Hot water heater - necessary or luxury?

We consider it a convenience.

We got one on our new Grandby. 6 more gallons of water if needed, 4WC has a really nice function where you can drain the WH back into the fresh tank if it runs out and flip the bypass.

Its nice to have hot water on demand for doing dishes, washing hands, a quick wash cloth wipe down or even a shower outside if needed.

Yea, we lost some storage space but when your used to motorcycle camping, you learn how to pack sparingly.

Colorado Mark said:
We consider it a convenience.

We got one on our new Grandby. 6 more gallons of water if needed, 4WC has a really nice function where you can drain the WH back into the fresh tank if it runs out and flip the bypass.

Its nice to have hot water on demand for doing dishes, washing hands, a quick wash cloth wipe down or even a shower outside if needed.

Yea, we lost some storage space but when your used to motorcycle camping, you learn how to pack sparingly.

Mark...if you do not already do this and since you live in Colorado [it gets butt-cold there]...heating up the water in the hot water tank does provide some heat in the space around the plumbing behind the cabinets...if possible another ploy is to heat up the 5 gallons you can transfer, drain it into the main water tank [assuming of course you have sufficient room in that tank] and then re-heat another 5 gallons...yes you will pump some warm water out of main tank on the second use of hot water heater but the net result is higher temps in area of plumbing to forestall freezing of the water system.

During sketching low temps we also open our turnbuckle access doors and cabinet doors and crank up the FWC space heater...it all counts.

Phil

A shower is such a personal decision. If you or your traveling companions value them, it is probably worth the space/weight to add one.

I survive quite well with a sunshower. If the sun won't heat it up enough, a 1/2 liter of boiling water added fixes that.
One advantage of a sun shower is I can use non-potable water and not use up my drinking water, extending my stay.
I do not have a water system to keep from freezing.

jim

HW heater ? Don't have one. Never have, so not a necessity for us. We get by with the stove, kettle/large pot, facecloth and tub method, or preferably, bucket and scoop. Better still, swimming.

Do you wish you had one ? Not really. Definitely agree a shower is nice thing but we have no means to "shower" onboard, no shower head, plumbed water system, pump or pressure. We do have a privacy tent but what I'd really like for "next time" is a dedicated wet room inside the camper. Then we'd prob continue with the bucket and scoop method for simplicity.

Refrain from showering while boondocking ? No. In fact we find it easier to freshen up or wash the hermit beard when in the bush with the absence of other people around. We carry a lot of water - too much I've read on this site but nevermind. I'd turn the question a bit and ask, do you shower when there are facilities available, eg in a CG. We don't choose to use CGs because of showers but we'll usually use them if they are on site. Going forward with covid etc who knows how we'd use such facilities ...

klahanie said:
….. We carry a lot of water - too much I've read on this site but nevermind…
How much water you carry is actually a root of the question. When weight is a consideration, and it should always be, 33 pounds of a hot water heater is equal to 4 gallons of water. Which can you do without and which do you choose to carry.

Boonie

Both work.

At least in a flatbed model the water heater is set low in a pretty non-accessible storage area. So then it comes back to finances. None of us bought a FWC to rough it... so there is your answer... or not!

We not only have a hot water heater (gives me a warm and cuddly feeling every time I hear it fire off when we set up camp) but we also have (HORRORS!) an inside shower but (EVEN WORSE!) actually use it every 3rd or 4th day on a long trip!

We've done the 200 mile backpacking trips and loved them... 30-40 years ago. But at 67 and 64 Sioux and I enjoy the heck out of our Grandby flatbed... with hot water AND an (occasional) inside shower.

Boonie said:
Which can you do without and which do you choose to carry.
At this point I can do without spending 4-500USD retrofitting. If the next camper has a HW heater and a shower/toilet closet, great - I won't be removing it.

For now I can, and have, carried the equivalent heater weight as an extra, full 10L water container. When it's been used or emptied that weight is gone. Carrying what I called "a lot" or more water just gives us more self sufficiency when it comes to personal cleaning - which has been our biggest water use variable during trips.

For me, as both a permanent weight addition and decrease to internal storage, coupled with my desire to have a personal Shell build, plumbing a hot water heater was way problematic. So instead I option to carry more, or less, water. I purchased a solar shower/tank & subsidize it with hot water (in Winter) as needed. It travels with the hitch mount & is removed at camp. I pressurize, add water, couple it with a mounted shower curtain. Some bathing is a marital necessity sharing a box. https://thewaterport.com/ https://www.costco.com/waterport-day-tank-3.8-gallon-portable-self-pressurized-water-system-bundle.product.100491652.html
We’re longtime packers, a lukewarm shower is luxury, have always adapted to bathe. To enhance the interior, to add comfort, required the entire shower assembly to be external. Later on maybe, especially if it’s a flatbed, water heater.

It's a luxury we can't live without. If you use your camper for a base in remote areas to hike, bike, kayak, ect all day. A HOT shower is a godsend. Really all you need is to rinse the grime off. It does use precious water, but so worth it. I would look at instant hot water heaters if cabinet space is a concern. If there are people around take a shower in a swim suit.

After a career of guiding in the mountains and spending most of my camp time making water, heating water, serving hot water, making more hot water, well, you get the idea, having hot water at the tap is beyond words.

Two weeks ago I got us off route while mountain biking and the wife got into some poison oak. Right back to the camper we went for a hot shower. Days later she happily reports no outbreak. That right there was worth having it :p

I’ve read on WTW about adding valves to the drain hose and the outside shower lines to help protect from the cold, but I’ve lost the thread that describes the details. Anybody doing this? I for sure want to use the hot water this winter.

Dave in WA
2020 Hawk

I have the valve to do this, but have not got around to installing it. Measure the diameter of the tubing that runs from your water tank to the drain valve, and buy and install an appropriately sized valve:
https://www.mcmaster.com/flow-valves/on-off-valves/connection-style~barbed/

If you want to be fancy, you can add a diverter valve, so you can fully drain the line to the outside fitting:
https://www.mcmaster.com/flow-valves/diverting-valves/shape~tee/connection-style~barbed/

That said, the reason I have never installed my valve is that we have never had an issue with the drain valve freezing and damaging anything. We camp well below freezing with our water system.

Boonie said:
In my build weight is a constant consideration.

Boonie
My first Hawk did not have water heater and i simply heated water on the cooktop. Used a large pot of warm water for showers a couple of times. My 2016 Hawk has the water heater and I'm glad to have it along with the additional 6 gallon tank. Your profile picture looks like a camper going onto a Wrangler and if so I would agree to delete the water heater along with as much other weight as possible. If you are going on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck then consider adding it. If not for you then for the next owner of your rig which you may eventually sell.

For us, it's a luxury. We mostly do weekend trips nearby, so cold showers aren't the end of the world. We heat water on the camping water heater. Been RVing for years, and even if you boondock sometimes, a few minutes of hot water makes a world of difference.

Really depends on the length of the trip and how dirty I get. Overnighters it won't get used. Really get blasted with dust its more than a luxury. I'm not a big fan of wipes, they're better than nothing but even close to a good shower.

For me, it is a luxurious, necessity. We often boon dock for several days to escape the masses. Having a real, hot water shower makes a world of difference. A quick wet, soap up and rinse and we are ready for another couple days with renewed vigor, especially with the invigorating tingle of some Dr. Broners :)

I also surf in Norcal where it gets chilly. Hot water rinse post surf is such a treat. A good washing after a day of baiting crab traps and fishing is mandatory to keep the camper and bedding clean and not fishy smelling.

I run a Hawk on a 1500 Chevy and the weight has never been a concern. Also I find heating water on the stove for washing produces extra moisture in the camper (just don't let it boil I guess).

Lastly, if Momma aint happy, aint nobody happy! A nice shower keeps my wife stoked and wanting to keep the camping adventures alive! Not to mention, we often camp to get a break from the kids and spend some time alone together. Being nice and clean increases the snuggle factor :)

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2254 (1).jpg
    IMG_2254 (1).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 25
I ordered hot water in our 2021 Grandby, mainly because my wife felt it was essential. We agree if we were doing it again we would not order it. Water heated on the stove and a shower bag is fine for me. In the kitchen I heat water and pour it into a thermos pitcher for dishes.

However, since we have it we do use it for showers and spraying feet or shoes off at the beach quite a bit. Capt Davenport pretty much nails it regarding it being a nice luxury.

Don't have it. By intention. But we do have various hot springs and a few campgrounds with showers scoped out for refreshing stops and in between a foot pumped shower is great after letting it heat in the sun all day while standing on slickrock sandstone. Different needs suggest different outcomes for people.

Because we travel full time in remote locations quite often, we decided to get a camplux 1.5 GPM flash heater. It lives in the camper till we stop and then I hang it on our jerry can rack. I have a quick disconnect whip that comes from my propane storage to plug in and quick disconnects for the water and the shower head. When I put my water system I ran a line to the back bottom side of the camper hanging over the truck and mounted a quick water connection. Because we travel in both warm and cool weather conditions, We keep everything in the camper till we park at night and then put those items that we might use like our awning tent in the cab.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom