HOW MANY NIGHTS DID YOU CAMP IN 2016?

Looks like it's 88 for me.

My annual Florida backcountry trip gave me 24 nights and a spring trip West to the Great Basin (via Texas) gave me 48 more.

I thought I would be adding another 45 to 60 in the Fall with a second trip out West. But then we had a home-improvement project run into scheduling delays and had unexpected elder-care challenges that prevented any long trips.

We did get to the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival for four nights in August and we had five in Algonquin Park (Ontario) in September.

I nearly went crazy being unable to travel in my favorite travel month of October but managed to get a seven-night 'fix' in November to follow the travels of my g-g-grandfather's Civil War unit.

Wow. Due to having spine surgery/rehab this year, I didn't get much winter camping in (none) this year from last November until April this spring when I was cleared to go play! Since then I have averaged between 7-14 days a month until this November when the weather and some other commitments stopped me cold :p for now. So let's say that I averaged about 10 days a month for 50 or so days this year so far. Since I'm retired, I try to be out WTWing about half of each month or an average of 10-14 days. I'll try to keep track of the exact number of days this year!

Smoke

I hadn't really thought about it till this came up. Surprisingly about 30 I think. Most of these since we got the new truck in Aug. I've camped at least once a week since the 1st of Nov. Camper is off the truck right now. Next planned trip is in late January.

January 1 to June 30 between 160-170 nights, with the remaining nights in hotels. We moved into our new home in Port Angeles July 1 and are looking forward to more adventures in 2017 :D
Cheers!

I see no replies to my mentioning trip Journal... so do you keep Journal of just mark a calendar?

My wife keeps a trip journal but having only four big trips makes counting easy. We usually leave on a Sunday after the weekend crowds and if we return on a Sunday then the trip is 28 nights or 35, etc. If we return on a Monday the trip is 29 nights, etc. The purpose of the journal is for any future return trip (good camp sites, bad roads, etc.). If we leave on Sunday and return on Sunday, is the trip 28 days or 29 days (?) and so we count nights. When we crossed the border with Canada, we were asked how many days and we answered with our night count which they accepted. The "quest" is to hit 183 nights in a calendar year (187 days?).

No journal, just a small notepad with stats when we start each day. We also have tracks on our IPad, GPS, and InReach but haven't spent any time looking at them. Hmm... a new winter project.
Cheers

We also keep a journal with a lot of info.
Times,places,animal sightings,great food we have eaten,and where.,gas stops/amount,any truck info I might need in the future,campgroungs/site#.
So much to enter.
Helps when planing a return trip.
Also a daily journal on our non camper trips,especially to Spain.
Great way to relive the trip.
Frank

38 nights....still wish I did more. ImageUploadedByWander The West1481693684.709542.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

What with spouse's knee surgery, needed house repairs and painting and visits from family, our camping was limited to a 3 week trip to Utah in the fall. I did use the camper to live in a couple of weeks while helping a friend build a wilderness cabin in the north woods (Superior National Forest) and also to attend the North House Folk School wooden boat show- I guess those count as camping. All told about 35 nights I figure. We should (hope to) do much better next summer.

Definitely a journal. I can feel the brain cells dying daily and want something to refresh my memory when I can no longer get out there. But I do like the idea of keeping a calendar in the rig, too. Simpler to check. And I do a blog after most trips, also. All part of the experience.

I keep a little spreadsheet of each trip: dates, places, # of nights, highlights, people I meet, etc. I'm going to try and remember to start recording the GPS coordinates of these places so that I can easily revisit them and share them with others who are interested.

If I remember, I fire up the handheld GPS & drop a waypoint at each campsite named by date & trip. Garmin remembers better than I do. ;)

Paul

Back
Top Bottom