How in the world to camp in the Midwest and avoid ticks?

We have one set of cloths treated with permethrin which can survive a few washes and only wear them in tick heavy areas like Missouri. On skin, we use picaridin instead of deet because of fewer issues. The picaridin has worked for us.

Long pants treated with permethrin, a long sleeved shirt of the same variety, a dash 'o Deet around the ankles, wrist, and neck. And a bit of good fortune.

Foy

Okay, so from this plethora of great info, it seems I need to order some picaridin and permethrin.
Oh, and citronella tiki torches. and maybe a netted enclosure. :-D
I do have some of that Repel lemon eucalyptus spray in the camper. I should get that out.
Maybe I'll make a little pack just with bug stuff to grab when I go out for a walk with the dogs.

I did not know this, JaSAn! "Ammonia will stop mosquito bites from itching, you can buy it in applicators around here."

and I knew that ticks had some way to sense creatures below, but did not know it was our CO2 signature, Happyjax! "They will however drop from trees where they lie in wait for the odor of carbon dioxide which tells them a host is below."

I've got both dogs on heartworm and Frontline.

If the bugs are so bad that a headnet is recommended, I'm not going outside. Fergiddaboudit. (reading the REI link...)

Stalking Light said:
I got one of these to try on mosquitoes on our next trip:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-MR-BP-Thermacell-MR-BP-Backpacker-Mosquito-Repeller/dp/B06X6B8W5P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497187206&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=backpacker+mosquito+repeller&psc=1

We used to use Frontline on our border collie but it eventually proved ineffective for fleas so we switched to Nexgard and it has worked much better.
Apologies for a slight hijack... Charlie, do you know if there's any potential for lens coating damage from the Thermacell?

I don't know. We plan on just using ours under the awning when we sit outdoors and there likely won't be cameras out there with us. I have seen some expressing concern about optics but not any actually identifying damage caused by it.

We buy these as my wife's CO2 signature must be detectable from space!
https://www.amazon.com/Avon-Skin-Guard-Picaridin-Towelettes/dp/B001CXF4WI/

31btJMTwX8L.jpg

I have Permethrin by the gallon, as I have horses, goats, and three dogs!! It does repel flies and ticks, as well as kills some other critters, but do not get it on your lips or tender skin. Avon's "Skin So Soft", has also been a wonder for folks who cannot tolerate DEET, or other nasty stuff. As you saw in the post by NTSQD, it comes in Picardin also!
Be sure to put the permethrin on before you go out, as since it is on your clothes that it repels and kills, you need it immeadiatly when leaving shelter. You can buy the permethrin spray at most feed stores, or animal supply places online like "Country Supply" and I imagine "Tractor Supply". The sprays are called fly sprays, and come in propelled, or pump spray. Just a note.....Permethrin WILL kill bees, and other beneficial insects, so do not spray on flowers or bushes.

Interesting products! I'll have to read more about the Thermacell thing. The Skin so Soft looks handy, but could be pricey if one goes out often.

I'm going to need a "cheat sheet" to make sure I don't mix up Permethrin and Picaridin.

Is it common that Frontline eventually proves ineffective for fleas? I just ran out of it for Argos, perhaps I'll switch him to Nexgard - tho it looks like I can't get it online? Well, not thru Amazon anyway :) And the few sites that do sell it, I don't know those online shops

Also...for the bite ad itch of mosquitos, and chiggers, use Vaporub. You will smell like a eucalyptus, but it does help with the itch. I imagine it is the mint, eucalyptus oil, and rosemary oil.

Just purchased some Permethrin. I'll be prepared for whatever conditions I run across. I'm thinking lake level won't be bad but higher elevations...

Not to derail but I've heard rattlesnakes are especially bad this year. Not too concerned for myself, I know to look where I'm going but Riley might just think they're interesting enough for a good sniff.

Frontline kills fleas after they bite and doesn't kill the eggs. We've had a few bad flea seasons in the south and the constant flea hatches on the dog were allowing them to spread everywhere. Nexgard kills the eggs too. I think you may have to get it from your vet.

Wow...and I thought grizz were something to worry about or maybe mountain lions!
Mosquitos and I think other critters can home in on your scent...so if you can bathe regularly that helps....even a sponge bath will help. All those perfumes, scented deodorants, hair products seem to attract critters as well so pass on that stuff.

Tucking your pants into your sox is a good idea but you do kinda look pretty goofy...but there are nylon gaiters you can wear that will do the same thing....mountaineering shops have them, probably the internet as well. A baseball cap may keep 'em out of your eyebrows (ticks, etc.) but a hat with a really WIDE brim and possibly a neck sunshade is better. Don't forget to occasionally remove it an slap it on a rock or something to dislodge any that have fallen on you from the trees above. If you KNOW you are in Tick Country...keep a whisk/brush at the back door and you and your camping buddy can brush each other down so you don't carry the %$#@s into the camper and they find you at night!

I know the torture of having a couple mosquitos riddle you and the Mrs. after getting into your camper and you fall asleep. Nothing says "Uh-oh" like the sound of one buzzing around your ear after lights out for the night!.

Yeah, you may have a bear problem someday but you will have bug issues. I'm just glad we don't have a big problem with noseeums around here.

slickrock steve said:
I have Permethrin by the gallon, as I have horses, goats, and three dogs!! It does repel flies and ticks, as well as kills some other critters, but do not get it on your lips or tender skin. Avon's "Skin So Soft", has also been a wonder for folks who cannot tolerate DEET, or other nasty stuff. As you saw in the post by NTSQD, it comes in Picardin also!
Be sure to put the permethrin on before you go out, as since it is on your clothes that it repels and kills, you need it immeadiatly when leaving shelter. You can buy the permethrin spray at most feed stores, or animal supply places online like "Country Supply" and I imagine "Tractor Supply". The sprays are called fly sprays, and come in propelled, or pump spray. Just a note.....Permethrin WILL kill bees, and other beneficial insects, so do not spray on flowers or bushes.
Tractor supply does have it, but there are two different formulations available. One has Permethrin as the active and the other has pyrethrins, which I know nothing of. The container for the latter does say that you can apply it directly to livestock. I'm very disinclined to try that on myself!

hoyden said:
.... The Skin so Soft looks handy, but could be pricey if one goes out often.
My wife seems to be able to apply once, at most twice a day with those Avon wipes and be fine. Which ends up being 3 maybe 4 times a year. If it were more often she'd likely be buying by the bottle.

PackRat said:
Tucking your pants into your sox is a good idea but you do kinda look pretty goofy...but there are nylon gaiters you can wear that will do the same thing....
Tucking your pants into socks looks goofier than nylon gaiters? I dunno.... :D :D :D

518723_340x340.jpg

hoyden said:
I did not know this, JaSAn! "Ammonia will stop mosquito bites from itching, you can buy it in applicators around here."
What I do is scratch the bite to abrade the skin then apply ammonia. If it stings a little and the bite itches like crazy for about 20 seconds or so, it will be effective. If it doesn't sting it helps, but not as much and I usually scratch and apply again.

PackRat said:
Mosquitos and I think other critters can home in on your scent...so if you can bathe regularly that helps....even a sponge bath will help. . . .

Tucking your pants into your sox is a good idea but you do kinda look pretty goofy...but there are nylon gaiters you can wear that will do the same thing....

A baseball cap may keep 'em out of your eyebrows (ticks, etc.) but a hat with a really WIDE brim . . . to dislodge any that have fallen on you from the trees above. . . .

I know the torture of having a couple mosquitos riddle you and the Mrs. after getting into your camper and you fall asleep. Nothing says "Uh-oh" like the sound of one buzzing around your ear after lights out for the night!.
Bathing doesn't help. Ticks have such good scent glands (called Haller's Organ) on its front legs that it can detect your breath:

"With legs outstretched, the tiny tick can pick up on all the foul odors people produce, from bad breath to belches, and it can even smell your farts. But even the most well-groomed and properly behaved hiker can’t avoid detection by the Haller’s organ, because it can also sense changes in temperature as you approach."

and I could find no evidence of ticks falling from trees:

"Wearing a hat will be almost no help in preventing tick bites, unless you tend to do handstands in the tall grass. When you find a tick on your upper body or in your hair, it is nearly always because the tick managed to crawl there from your leg."

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-ticks-get-on-you-1968610

The only thing worse (and mosquitoes buzzing me after lights out is bad enough) is finding 1 tick on me just before bed. I can feel them crawling on me all night.

jim

Back
Top Bottom