How not to use a tow strap.

Could have been a lot worse.

It amazed me how many years, and recent years, Chevy/GMC depicted their trucks yanking stumps, logs, etc, with a length of chain. Well, I do it, under some circumstances, but I'd have thought a major manufacturer would refrain from depicting dangerous stuff like that. Just in the last few months I've seen similar commercials showing a tow strap w/out metal ends for stump-pulling.

Foy

Just cause you have a nice shinny new truck and a tow strap doesn't mean you know how to use them right :D ! Maybe no one told him what those hooks that stuck through the bumper were used for? Well life is supposed to be a learning experience-maybe he learned something :p! Next lesson "what's the difference between a tow rope and a tow strap?"-and how many people try to use them like they are the same thing :cautious: .

Smoke

I suspect he has new respect for proper tow points now. Sad part is a gentle pull would probably have been enough. I pulled my brothers bumper off once. I was young and he put the strap on. If I'm yanking someone they get to put the strap on, but I'll still decline if they do something like that.

OK, I'll bite. What is the difference between a tow rope and a tow strap.

I have never needed to tow a car but have pulled people who slid off the road in the snow. I used a tow strap . I have straps that have metal hooks and straps that have sewn loops. The straps are not stretchy. Was I doing it correctly?

Nylon stretches much more than polyester.
So use:
Nylon for recovery.
Polyester for tow.

We launched a logging chain into the front piece of the hood of a 1973 K-5 Blazer trying to snatch a blowdown off of the trail back in 1974. It snapped neatly right where the hook attached back to the chain on the tree end. It smashed the hood but fortunately that caused the missle (chain) to deflect upwards just enough to barely catch the top of the windshield, shattering it, too. If not for its trajectory impacting the hood first, that thing could have come through the windshield like a hot knife through butter, with bad outcomes spread among the dumb hippies in the truck.

Foy

If you're morbid you can find pics of people who didn't survive. Same rules as winching, keep the spectators well away.

I've cut a couple of straps trying to help out people who don't have proper attach points. Not only being costly it's dangerous. Now if they don't have a strong attach point I just wish them luck and help them out in some other way.

Back
Top Bottom