out! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

I had been carrying a hi-lift jack more as a winch than anything since my current truck has no place to use it as a jack......I then realized when I read someone else's post that a come-a-long would be much lighter and a much better "winch". That is what I now carry and it takes up less space as well.
Brian

Great idea. I too have been carrying it primarily as a winch. Can always use the stock bottle jack if you need to lift an axle a couple of inches.

Brian, any particular model or source for your presumably robust come-a-long?

Comealong...

Brett13,
I can't seem to find a name on mine, it was given to me back in 1976 by my ex-father-in-law as we left for our first trip to Alaska in a VW van. I also brought along a tow chain and long cable from his logging operation for use with it. I have used it for many things but not extrication.....yet! I am going to have to buy a couple heavy nylon snatch straps for it now since the cable is long gone. I still always carry the chain but may swap it out for nylon since they are lighter and easier to use. My come-a-long has a doubling block with it with as well for extra power.
Brian

Brian,

I highly recommend a synthetic winch line. They are super light, stronger than cable and have no meaningful stretch, so if it breaks, it just falls to the ground and doesn't snap back to injur or break something. Amsteel blue is the standard. Check out rockstomper.com for a wide selection or winchline.com.

Winch line...

Brett13,
Great info...I will check it out. Thanks,
Brian

Farm Jacks are great and have tons of uses but they can't do everything.
Not everybody wants or needs a big winch on the front end but I gotta say there is no way on God's green earth I am putting any amount of trust in a Chinese made come-along. :eek:
If you don't want to pack a big winch then a Tuff Pull Or Black Rat type puller is a more dependable and vastly safer way to go.
recovery-winches-1.gif

but I gotta say there is no way on God's green earth I am putting any amount of trust in a Chinese made come-along. :eek:

Have to agree with you on that, I had not really considered it. But the two you mentioned are really very expensive and weigh almost as much as a hilift. I think I will just stick with the time-tested, trail-proven, American made, Hi-Lift. At 38#, its not that cumbersome. At $65 its a steal. Now, who says US manufacturing is dead?

For me, a farm jack, a handfull of good D shackles, a couple proper straps,chokers and some good chain with the right hooks and you are good to go.

Hmm, it just occurred to me, that even though we use the word "jack" (for lifting), we need a "come-along" (for pulling)... right?

Mike

HiLift jacks can also be used as a come-along/winch with one end of a line secured to the lifting mechanism and another line secured to top of the bar.

Photo of winch setup on page 12 of the PDF:

http://www.hi-lift.com/products/instructions_jacks.htm

Interestingly, the working lift-load for the jack is a little over 4,600# and the winch-load is 5,000#, according to the PDF.

I highly recommend Bill Burke's Getting Unstuck DVD if you are not familiar with the in's and out's of the jack and it's applications.
video.1.jpg

We use a farm jack AKA "High Lift" for all kinds of stuff on my cousin's rancho and I was a shipyard rigger for a while after I got out of the Navy so I have some experience with moving heavy stuff. :)

I highly recommend Bill Burke's Getting Unstuck DVD if you are not familiar with the in's and out's of the jack and it's applications.

Funny, I was going to suggest the same DVD!

DONE... Just ordered... Thanks!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom