How many nights do you spend in your rig?

Ramblinman

Thought it might be interesting to see how many nights a year users on this site use their truck campers.

Also of interest is what your availability is to get out and actually use the camper.

This said, please tell us if you are:

1. Retired
2. Semi Retired
3. Working

.... and any other info you think is would be interesting.

I have used my camper 44 nights this year and might get a couple more in for skiing. I use my Hawk for mostly Hunting and then camping with the Mrs.

Working full time in a government job that gives me 5 weeks off and allows me to bank my overtime and holidays in lieu of pay, gives me considerable time off. I feel lucky that way.

Retired its a good thing.

Did 30 nights last year. Most trips a week or less, amazing how busy you can be retired. If we get some more dry weather will do north coast and add more days to this year.

Work full time in medical sales. We got about 35 days in 2013 but will be in the low 20's this year. We've had to cancel two week long trips because of parents-in-law's health issues. Planning next year to be different.

My Bobcat was completed December 2009 and it's first use was March 2010. Since than we have logged about 150 nights.
Some seasons more some less.
This year was one of the less used with only 21 so far.

Hope maybe to get back to Denali in late Aug of 2015.
We just play it mostly by ear.
When you are retired it sure makes it easy to do longer trips.
Frank

Retired, 161 travel days in 2014 with 155 camper nights (in-laws otherwise), cost $9,000 for campgrounds and gasoline. We rarely eat out so the food cost is the same as at home and we did not miss having a refrigerator (also retired from tent camping for many years). Drove 16,000 miles on four trips ranging from 21 days to 66 days each. Cheapest campgrounds: North Dakota National Grasslands at $5 per night with no water and Great Basin NP in the fall at $6/night with no water. Most expensive campgrounds: California at $35 and Alabama at $33 (one red state and one blue state). No water tank in the camper either which was an advantage in Colorado with 33 consecutive nights in NF campgrounds over 8,800 feet altitude and no hose threads on any water source (used the furnace and fleece sleeping bag liners most of July and August). Traveled coast to coast day hiking only (keeps my weight and blood pressure down and is easy on the wallet). My wife and I can spend 66 consecutive nights together in a Granby (6'x12') and still smile fondly at each other at home. Over 3,000 pictures taken with more of the large mid-October breakers on the Pacific coast than any other (folks from Iowa do not get to see an 18' breaker hit a sea stack less than 100 yards away very often). Most memorable view: pelicans surfing the breakers instead of surfboards.

I am on 42 nights in my camper. FIshing, hunting, and running keeps us on the go. I work full time for a feed mill.

iowahiker said:
Retired, 161 travel days in 2014 with 155 camper nights (in-laws otherwise), cost $9,000 for campgrounds and gasoline. We rarely eat out so the food cost is the same as at home and we did not miss having a refrigerator (also retired from tent camping for many years). Drove 16,000 miles on four trips ranging from 21 days to 66 days each. Cheapest campgrounds: North Dakota National Grasslands at $5 per night with no water and Great Basin NP in the fall at $6/night with no water. Most expensive campgrounds: California at $35 and Alabama at $33 (one red state and one blue state). No water tank in the camper either which was an advantage in Colorado with 33 consecutive nights in NF campgrounds over 8,800 feet altitude and no hose threads on any water source (used the furnace and fleece sleeping bag liners most of July and August). Traveled coast to coast day hiking only (keeps my weight and blood pressure down and is easy on the wallet). My wife and I can spend 66 consecutive nights together in a Granby (6'x12') and still smile fondly at each other at home. Over 3,000 pictures taken with more of the large mid-October breakers on the Pacific coast than any other (folks from Iowa do not get to see an 18' breaker hit a sea stack less than 100 yards away very often). Most memorable view: pelicans surfing the breakers instead of surfboards.
Iowahiker, you need a travel blog. I would follow.

So far this year I have about 100 nights in my camper.

I work seasonal jobs, Forest Service in the summer and ski resort in the winter. Gives me about 3 months of pure travel time a year.

billharr said:
...amazing how busy you can be retired. ...
This is true! We are retired and hardly got any camping done in the past summer. Volunteer commitments, weather, house maintenance and other things conspired to limit our camping. The year before was our first full year with the camper and we got in about 5 shorter trips (3-5 days each) and a month long cross-country trip. We have made a pledge to each other to do more camping next year.

craig333 said:
Work full time sorta, if they let me. I don't count my nights. I'd have to say "not enough" :)
I'm in the don't count and not enough catagory too. ;)

I work full time in natural resource mgt. Depending on the field season demands I do better some year than others. Using an October to October year my longest time out this year was 8 nights. after that it's weekends here and there. Luckily I usually work 10-12 hour days so my weekends are 3 day/night affairs.

I work full time. So far, I've spent 28 nights in my Grandby...it's five months old.

Joanne

Work full time! Used to have a company van, & pick-up was used for camper only . Changed jobs few months back, took off camper (bad move) Have 22 or so days in. Many a night in ski area parking lots getting the good before the masses. Camper will go back on in the next 30 days. It's been about 3 weeks since we have been out under the Stars. Shooting for more days in 2015.

Have had our Ocelot one year. Work full time (lot's of OT also), bought a house and moved this summer, logged 47 days in the camper. Would like to keep it around 60 whilst working and when retired - who knows!

Waay fewer than I have in the past. 43 nights. Family stuff has really cut my camping time. Needs must when the devil drives.

Blogging... I considered it but the screen time spent on WTW and organizing/labeling the pictures is enough. WTW gets only my best pictures which are generally panoramic, small views are less interesting. Largest loss is pixels/detail with the compression upload but it saves a lot of storage space, blogs have better picture resolution. Also, pictures in the WTW data base could help people decide where to travel given the search capability while a blog tends to be a one time read. Back on topic, we tent camped 40-50 nights per year before getting our camper, always day hiking.

Back
Top Bottom