How does the FWC secure to bed of truck?

gillfoto

Looking at buying used FWC. It would mean truck rental so I could bring it back to Alaska. My question is how does FWC factory secure (bolt) camper to bed?

(BTW Sorry if this has been posted but Search didn't help)

Typically it's 4 eyebolts bolted through the bed and turnbuckles.

The camper has reciprocating eyebolts that could be used to tie down, or large straps around the whole camper could be used short term.

When I picked my Hawk up in a GMC Sierra, I secured the turnbuckles to the factory tie downs in the bed of the truck. I drove over 1000 miles of mountain highway and two ferries that way without issue.
I never did any off roading or hit any major bumps but I felt comfortable with the setup. I just remained mindful that it was a temporary solution. Even with heavy ratchet straps secured to the internal box tie downs, I would have felt comfortable.

Just make sure whatever truck you rent has internal tie downs inside the box.

If you feel you need more than this based on the roads you will travel then perhaps look at further strapping, but let's not blow things out of proportion here. Use your judgment.

Sell your truck in AK, buy another one down here and drive home. My experience is that vehicles are worth more in AK. You could have the electrical and tie down mods made to your new truck at FWC then enjoy your trip back to AK and do some fishing along the way. I also don't need to tell you that those tundra undellations in the Yukon to Tok Alaska Highway would require that you go mighty slow if you didn't have your new camper secured properly. Those undellations sneak up on you. I swear that I had air under my boat trailer tires a couple of times. It's weird how the road is great then you increase your speed and all of a sudden whoop, whoop,.... Woahhhhhhh Shite!!! You just can't see them coming at you. The other concern would be critter panic stops.

I don't think there is any out of state CA sales tax but not certain. Im thinking hat is taken care of when you license back in AK. If it is an issue, purchase it in OR. No sales tax there.

I Just noticed that you are in Juneau..... Fish your way down the Skeena hitting Bulkley, Kispiox and Copper Tributaries. Best native Steelhead fishing in the world, in between Smithers and Terrace. Chinook is starting now. Steelhead Aug. through Oct. great camping and walk in access. Then take the ferry from Prince Rupert home. Even if you don't fish it great countryside. The beautiful thing about FWCs is that they don't cost much to ferry. It is probably not much more than the fuel to go up through the Yukon and back down to Juneau.

I just hauled my about 600 miles with three big ratchet straps and it didn't move an inch.

I recently drove my FWC across the country with only two eyebolts attached. Nothing moved.

Back
Top Bottom