How To Tell Fwc Models Apart?

Buckshot62

Advanced Member
Can anyone tell me how to distinguish the different models by looking at pics?Found one about 350 miles away but the owner doesnt know whether it is a hawk or fleet.Barely hangs over a short bed 1996 ford.The owner says it is 51' wide at the lower rear end.

Buck,
It's usually easy for us to tell the two apart if we can see pics, since it sounds impossible to see pics is this case I'd look for the amount of side overhang of the camper. A Fleet should fit about flush with the sides of a full size truck, while the Hawk should have about a 6" overhang over the sides of the bed. Hopefully Thomas T will join in with pics of his fleet on his new Tundra.

Took a chance and drove 350 miles to look at it.Got lucky -It was a fleet.$200.00 later it was mine!I also noticed a few things that appear to me to be different between a hawk and a fleet,someone correct me if i am wrong.
1. 37" wide at base on the front of camper
2.51-3/8 " across bottom rear.
3.78-5/8 " across the top rear of camper.
4.The heater exhaust is horizontal on a fleet and vertical on a hawk.
Maybe this will help someone who is dealing with a person that doesnt know what he has.
Wes

I have one pic but dont know how to put it on here.If someone would explain the "kiss" method to me i'll try.Too old to be computer literate!

Sheeesh! And I thought I held the record (450.00 for an old Grandby). Congratulations!

Dave

P.S. I assume it's a project? Mine has issues but isn't too bad.

For 200.00 it has a few issues!Replaced one of the vent covers(It has two and both have the fans in them)Back door was falling apart(Took it off and it fell apart apart).A hand ful of wood screws and half a day later it works good as new.We are now replacing the front lift panels.Hopefully next week we will take our first camping trip in it.

With DD'S help and guidance maybe now I can post pics.Here goes the first attempt:

Attachments

• phpYRMLIvPM.jpg
    phpYRMLIvPM.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 159
Hey Buck,

Nice score! I just picked up a fleet for $600 and was feeling pretty good till I saw yours at $200, great deal. I am about to attempt to replace front and rear lift panels on my fleet. Any advice and pics from your project would be very helpful.

Nice work getting a great deal!

Rich

Our front lift panels were shot when we bought it.A P.O. must have replaced them.they were made out of particle board and the hinges are stainless steel (with no springs).We used 5.2mm birch plywood.It was a pain to try and use the old panels as a pattern.Pic of the old panels(white).Coated the new panels with minwax oak stain and polyurethane in one.Our panels have sliding latches riveted to the upper panelsthat extend down over the lower panel to lock in place.Haven't taken pics of the new panels yet.Don't believe mine are anywhere near stock.

Attachments

• phpdoIdD7PM.jpg
    phpdoIdD7PM.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom