How do you handle your mattress topper?

PJorgen

This is kind of a convoluted question so I'll try to be as clear as possible.

We have a 2014 FWC Hawk and like many discovered that the foam mattress was way too hard. We swapped out FWC's foam for a lower density foam, but still not comfortable. So this year we purchased a 2" memory foam mattress topper - success! Now very comfortable, we sleep as well as we do at home.

Before we had the topper, I could toss the two "extra" cushions from the bed on top of the main mattress, slide the bed extension in and lower the top with just a tiny bit of room to spare between the cushions and the roof. Now with the topper I can no longer do that. If I toss the cushions on the main mattress and fold the topper over its way too thick to allow the roof to come down all the way. I've taken to leaving the bed extended when I lower the top. That works but makes it difficult to raise the top as I can't get directly under the front "lifting zone" with the bed extended.

Any ideas or suggestions from you folks who use toppers?

While I have an excellent mattress right from ATC, I do drive with the bed extended and the mattress in it's normal sleeping extended position.

When I camp, I lift the rear of the top first, then I just remove the two extended mattress pads, place them on the floor, on their edge, leaning against the driver's side cabinets, slide the bed extension forward, and I'm right at the front of the camper to lift the front top section. Once the top is up, I take the two extended mattress pads and toss them up on the front section of the bed (the cab over section).

To me, it's just part of the process and take less than 60 seconds.

With my 2012 slide in Hawk I hated having to constantly deal with the two extra bed cushions. So I stopped carrying them and used the bottom ones from the rollover bed. I believe they weren't quite long enough and let a 5" space at the end of the bed. This never bothered me since I usually slept more toward the middle anyway.

Just one idea...

I just one of the extra pads on my Eagle, between the side window and the backrest of the bench. The other just goes on the bench. I think we have 3" (maybe 4) pad and have no issues closing the top though. I pull the bed out too when I close it and then kind of do a push the top up while pushing in the bed at the same time thing to get the front up. My bigger problem is I usually try this when I have stuff on the floor in my way so I can't position myself very well, but that's a logistic issue as I try to get the top up before unloading.

My Eagle has 4 'extra' cushions for the bed and I put two on the counter and two between the side dinette table and the window when driving. I used footman loops and a bungee to hold them on the counter.

For my topper cushion I use a thick REI self inflating pad, the same type I use when packing into wilderness areas. During camping trips I keep the pad on the bed and simply open the valve on the pad and lower the roof. Between camping trips I roll up the pad loosely and store it between the couch and window. With all the camping gear and clothing there is more than enough stuff to move around so the simpler the better. The last thing I want to do at the end of a packing trip is wrestle my bed.

I use a double size self inflating pad from REI. Close the deflater and open the inflate valves After I raise the top. Close both before I go to bed. Open the deflater when I get up if lowering the top.

Back
Top Bottom