Horizontal Propane Tank replacement

maheil

Advanced Member
I have an older Grandby with a horizontal propane tank inside a compartment on the driver side of the camper. It does not have an overflow valve and I am needing to replace it.

I am looking at new horizontal tanks. Any suggestions or tips on more creative replacements or things to watch out for?

Thanks.

Mike

I was planning on a new tank. Mainly looking for comments on alternatives to the horizontal tank if any or any pitfalls to watch out for in buying a horizontal thank.

Our 2009 ATC Bobcat as all ATC campers has the horizontal tank.
Have not had any issues with in.
I would think a replacement would depend on the space where the tank goes.
Do you have space for a vertical tank? They are less expensive.
Frank

Last year I had my horizontal tank valve replaced when the tank was certified. Cost about $90 and took almost a month since the valve is not stocked locally and the shop dragged their feet. After all that, I wish I had just purchased a new tank. Another alternative is what Vic Harder did and convert the tank compartment so a standard 20 vertical tank fits.

Thanks. I need to look and see what the mod would entail for a vertical tank. I am leaning toward a new horizontal tank. I just want to see what else if anything I need to replace.

maheil said:
I have an older Grandby with a horizontal propane tank inside a compartment on the driver side of the camper. It does not have an overflow valve and I am needing to replace it.

I am looking at new horizontal tanks. Any suggestions or tips on more creative replacements or things to watch out for?

Thanks.

Mike
Mike, I’m not sure that a new tank is much more than the valve that Beach mentioned. I was googling for a 2.5 gallon tank, and a 5 gallon horizontal popped up. I believe it was about $120.

Since you asked for other alternatives...

I use a horizontal tank since I only had to pay a few bucks to get my 2001 tank re-certified but it is possible to put an 11-pound 'squatty' vertical tank in my Hawk's propane locker.

My horizontal tank looks like this:

HawkPropaneLockerWhorizTank.jpg

An 11-pound squatty looks like this in that space:

HawkPropaneLockerw11pdTank.jpg

And here's another shot of the squatty showing I can also fit six one-pounders in there....

HawkPropaneLockerW11pdTankAnd1pdBottles.jpg

My propane compartment is 13"W x 13-1/2"H x 18-3/4"D (with the insulation boards in place).

I bought the squatty at my local Ace Hardware for about $65 including the fill about a year ago.

The problem with the 11 pounder of course is it's only a little over half the capacity. That doesn't generally matter to me as I seldom use the furnace and carry a Portable Buddy heater for backup. I cook with butane. The horizontal is probably the better answer for most owners.

Thanks that helps. I am trying to figure out what the size of the existing horizontal is. I also need to look at the connections between the tank and the regulator. The regulator is on top in my installation. Not sure if that is critical or if I can move it or need to change the regulator. Most of the newer horizontal tanks I am seeing seem to have a side exit valve and I’m not sure of the treads. Have to dig into it this weekend.

I looked into squatty style as well. Last I heard they were not making them anymore. I went horizontal again in my Hawk, 2 x 10# in the Puma

Propane1.jpg
Should have added this in the beginning. This is what I have now. The opening for the compartment is basically 12 3/4 square. The box is bigger but the replacement has to fit through the entrance. The existing tank is 17” long. I think I’m going with a replacement horizontal tank. Just have to figure out the valve placement and regulator.

That appears to be a 20-pound tank-- also known as a 5-gallon tank. If you look on the collar, you will probably see numbers stamped into it. If you want to post those numbers and letters we may learn something. If nothing else it would tell us whether an older tank like that was using the same standards as the newer ones.

Just in case it helps, here are some photos of the regulator hookup in my 2001 Hawk ...

Overview:

HawkPropaneRegulatorOverview.jpg

Measurement1:

HawkPropaneRegulatorMeasurement1.jpg

Measurement2:

HawkPropaneRegulatorMeasurement2.jpg

Note- the line from my regulator to the rear of the compartment is a rubber one.

PS- If you're looking to also modernize your setup, you might look into replacing the regulator and changing the hose fitting from the older POL version to the newer Type1/ACME one (either will work with your tank and a replacement tank).

I am thinking I might as well update the connectors and regulator. Might also give me some additional options if the onboard tank runs dry and I need a temp connection sometime. Although I would have to say it took a couple of years in total to run this one dry with what was in it when I bought it. I’ve been using my ARB fridge instead of the built in till I get the propane resolved.

This was a helpful post and thought I'd weigh in and share a pic.

Got a used 05 Hawk this summer (after dreaming about one for years). The tank was leaking out of the gauge and regulator. I tried calling a number of propane shops in town (Portland OR) but all the corporate ones said they don't do repairs. Almost gave up but my buddy recommended Hometown Hearth & Grill, a local employee owned shop and they got me fixed up with a new hose, repaired my older style horizontal tank and filled it up! https://www.hometownhearthandgrill.com/about-us.html

Before I was able to figure out the tank repair I did find a 11# squatty at the local Ace hardware store (meanwhile every store online was sold out). I used an eye screw and a turn buckle to secure it upright and it has been working great as a temporary replacement.

I'm planning on keeping the squatty in the backseat with my propane firepit now.

PXL_20211002_194431293.jpg

Just be careful on the valve placement. I've never seen one like yours that is horizontal. Mine faces to the left but I've seen tanks where the valve faces to the right. There are ways to make things work but its a lot simpler to get the right one the first time.

craig333 said:
Just be careful on the valve placement. I've never seen one like yours that is horizontal. Mine faces to the left but I've seen tanks where the valve faces to the right. There are ways to make things work but its a lot simpler to get the right one the first time.
I had that issue and just took it the local suburban propane dealer here in town. They have all the tools to rotate it 180 degrees.

craig333 said:
I was afraid it would leak if I tried that.
I tried it and could not get it to budge... they have a special collar they use and took about 15 seconds once the tank was fastened into a cradle.

Back
Top Bottom