New to the Forum: Considering FWC Hawk

I am planning on attending the Sportsman Expo in Denver this weekend. I talked to Chris at Rocky Mountain FWC and he stated that they will have a few on display. I can only make it in on Sunday, which is the last day, so hopefully the AFC Championship game won't put too much of a strain on my travel plans.

According to Truck Camper Magazine, there will be other manufacturers there as well, including Phoenix, Northstar, Northern Lite, and Adventurer/ Eagle Cap. I'm pretty much decided on going with FWC, but it will be neat to see some other cool truck campers.

Hopefully, this trip will answer my remaining questions on how to equip my camper when I order it. I'll try to post some pics on here when I get back.

Last, I was looking for some transportation options from the airport to the convention center in Denver. A cab is out of the question. They want $51 one way! It also looks like there isn't a good public transportation option. It seems like a car rental is my best choice. Any other suggestions on how to get to the expo from the airport?

Texan76 said:
I am planning on attending the Sportsman Expo in Denver this weekend. I talked to Chris at Rocky Mountain FWC and he stated that they will have a few on display. I can only make it in on Sunday, which is the last day, so hopefully the AFC Championship game won't put too much of a strain on my travel plans.

Last, I was looking for some transportation options from the airport to the convention center in Denver. A cab is out of the question. They want $51 one way! It also looks like there isn't a good public transportation option. It seems like a car rental is my best choice. Any other suggestions on how to get to the expo from the airport?
i have used the supershuttle from DEN to down town. Just looked and it is $22.00 one way. you can find discount coupons and cheaper if you buy round trip ticket. It is a long way the Denver airport from downtown.

Sweet, forgot all about super shuttle. I used them several years ago.

RTD Skyride bus service to and from downtown is $11.00 one way.
Here is a link: http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyride.shtml

Chris, the local dealer, is a great resource and a great guy. My purchase experience from him was excellent!
And yes, it seems like DIA is halfway to Kansas.

rotti said:
RTD Skyride bus service to and from downtown is $11.00 one way.
Here is a link: http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyride.shtml

Chris, the local dealer, is a great resource and a great guy. My purchase experience from him was excellent!
And yes, it seems like DIA is halfway to Kansas.
Is that a straight shot or do you have to hop on different busses?

No personal experience but it should be the same bus all the way to downtown.
From the link:

"If you need to check route and schedule information, view maps, or plan your SkyRide trip while at DIA, visit the SkyRide sales counter located in the ground transportation area on the west side of the terminal on level 5, inside door 506."

Texan...AF bus is an express, 3 stops between DIA and Market St Station. From there take the 16th St mall free shuttle to California St and walk 2 blocks south to the convention center.Mall shuttles run continuously, just minutes apart, and California is about a 5 minute or less ride from Market Street Station. It's how I go downtown all the time. Bus takes exact change, but RTD has a booth in the main teminal at DIA where you can buy tickets. It's on the 5th level, west side. Good luck, will be at the show myself on Thursday talking to the FWC folks.

Thanks BM. Hopefully it will be a smooth trip. Can't wait to actually see one of these campers in person. I kind of feel like a kid getting ready to go to the toy store. Lol!

Hi Texan,

I'm very late to the 'party', and the others have shared what works best for them. following is my opinion.

In your late 30's your probably still working which means most of your camping/exploring will take place within a 250 mile radius of home with one or two long trips per year to mountains of Colorado or New Mexico. You've owned a full-size camper so you know the trade-offs. The FWC or ATC has many more due to its size. With you both at 6 foot plus you will be living outside most of the time in the heat, humidity, and bugs (summertime). because the camper is not big enough inside to "live" in.

It's hot in Calif in the summer too (actually it's about 75* today) so most of our camping is done in the fall, winter, and spring ...except for the beaches in summer....IF you can get a reservation as they are booked 6 months in advance .

Anyway, back on topic", Build your shell or camper for the type of camping you will be doing MOST of the time...NOT one or two weeks a year. Definitely get a generator which will charge your batteries and run the A/C while boondocking.

Battery draw will be the highest with furnace blower and the compressor refigerator. I believe the Waco uses 7.5 amps at start up and 2-4 amps running. You will only need the furnace after the sun sets. Since you will have two batteries they should last the 10 hours per day your not running the generator. You might consider a 100 watt panel on the roof for the cooler days when the A/C is not needed as the sound of the generator will destroy the peace of camping experience.

There is NO perfect rig as our applications change with age. Once upon a time I couldn't have managed without the motorhome (wife, 4- kids and the dog and the boat). Now at 70 I'm perfectly happy with the Eagle and my hiking boots.

Good camping with whatever you choose.

The Denver show helped me narrow down what I want.

I'm considering a shell, but havent ruled out the full model. I can equip the shell with everything ill need, minus two things. One is sink/ water, the other is a shore power plug to charge the batteries. As we have discussed, Jim, I feel the sink and drain will not be too big of an issue to handle myself, thanks to your direction. But the shore power charger is not so easy. I feel I will need it, as I like to camp under shade. Plus, with cloud cover, etc., I want a backup to solar. Since FWC does not offer the battery charger and shore cable on a shell, I'm not sure what to do. I'm stupid when it comes to electrical. I'm decent mechanically, but not electrically.

If I could solve to the shore power charger issue, I will be set to get a shell.

Texan76 said:
The Denver show helped me narrow down what I want.

I'm considering a shell, but havent ruled out the full model. I can equip the shell with everything ill need, minus two things. One is sink/ water, the other is a shore power plug to charge the batteries. As we have discussed, Jim, I feel the sink and drain will not be too big of an issue to handle myself, thanks to your direction. But the shore power charger is not so easy. I feel I will need it, as I like to camp under shade. Plus, with cloud cover, etc., I want a backup to solar. Since FWC does not offer the battery charger and shore cable on a shell, I'm not sure what to do. I'm stupid when it comes to electrical. I'm decent mechanically, but not electrically.

If I could solve to the shore power charger issue, I will be set to get a shell.
If you are not comfortable with electric, time to pay someone to do it. I added the 110v plug to my shell, not that hard but you do need to brace where you install the plug. You will also need a 110v breaker and enclosure. And a convertor if you want. I will be installing a smart charger and not the convertor. 110v plugs are very straight forward to wire.

You could buy the parts and hire some one to do the wiring. If you can do the install of the parts, it should not be to expensive to find some one to do the wiring. Sink and water is also not to hard to install.

If cutting a hole in the side of the camper is not your thing you will be money and frustration ahead by buying a camper with what you want installed.

Texan,

When you purchase the 12 volt auxiliary battery system (from FWC) a trickle charger is installed with the system. Batteries are charged by 'driving' or through 'solar'.

Using the A/C I would install a 'shore power' system .IOTA seems to be the system most mentioned in the Forum. Phone IOTA ; http://www.iotaengineering.com/power.htm and see if they have a dealer in your area. Then go talk with them. They will be able to quote a price and install it. (Still cheaper than buying a full camper).

Boat dealers are another installation resource as many service and install these systems.

Jim

Well, I've researched and analyzed all data and have come to a crossroads in the decision for my camper purchase. I have a decision to make, and any opinions you have are welcome.

I'm able to get a loan through my credit union for the camper by refinancing equity in one of my automobiles, but it is not near the amount needed for a full featured camper. I have to decide whether to wait a little while and save up for the fully loaded hawk, or get it sooner by ordering a shell.

I could "get by" with a shell, and probably enjoy it, and do upgrades as I get the cash. But will I kick myself in the butt for not waiting about a year and getting the full featured model?

I have some good ideas for a shell, but it will never be as nice or as equipped as a full model from the factory.

Not sure which path to take. I want to get out camping like yesterday, but need to make a smart decision.

If I were to wait and go full Hawk, I'd get side dinette, compressor fridge, furnace, a/c, hot water, awning, dual batteries, jack brackets, solar plug, fantastic fan. It would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $19-20k.

With shell, I'd get furnace, battery, solar plug, a/c, jack brackets, fantastic fan. Somewhere around $11k. I could get started with that, throw some camp chairs and a cooler in there. Down the road I could add a portable fridge and get some seats and cabinet built, but would be without built in water tank, hot water, sink, or stove. I know there's ways around those, but will I get tired of carrying water jugs, heating water on a camp stove, showering with a solar shower, and washing dishes in a pan?

Decisions, decisions.

Try a used one and see how it goes. Your upfront cost will be much lower and your depreciation will be much less. From what I have seen the banks are not going to value a used FWC at the same value the market does, so save some cash and be ready to track one down. You can always "remodel and modify" once you get it. Anything older than 10 years tends to be a little shaky in the camper market, but FWC's easily have a hassle free first 10 years. Make it happen and you will never look back!

Back
Top Bottom