How do you organize your under the sink area and cubbies?

hoyden said:
Casa Escarlata Robles Too - my under the sink area has more of a lip than yours, I think, but I really like that roll out!

Hoyden. The basket it self sits on a frame that screws down and slides out about an 1" above the bottom.My opening is 9" with a 1/2" lip,so the basket slides over the lip.
Also our storage, mostly clothes are kept in the rear cab in file drawers,but we don't have animals with us.
Our other storage,caned food/all the food ingredients for our meals (that don't need refrigeration) are kept in another 2 drawer file at the right rear of the camper. Makes organizing everything easier.

Also storage in the rear dinette seat and the front where the battery is.Great place to keep a few bottles of our favorite wine.
Also we take full use of the turnbuckle access holes.
I have a side dinette and still have loads of room,as Bill D states try to take what you can't get along your trip.
We keep telling ourselves that "remember there are stores along the route".

Our basket contains pretty much what Bill D carries. 1 pasta type pot, 2 fry pans ,2 sauce pans. euro style espresso coffee pot,small "perk" style coffee pot (used to boil water). extra can of bear spray,1 pot lid,( the other 3 sit in a rack behind the sink,and last a 5" strainer with handle. It sounds like a lot but it all fits and is well organized. The under sink area has room left for the small bottles of OVOO,vinegar "Pam" spray,napkins,stuff like that.
Then 2 1/2 gallon bottles of water and another bottle of wine.
Sounds like a lot but not really.
Frank

I did pretty good with having all the stuff I need on my October trip, but now I'm leaving without a home-base, so I guess feeling a little more stressed about 'stuff'. Which is silly. I'm not sure why the under-sink area got so disorganized, but I'm not liking it right now. Maybe I'll get some bins for now and see how it goes

What I've found to be helpful and fun on my travels is thrift stores.

On my last trip to Vancouver Island I picked up a 5 gallon water jug for $5, to use for grey water containment. It is high quality, so I still use it today. The same store had 2 Royal Dalton stainless steel frying pans for $20 and $15. I passed on them as I was already equipped, but they would have been perfect. I bought my plates for the camper here too. They appeared brand new. I think I paid $3 for 4 plates. They seem indestructible.

Between dollar stores and thrift stores you should be able to pick up what you find you need for minimal cash.

Organize? I'm not familiar with that term. There's ways other than just cramming everything in and hoping the latch doesn't pop open?

This is actually a current pic of the situation under my sink. Yuck!

BkSID9nG4c9mx1196oh90RwNeprzsJYT9gWmfcvlI-tlxYR4S324EzK_Zs3EpXyrayyDzLew7i0X-qgoJjQucSBHqIZ_DA8M04k6o_5JMYoIopIMm0xhlFjluaFKOFmwSYwKfBjq2Ad8U7R0LF8NJVohaOxfY-kQmIMS3a0qs5nHpcjgn0-f6i69qiafGDDMQM4DBB3-aqhK-qhSOZh8ewPKJl25P2Err4QUq0hPToylw99klVPEQIm1cBNcibi3NlkELz4ifIRFHAOHwQyHwKfMuy0LgZoydyDNH_rxYfRfijeyY2CQVx3OsdvFUnYJyJKdFRd2d1iyG0EcXflCMS9JolimlgejIxtUa3wD_Me55584viWPFFYfv4-loIBkYShsNkbML29rQttzRkqtVGUGFqnpTWfInSOuJ1RlTPjOWpZNb0nQzQURJZ08lILvPdDlwJWIuzVVKHFRqUL_c8FK5ebkPcBaz5Oi6cFjfJKgRMHqCIek4y2I4NXOjauNS3lrZheHkuP5xhS8iJtwf8IhqfE4NNOYG-4iLvP9wAjTsD2nz1BbXFfTRpOvvkxzon42J9mGGNGLz8OBNLRYQBOOHljzLMDiD3F7XCbrYPQe2sFMdA=w1023-h579-no

I think one of your biggest challenges is the upper storage container is too tall, leading to disorganization underneath.
I like how the bottom of the cupboard has a lip to keep things from falling out.
What may serve you better is a shorter and optionally wider container on the top.
Don't go too wide, because you will always end up with items that require more height.

This would allow you to stand can goods/toliet paper etc. upright underneath the container.
Loose, small and odd shaped items, could then get stored in the upper container.

You could even build an optional removable shelf beside the container, allowing height if needed or more storage.

The container sits on a stand so that I can use the drawer, but that doesn't seem to be working good.
But I think little stuff isn't good for in that space because of that lip / can't use a pull-out easily without having that under-space making things get lost.

I like the idea of storing things like TP and such under there. I'll pop-up tomorrow and try some different things.

We try to keep them organized but it all ends up a disaster anyway. We also keep moving things around for what works at that time

www.mulehawk.com

I have tried to find a variety of plastic containers to fit:
Here are some small containers to organize the space behind the upper drawers (under the cook top):
DSCF3049.jpg

Here are some containers I use like drawers for the tall cabinet:
DSCF3051.jpg

Here are some for under the sink (pots and pans will stack on top:
DSCF3050.jpg

I'm a new owner and am also trying to organize, so I appreciate all the suggestions (especially the cloth cubes).

My Fleet front dinette has a passenger-side top-opening shallow space that a MTM ACR5-72 Ammo Crate utility box fits perfectly. It is hinged, latches securely and has an o-ring gasket. Air-tight, water-tight, and will hold 85#. Usually about $15. So far, freeze-dried food, medications, anything paper, anything critters might like, and some dessicant packs go in.

Link;

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjM0_2YvebQAhXBy1QKHW0HDGwQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtmcase-gard.com%2Fmtm-ammo-crate.php&usg=AFQjCNH0aXzeuiQgU7AdJfTR2eRtoMLCuA&sig2=7spTnzJk-e3lkwGh17C6xA

Scott

I built my own cabinets for Eagle shell. Under the counter there are no walls between each cabinet section (it is all open inside). Inside there are custom wooden trays that slide left or right giving me access to the large rectangular hole (see gray areas) that goes down to the base of the camper. I can put a lot of food cans in there. The silverware tray is custom and slides out. Each wooden tray has dividers to hold specific types of items so they don't jump around inside the cabinet on bumpy roads. Works well.

Chris (aka Yukon)

Attachments

• cabinets1.jpg
    cabinets1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 91
  • cabinets4.jpg
    cabinets4.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Cabinets3.jpg
    Cabinets3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 85
One more cabinet on window side of camper. Also custom made. Photo shows cabinet door open. Wooden box slides out. It has sub-dividers so all bottles stay upright. Everything fits perfectly and is not removed from the camper at end of trip. For us, organization is essential element of having two people in a small camper for long periods of time.
Chris

Attachments

• cabinet5.jpg
    cabinet5.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 99
Still a work in progress. Trying to find the perfect fit organizing trays.

Attachments

• DSC06354.jpg
    DSC06354.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC06355.jpg
    DSC06355.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 71

Back
Top Bottom