How well do F150s with Eco Boost 3.5 or 2.7 do with pop-up camper?

Missing Link

I would like to hear from WTW members who own F150s with either the Eco Boost 3.5 or 2.7 motors. What kind of mileage are you getting? Does the motor handle the camper weight well? Overall, how satisfied are you with the truck/camper combo? Thanks.

I moved from a gutless Tacoma V6 w/ Eagle to an F150 with the 3.5 EB and Hawk and I love the combo. Plenty of power even when fully loaded. I have the FX4 w/ 3.31 rear gearing and I get 18-20 without the camper and 14-15 fully loaded with water, provisions, toys, etc.

bnHRZDB.jpg

Kind of cool how the body line on F150 drivers door is kind of a mirror image of the Hawk. They look good together.

Glad to hear it has the power you need, especially with 3.31:1 gearing.

In 2013 I bought a new F150 XLT with a 3.5 EB and an 8 foot bed. I had been looking and thinking about an FWC for years before pulling the trigger in 2015 (the year I retired) for a mostly loaded Grandby. Despite my research, the five months between the FWC order and delivery was somewhat of a roller coaster in that I had moments of concerns as to how the F150 would handle the job of hauling the Grandby.

It's been about 16 months and over15000 miles later and I can honestly say I'm really happy with both the truck and camper. I live just north of San Francisco and so far my Golden Retriever and I taken two trips to Montana and Idaho, twice to southern Utah and Northern Arizona, Death Valley, Yosemite, down the coast of California, ghost towns in Nevada and several trips steelhead fishing in Northern California. Occasionally the wife goes too, but she's still working so I can live on the road in opulent FWC style ;)

During these trips I have had zero problems with the systems of the truck and the handling, power and braking have all been tested "in the field" and all performed exceptionally well.

As for gas mileage, my average in all the above trips was 13.9 mpg and I'm fine with it. I was just too concerned with gas mileage until I read a post by Park who basically said "Gas mileage be darned. I just fill it up and go" and I adopted that philosophy which increased my level of happiness because there's not much I can do about it at this point. Just heading down the road with the dog next to me and heading to the next adventure is a great thing.

Finally I should mention that I have E rated tires and Firestone Airbags both of which I feel are essential. I don't tow or haul stuff on the top and I try my best to stay as light as possible.

I hope this helps.

Ron

ImageUploadedByWander The West1480205338.401990.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1480205395.896239.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWander The West1480205283.198812.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWander The West1480205283.198812.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 90

Back
Top Bottom