Homemade Awning & Bug Net

Yukon

For those of you folks who like to do-it-yourself and don't want to spend a lot of money. Here's how I did the awning thing. I used this in Alaska where there are a LOT of bugs and I had 3 inches of snow and wind on it and it held up pretty well. All parts were bought at Home Depot except for mosquito netting which you can buy at army surplus stores. Probably cost me less than $50 to make (mosquito net material was most expensive part. Design elements are:

* Aluminum bracket that bolts to camper jack brackets (no drilling into camper). Standard stock aluminum from H.D.
* 6X8 foot heavy duty standard tarp
* 1 piece of 1/2 electrical conduit with eye hooks (be sure to use nylon lock washers everywhere)(metal painted white)
* Two pieces of 4ft PVC with a cap on one end & eye hook.
* Home-sewn mosquito net with nylon skirt at bottom. You can put rocks on skirt to keep it from blowing around. To get in and out just lift up from bottom. Worked really well in Alaska. Skirt is just a nylon tarp I cut and sewed to net.
* The net just ties to the edges of the tarp using very tiny bungie cords. If you don't need it, take it off and use only tarp.
* Tarp, PVC poles and net all store in wheel well on side of camper.
* Can use the tarp and net for other outdoors activities. (i.e. tie it up in trees above picnic table, etc.

Anyway, it's just an idea for those who don't want to buy an awning or have awning bolted to outside of camper. You can also use that conduit with eye hooks that stays on side of camper for other stuff like hanging laundry, etc. etc. Super light weight. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

• tarp with net.jpg
    tarp with net.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,222
  • tarp & conduit.jpg
    tarp & conduit.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Alum Bracket.JPG
    Alum Bracket.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 932