How much wilderness protection is too much?

I nominate 2 of the persons whom became administrators here. After reading this thread, I question my recommendation.

I nominate 2 of the persons whom became administrators here. After reading this thread, I question my recommendation.

Can't un-ring a bell, hoss...
cool.gif

I've attended a few meetings smoke. Unfortunately taking a day off to travel 500 miles to attend a meeting just isn't practical for most of us.

I thought about this alot at work today. I had about six pages of crap to inject into the conversation. Then I realized, I can do that anywhere, wtw is one of the few places I can come that is relatively free from political conversation.

That said, I'll just interject one thing. The OP was talking about a work project. I personally look at those on their own merits. I could care less if the Sierra Club has a good project. If the "project" looked at on its own merits warrants support I'll support it with my labor. I hope that an environmentalist could do the same for a project by the friends of the rubicon intended to combat erosion. Ignore the sponsors and see project for the good that it does.

Nice one:
<snip> I'll just interject one thing. The OP was talking about a work project. I personally look at those on their own merits. I could care less if the Sierra Club has a good project. If the "project" looked at on its own merits warrants support I'll support it with my labor. I hope that an environmentalist could do the same for a project by the friends of the rubicon intended to combat erosion. Ignore the sponsors and see project for the good that it does.

This discussion was split from another thread and moved to a more appropriate location.
What percentage of public lands need to be wilderness?[/quote]
We get out in our camper about 25 times a year, often in National Forest and BLM areas. After about eight years we have barely scratched the surface of places to explore. I doubt that I could ever possibly go everywhere that is open to access. I don't have an answer to your question. Currently about 2.7% of the contiguous 48 states are designated wilderness. IMO, the amount of land protected as wilderness is not a concern.
[/quote]

Ted, keep in mind thats for US as a whole (if its correct, seems low to me) but you have many eastern states with little or no public lands and out west you have states like Nevada where over 90% of the land is public lands (and yes I'm including military lands).

What percentage of public lands need to be wilderness?
We get out in our camper about 25 times a year, often in National Forest and BLM areas. After about eight years we have barely scratched the surface of places to explore. I doubt that I could ever possibly go everywhere that is open to access. I don't have an answer to your question. Currently about 2.7% of the contiguous 48 states are designated wilderness. IMO, the amount of land protected as wilderness is not a concern.
[/quote]

Ted, keep in mind thats for US as a whole (if its correct, seems low to me) but you have many eastern states with little or no public lands and out west you have states like Nevada where over 90% of the land is public lands (and yes I'm including military lands).
[/quote]

Guys

True we in the west are lucky, we have lot's of land to play in and we will never see it all, and I feel ever so lucky I don't live in the east where you have to look to find places to play:LOL:, but an open field or a kops (that's spelled wrong-bunch) of trees anywhere can be an adventure. As I get older, and can not backpack, let alone walk 30 miles a day anymore, I'm so glad I can still drive my truck to some spot , pop a beer and see only " lope" playing and no people! I worked/played in NE Ca/NW Nevada for over 30 years and every time out, now that I've retired I see and hear new things-some good and some bad! And I too have thought about this thread and have pages of thought I want to add to the discussion about the who's, wheres, whats and politics of land use and this is a good site to do it, and in return I get hear other views, thoughts and feelings, that's what we are supposed to do-live and learn and maybe that's why I follow and enjoy this site-where I get to bs about my vast experience and impress you all with my wisdom and in turn, I get to listen to you guys spew you bs. Enough of this, whens the next rally-I'm ready to play in the woods and get dirty:cool:! and to make sure my any means, that we have some where to go and play!

Smoke

Hey Smoke, I'm ready. Camper is itching to get out and see some country. Better go now before fuel prices skyrocket even more.

Ding, Ding. I shant repeat that error. Good bye.

Oh, I must have been drunk last night. I apologize for my behavior.

In a nutshell, less than 100 years ago, the west was roamed by grizzlies and wolves, the world population was 1/7th of what it is today. Today, 98.8% of the Redwood forests are gone, the grizzlies and wolves are gone from most states, world population is 7 billion, will double in 17 years. Top that off, as of 2009, the US Forest Service (not to mention BLM or NPS) has 388,000 miles of roads. Anybody have a problem with setting aside a tiny percentage of 1% of the USA from wheeled transport?

Gene, it would be great if you could provide us with references to the following information. Really powerful stuff...

In a nutshell, less than 100 years ago, the west was roamed by grizzlies and wolves, the world population was 1/7th of what it is today. Today, 98.8% of the Redwood forests are gone, the grizzlies and wolves are gone from most states, world population is 7 billion, will double in 17 years. Top that off, as of 2009, the US Forest Service (not to mention BLM or NPS) has 388,000 miles of roads. Anybody have a problem with setting aside a tiny percentage of 1% of the USA from wheeled transport?

Maybe this topic/thread can die soon...I hope.
While this topic has a right to exist, it doesn't serve a useful purpose. No useful purpose because people almost never change their minds about hot-button issues like this based on arguments.
But when one person posts their opinion it's hard for some people (like me) to ignore it if they feel strongly about it. And yet it's pointless to respond because I'm not going to change anyone's views this way.
That's because the opinions were formed based on values, not a rational assessment of the facts. "Facts" are presented to support the opinions, but the opinions came before the facts.

Much better if we can just discuss subjects that aren't based on fundamental values...such as which Wave...or tires...or water containers...or refrigerators. Or discuss our latest destinations without complaining about lack of access or too much access. ;)

IMHO. :)

for everyone.
with the gas prices on the up with no down i think
there will be more peace and quite in YOUR special outback spot! :D
drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,lqhikers

Back
Top Bottom