How To Change A Vw Fan Belt (Video)

Stan@FourWheel

How to change a VW belt in 5 seconds.

Wish I knew this trick when I used to have my VW Van (laughs)

Don't forget to wear your safety goggles !

(it is a quick video, only 1min 8 seconds)

Hehe. For some reason I already knew what he was gonna do before I even watched it.

For some reason though, I like my fingers attached to my hand rather than laying in my cooling tin.

Dangerous. Don't do it!

From experience at Bayliss Machine and Welding Company (look it up), flipping belts off and on pulleys was part of working with machinery a 100 years ago but is especially a bad idea when using "V" belts. People continue to do this, thinking they are clever. Early posters have the right idea about finger shortening. A "V" belt will remove a hand just as quickly as a finger. It is a fair prediction that the one video will be responsible for a number of serious injuries, unless somehow people are warned, which is what I am hoping to accomplish here.

Interesting images from the internet are posted herewith to show where the idea came from. I hope readers will enjoy them. Modern "V" belts and grooved flat belts are nothing like flat belts from many years ago. For one thing, the old flat belts were slow and loose. But they were dangerous too.

John D

Attachments

• Belt driven machine shop.jpg
    Belt driven machine shop.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 138
  • belts4567.jpg
    belts4567.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 139
Did it for years on my old '68 and have the thumbs to prove it.

So, do you give it 2 thumbs up? And I do mean 2 thumbs. :)

I notice his hands don't enter the danger zone. Safety glasses seem like a good idea in case the screw driver gets thrown awry.

Hey I jumped out of airplanes too. There's no accounting for the depths of my idiocy. Older and more afraid these days.

Back
Top Bottom