Hot water heaters

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
:LOL:

Okay guys I've went through my trouble shooting guides and tried to check all the threads to find one that will tell me how to clean the pilot light on my 05 Granbys' hot water heater and can't find one so help- is there such an animal on this site. My pilot light is hard to light the first time out each trip. Once it is lit it usually stays lit until I turn it off, and for the rest of that trip it relights okay! I'm assuming it needs to be cleaned (a while back I had the HW tank cleaned out after it sent a jet of water out of the valve every time I hit the pump switch-so probably should have had that done too!)! Is there a simple way to clean it? Or where is the thread on this site. Or could there be something else wrong! Any help would be appreciated :LOL: before I blow myself up trying to light the damn thing!

Smoke

Mines always taken forever to light. Not sure why. I can light the stove in a few seconds, takes a minute or two to get propane to the water heater. Only really annoying if the wind is blowing.

Mine takes a while to light if it hasn't been used in awhile. I think it has to do with the distance between the heater and the propane tank.

Mine takes a while to light if it hasn't been used in awhile. I think it has to do with the distance between the heater and the propane tank.

Well, thanks guys:LOL:; sounds like we all have the same problem with the system. To bad, I was hoping that there was some type of "quick" clean or something to speed up the process. Can't win them all I guess.

Smoke

That is pretty normal.

When the hot water heater has not been used in awhile, or if you have disconnected the propane tank, some air can get in the propane lines.

The propane line for the hot water heater is small, so it takes a minute or two to bleed out any air in the line.

The easiest way to get the hot water heater is ...

1. Use a long BBQ lighter (instead of matches).

2. Hook the propane tank up and open the propane valve.

3. Hop inside the camper and run the stove for about 10 - 20 seconds.

4. Turn on the furnace for a minute.

5. Then hop outside and fire up the hot water heater.

Once the hot water heater is going, it should be easy to light the rest of your trip.

The burner tube / propane valve is pretty simple on the hot water heater, so I don't think there is any need to be trying to clean it out.

(unless you have spider webs in there, or something)

Hope this helps

:)

That is pretty normal.

When the hot water heater has not been used in awhile, or if you have disconnected the propane tank, some air can get in the propane lines.

The propane line for the hot water heater is small, so it takes a minute or two to bleed out any air in the line.

The easiest way to get the hot water heater is ...

1. Use a long BBQ lighter (instead of matches).

2. Hook the propane tank up and open the propane valve.

3. Hop inside the camper and run the stove for about 10 - 20 seconds.

4. Turn on the furnace for a minute.

5. Then hop outside and fire up the hot water heater.

Once the hot water heater is going, it should be easy to light the rest of your trip.

The burner tube / propane valve is pretty simple on the hot water heater, so I don't think there is any need to be trying to clean it out.

(unless you have spider webs in there, or something)

Hope this helps

:)

:LOL:
Thanks Stan-Was just hoping there was some secret to the process that I'd missed for the last six years.

Smoke

I have not been able to light the pilot cold for a while now. I light the heater, and then the pilot works in conjunction with the thermostat to maintain the h2o temp.

I was tinkering with it today, making sure the orifices were clean, etc. I found a pilot adjustment screw and it was adjusted all the way in. I turned it all the way out, and removed it. There is no change in the pilot flame when i turn this adj. screw. Has anyone been able to adjust the pilot flame on a Suburban SW3P Direct Vent Gas Water Heater? It seems there might be too much gas flow on the initial light. I would like to be able to turn it down slightly, and see if it will light easier. Anyone know how this pilot adjustment works? The install and operation manual is silent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 107

Back
Top Bottom