Homebuilt unique pop up

imix

Advanced Member
I'm posting this here 'cause he mentions Marty at ATC was very helpful in helping him build his own popup. I apologize if this has been posted before or is in the wrong place. Personally, I am not all that down with the "put a bird on it" side graphics. I also think the side room is an interesting concept, but kinda wasted space, but hey, its his camper, and still fabulous, and very inspiring.

He links to his blog for more info...

Interesting build. I'm not sure why he didn't finish out the inside of the roof, I think that would have helped his fit/finish inside and in a light color help light things up. That side room isn't something I'd personally like for my style but very cool for a large storage space in desert type camp'n. I can see why he homebuilt, lots of custom things there.

Very interesting and a lot of energy expended in that build. It is nice to see others unique ideas. I'd like a little better fit and finish of the inside to make it more home like and comfortable and not so much a back of the truck feel.

A number of great ideas. I like the safety bars on the folding panel. I remember laying in bed one night thinking if the front panel folded, I would never be able to lift the roof enough to crawl out. I also like the idea of a skylight big enough to stand through. The fold out side would cure all the problems for the couple who has to camp with two kids.

Ignore the fit and finish. This guy did a great job. I'm sure version 1 of our pop-up's looked about the same.

<snip>
Ignore the fit and finish. This guy did a great job. I'm sure version 1 of our pop-up's looked about the same.

I don't mean to be hard on the guy. It is a great job. But, he has shown he has the skills and it would make an impressive job so much better.

I don't mean to be hard on the guy. It is a great job. But, he has shown he has the skills and it would make an impressive job so much better.

Basically what I was thinking. He obviously took the time to but a headliner material up there and pipe foam, I'm just sorta unclear why he wouldn't have filled the spaces with foam board and then use the light colored perforated vinyl to finish off the top. Would have been a cleaner look and also the light color would reflect the light so much more.

Anyways cool build all around.

Very interesting and unique build.The side room is a good idea like Espresso says,"good for camping with kids".Could the side room fabric be made to attach and pop into place when pulled down?
He has put a lot of thought into his rig.Great to see different ideas.
Frank

That is fabulous! How long before FWC or ATC buy his idea and make the side room an option. What a great area for storage, kids, dogs...

I don't know about side rooms but I predict we will see a slide out Keystone from FWC in the near future. Its called "feature creep". FWC now makes hard sided campers (Six-pac, which used to make hard sided lightweight campers and was also owned by Tom Hannagan, appears to be a former truck camper company these days, no production in 2 or 3 years), has options for a completely contained camper. Not bad things, but kinda drifting away from the original idea.

For those who have the time and wish to have a laugh, check out these DIY pop up truck camper plans. I say laugh not to dimish this dudes enthusiasm, which is both admirable and considerable, but "plans" these are not. More of a shed on a bed, hasn't quite figured out the whole "pop up part" yet. His "camper" looks heavy and clumsy, and the whole through the roof concept has yet to be tested against, um, rain.

http://offgridcamping.wordpress.com/

Back
Top Bottom