Horse Trailer Behind Keystone

HorseHaulinMama

Hi, I'm new here and considering a FWC. For those of you who haul toys behind your truck with the FWC on it, any opinions about the Grandby vs. Keystone. They both would work weight-wise with my full size Ford and current horse trailer, but I'm a little concerned about an extended hitch with the Keystone. On the other hand, I like the idea of the indoor shower and toilet. Also, any opinions about the looks of the overhang with the Keystone. The Grandby looks better to leave on all the time, I think, since it doesn't hang over.

It will probably boil down to personal preference.

Personally, I prefer to have a flush fitting camper, but I have taken a Keystone on our Dodge Ram 2500 Long Bed and towed a 38' trailer with 3 more campers behind it up to Portland and back.

No extended hitch needed -- just hooked up right to our factory hitch / factory ball & sleve.

The Keystone Model does stick out a little, so I was worried I might jack-knife the back of the camper and the front of the trailer if I had to make a sharp turn around. No problem at all. Drove fine, towed fine, no accidents :)

The ball on the hitch is just about flush with the rear wall of the camper.

Hope this helps a little.

Attachments

• P1010065.JPG
    P1010065.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 410
Well, I have a Grandby on a short bed truck so I have the issue of overhang. I do tow a small trailer with an extension but it's so light there really is no concern. I don't know how many horses you transport or how much your trailer loaded weighs, but with the basic hitch extension they say you loose half your towing capacity. There are many devices that allow you to extend your hitch and still have plenty of tow capacity. Do a Google search for Tow Beast and you will find some good info there.

As for the looks of the Keystone V.S. Grandby, I think it looks better with no overhang, I don't really like the looks of my camper with the overhang, but I sure do enjoy the extra room.

A shower is always nice after a long day, I have an outside shower on my Grandby and use a portable shower enclosure, it works out pretty well but if you need more privacy then the inside shower of the Keystone is nice.

Good luck with your search for the right camper,
Sam

My Rig So Far

Here is a picture of my rig - Big Green (F250 SD) and the horse trailer. I think it would look great with a FWC on the truck. I'm pretty conservative with my towing, ever since I took a short cut and ended up on a winding rutted one lane road for 20 miles pulling the trailer with two horses and all our camping gear. I only have a payload rating of 1800 pounds, since the diesel engine is so heavy. With the tongue weight of the trailer/two horses, a Grandby, and all the stuff, we should be OK. That leaves some capacity to pack out the horse poopies in case there is no manure pit!

Attachments

• 024_22 For Web.jpg
    024_22 For Web.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 358
You said you like a shower, buy a Keystone. You will need to beef up your suspension with either a Grandby or a Keystone because you are towing a trailer. Your 3/4 ton truck has an axle that should handle this. You should be able to buy more camper for your money in a Keystone (ask Stan about that). You will be using your camper for changing cloths and cleaning up frequently. Equestrian gear takes up lots of space. A lot of horsewomen like getting into girly cloths in the evening, so you will want more space, for a complete wardrobe. The sanitary system on a keystone is more like being at home than a Port-a-Potty. It might not matter for you, but you will have girl friends who will be very grateful that you have the nicer facilites in a Keystone. Go for the Keystone. Leave it on your truck all the time. You will love it.

NICE TRUCK !

You should have no problem carrying a camper around on that truck.

We can put a Keystone on our Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel and four (4) FWC Campers on a 38' flat bed trailer and go accross the country.

The 38' trailer loaded with campers weighs in at 7000 lbs +

The only thing we have added is a simple "over-load" spring to the rear suspension to help keep the truck level (not squatting down in the back).

Air Bags or an Over-load seems to work great.

The only thing I would worry about on your horse trailer is the white post sticking up in the front (trailer jack w/ wheel on it probably). It doesn't look like it swings up ? Having the Keystone model sticking out, if you make a really sharp turn that might hit the rear of the camper. Our trailer jacks swings up and is also removeable so we don't have to worry about it.

I sold a Hawk to a lady in Florida that has an F-150 and she tows the horse trailer too. Haven't talked to her in a few years, but last time we talked she was very happy with the set up.

Hope the additional information helps.

Just let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Have a great week !

Attachments

• horse trailer.jpg
    horse trailer.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 329
  • Ford F-250 SD.jpg
    Ford F-250 SD.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Horse & Camper Picture 1.jpg
    Horse & Camper Picture 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 338
  • F-150 HORSE.jpg
    F-150 HORSE.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 334
nice pics stan! with one of those diesels (7.3L ?) i can't imagaine having any problem towing a FWC and a horse trailer...we have towed 7 meterological towers at once with our 01 F350, each 150 + ft tall steel towers...dogged a bit but still made it...those are tough trucks! cheers!

I am trying to sell a 2006 never used Keystone camper. Are there any other websites that you could lead me to where I coud advertise this? I was thinking that people who transport horses might be able to use this camper

Selling your Keystone

Hi Seefox,

Letting people know about your Keystone for sale here is a good start. There are a lot of people interested in these campers that lurk on this sight. There is also a sight somebody set up specifically for advertising used FWC for sale. I don't know whether there is a charge or what it takes to advertise, but here is the link to check it out: http://usedfourwheelcampers.com/index.html

By the way, seems a shame you never got to use it. Good luck.

I have a 85 Keystone on a 89 F250 and I have no problems towing a trailer behind it, it worried me at first that the camper may stick out to far, because I didnt want to extend the hitch out because of extra leverage, stock insert into reciever hitch works great , just have to watch some of the tongue jacks.

Back
Top Bottom