How Cold Is Too Cold for a Hawk Water System?

Just getting ready to a trip to the desert and thinking about protecting the water pump and tank from freezing when I remembered I had a seedling heating pad that I used to get a early start on my tomato and other seedlings in the early Spring. Has any one used these heat pads around or near vulnerable pipes, electric pump and tank? The heat pad seems to heats up about +20 F above ambient temp.

Not sure how much amps the heat pad uses, but going to give it a try when it gets too cold.

muttmaster said:
Just getting ready to a trip to the desert and thinking about protecting the water pump and tank from freezing when I remembered I had a seedling heating pad that I used to get a early start on my tomato and other seedlings in the early Spring. Has any one used these heat pads around or near vulnerable pipes, electric pump and tank? The heat pad seems to heats up about +20 F above ambient temp.

Not sure how much amps the heat pad uses, but going to give it a try when it gets too cold.

AC current correct? There are also 'heating wires' that wrap around pipes to prevent freezing but they also are AC; requiring an external AC source.

AC current. Amazon sell these and poster said it draw 8amps. I might try putting it on top of the tank and use a timer to kick in in the early AM hours to see how warm it gets.

muttmaster said:
AC current. Amazon sell these and poster said it draw 8amps. I might try putting it on top of the tank and use a timer to kick in in the early AM hours to see how warm it gets.

I have no idea how to easily access my water storage tank in our 2016 Hawk and I believe it would be more critical to heat the pump and lines going into and out of the storage tank which are in the same cabinet...just my guess.

8 amps? That's 360 watts. That could put a serious dent in your battery charge overnight! Something with a much smaller draw could potentially be enough to keep the tank from freezing. I'm thinking something like this - LINK

Vic Harder said:
8 amps? That's 360 watts. That could put a serious dent in your battery charge overnight! Something with a much smaller draw could potentially be enough to keep the tank from freezing. I'm thinking something like this - LINK

Vic..I think he stated it would require AC not battery energy...and again...I don't think the tank is weak link, because the pump and plumbing will freeze before the tank does..

Wallowa said:
Vic..I think he stated it would require AC not battery energy...
Where is the AC coming from? I guess I assumed he was boondocking and would have to invert it... But you know what happens when you assume something :oops:

Vic Harder said:
Where is the AC coming from? I guess I assumed he was boondocking and would have to invert it... But you know what happens when you assume something :oops:

Yes..it confused me also...but I also assumed that he would need external AC power..

If camping, run the furnace thermostat a little higher than you might otherwise, leave cabinet doors open where pump and piping exist. Run a small fan like the O2cool 5" fan (that runs a long time on 2 D. Cell batteries) to push heated air into the cabinets.

28 degrees in Bryce last spring and no problems with thermostat set at 53. I run an O2cool fan when I use the furnace to mix the air at the floor with the air higher up to keep my feet and legs warm while standing or sitting.

I view the furnace electrical use a tradeoff with the fridge which rarely runs when it's cold enough to need the furnace.
Paul

PaulT said:
If camping, run the furnace thermostat a little higher than you might otherwise, leave cabinet doors open where pump and piping exist. Run a small fan like the O2cool 5" fan (that runs a long time on 2 D. Cell batteries) to push heated air into the cabinets.

28 degrees in Bryce last spring and no problems with thermostat set at 53. I run an O2cool fan when I use the furnace to mix the air at the floor with the air higher up to keep my feet and legs warm while standing or sitting.

I view the furnace electrical use a tradeoff with the fridge which rarely runs when it's cold enough to need the furnace.
Paul
Thanks Paul...with all the discussion this approach keeps coming back as perhaps the most effective and simplest....if it gets really serious, opening the turnbuckle access doors could also forestall plumbing freezes...especially if you have capped off the spaces between the camper and the truck bed to lessen air circulation between the two...

My Hawk is "on for good" but if I take it off, I will add foam board insulation to the bed sidewalls...and perhaps to some of the floor of the camper; only thought on not insulating all the outside of the floor is the need to drain water out of the truck bed. Suppose I could leave channels....

I put the foam board (R6)along the sides where water is stored or water lines exist this fall. I'm also planning to in pipe insulation where water line comes out of the tank. I'm heading out next week for a week of backcountry skiing so we'll see how it works. In my Fleet I've had 3 freeze ups and it is always in the same spot. It freezes where the water line exits the tank. I drain my hot water tank and leave the cabinet doors open at night. Like a bunch of folks I leave the heat on low and the roof vent open part way.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

FreezingMan said:
I put the foam board (R6)along the sides where water is stored or water lines exist this fall. I'm also planning to in pipe insulation where water line comes out of the tank. I'm heading out next week for a week of backcountry skiing so we'll see how it works. In my Fleet I've had 3 freeze ups and it is always in the same spot. It freezes where the water line exits the tank. I drain my hot water tank and leave the cabinet doors open at night. Like a bunch of folks I leave the heat on low and the roof vent open part way.

Interested in hearing your report after the ski trip...

Questions:

R6 insulation "along the sides", can you be more specific? Inside the camper frame sidewall or outside? How much of this area covered? How access?

"I'm also planning to in pipe insulation where water line comes out of the tank. "....'install'? How are you accomplishing this? Access and materials used.

Thanks, I will go-to-school on your experiences! :D

Phil

ImageUploadedByWander The West1483237669.638611.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1483237691.357689.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1483237712.101576.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1483237729.993998.jpg. The photos show the layout of the rigid insulation. After five days the water stayed much warmer and camper floor was warmer. Overall I would say we felt more comfortable.

FreezingMan said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1483237669.638611.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1483237691.357689.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1483237712.101576.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1483237729.993998.jpg. The photos show the layout of the rigid insulation. After five days the water stayed much warmer and camper floor was warmer. Overall I would say we felt more comfortable.

Hey, well done! Thanks for photos.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom