Hornet Reservoir, Idaho

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Spent a few days at Hornet Res a few miles NW of Council Idaho. The last few miles are the roughest I've ever had a truck camper combo on including MaGruder Corridor!!

IM002063.jpg

IM002062.jpg

IM002054.jpg

The pics do not really show just how rough and steep it was!!

Here is my mean green fishing machine ready to assault the lake!!

IM002068.jpg

Fishing was excellent!!! 13-15" trout!!! Then Wed morning while I was releasing a fish my rod quietly slipped into the drink while my back was turned!!! This is the 2ND rod I've lost like this. Forgetting how small the boat is and I set it on the edge and PLUNK!!!

Since fishing is now off the agenda I took a hike down to Lower Hornet Res. The trail dead ends into the lake.

IM002072.jpg

There is no access around the shore for camping or fishing due to the overgrowth. But I was here 3 years ago on a quad and it was dry so doubt there are any fish.

Pretty lake though.

IM002071.jpg

There were two other groups of campers at the lake. One came in on quads and the other a Jeep. There were pretty amazed to see a full size pickup and camper!!!

Well, it's time to head back. I am more than a little concerned about one spot climbing back out. It is a sharp turn to the right with a steep climb over loose dirt and big rocks. Again, the pic does not do it justice!!

IM002076.jpg

I confirmed my suspicions with my first two attempts to get over it!!! I was mad at myself for trying this trip without lockers and winch. I had been over this road before on a quad and knew it was bad!!! Now I'm stuck here!!!

Sitting here thinking of any alternatives and backing back down over this awful road is not one of them!!!! Fighting off a slight panic attack I finally thought, HAH, AIR DOWN some more!!! I let more air out until the tires were good and soft. Tried it again. Made it this time. Still wondered as the truck jumped around looking for traction!!! But finally got through it!!!

All in all, I had a very good time. Did some more damage to the camper and lost a rod but had a lot of fun!!!

The new Engel worked wonderful. Went 72 hours, no solar and kept the beer icy cold!!!

I am very happy with my little Ford and anxious to continue the mods.

I have learned more about what not to order on my new Hawk. No solar, it will just get dragged off anyway. No side window as it will only get damaged by branches. I'm really glad my present camper has the screens on the inside of the windows!!!

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse for a new pack rod. After carefully considering a floating "Spiderman for kids" I got another Daiwa!!!! But I am going to make a lanyard for it!!!!! :D

All in all, I had a very good time. Did some more damage to the camper and lost a rod but had a lot of fun!!!

Dang, I thought you meant a motor rod and wondered how you could sound so upbeat :LOL:

As for the camper might want to get the wiring for solar in case you change your mind, or lose it! I have a side window, can't say I use it much but the dog seems to really enjoy it. Actually when I was bringing my used camper home, across NV, the side window fell out, still out there somewhere. Since then I stuck a piece of plexiglas in there and have enjoyed scratching it up.
619753384_J2bdA-S.jpg

Great report and great pictures of an area of Idaho I haven't explored yet. Looks like I might take the Jeep first to check it out. Thanks for sharing, i've added it to my list.

Great pics, looks like good fun...all that and with a killer camp site by the lake! Pics never do bad roads justice.

Back
Top Bottom