Howdy - Newbie with an old Grandby

Swath

I'm not new to the camper, just this forum.

I have an 80 Grandby I have been camping in for 10 years or so. It's mounted in my 84 F-250.

I just now found this forum and love all the tips I'm finding.

I'll post up some pics, the the truck and camper are a little rough looking but they do get used a lot.

On the way up to the top of Storm Mountain West of Loveland Colorado.
IMGP0200.jpg

At the top of Storm Mountain.
IMGP0226.jpg

Sheesh, had to come back and edit my spelling of Grandby, you would think I would know how to spell it after owning this sucker for all these years.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the pics of your hard-working rig. Someone is sure to want to know about how those external tie-downs have worked out, so I'll ask for them;)

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the pics of your hard-working rig. Someone is sure to want to know about how those external tie-downs have worked out, so I'll ask for them;)

The tiedowns work fine, I don't do hard core trails with this thing although that was my original intent.

I used angle iron underneath on the outside and backed it up on the inside with flat stock. When the going gets a little rough and especially climbing steep rocky stuff I worry a bit and it does move around a bit. I'm sure I would be better off bolting it to the floor like it is supposed to be. What can I say, it hasn't fallen off yet.

I flat tow my Sami to the trails.

headingout-1.jpg

Originally I was going to use the truck/camper combo to conquer as many of the 4WD pass trails in Colorado as possible. I did a number of em but I decided it was just too much, not necessarily for the camper but for the full size rig. Flat towing that Sami is working out great for me.

I'm not sure how other folks get along with these things. My biggest gripe has been the timely pack and unpack process I have to go through at each camp site. I guess I have not learned how to pack light enough.

Campin in Utah:

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

Moab019.jpg

Moab022.jpg

Moab089.jpg

Moab104.jpg

Looks like I should have shrunk some of those pictures down a little.

Colorado Campin:

campin4.jpg

crookedtreecamp7.jpg

flyfishin.jpg

hughjrandfriend.jpg

taylorparkcamp.jpg

Roughroad.jpg

Thanks for the welcome fellers.

My son-in-law spent some time campin with me in Utah last month.

He started counting up all the red neck repairs I have done to the camper, I guess he was bored.

Hey, they function, wha-da-ya want for a 20 something year old camper.

1. A screw down latch thing to push the door tight when closed for traveling.
2. A bungee for holding the door open while in camp.
3. A screen door tensioner for holding up that sagging door.
4. A screw that holds the propane door closed cause the latch broke.
5. An old ruler to wedge the propane tank tight in it's place.
6. A table post holder screwed onto the bottom of the wood "sink lid/cutting board" to provide a nice little table when I don't need the big table.
7. A large reinforced cardboard box slid in to the opening I made by cutting out the area under the stove. (Never enough storage in these things)
8. Exterior camper tie downs.
9. A home made screw on awning.
10. A set of wood posts to hold up the front of the roof cause the original thing rotted out.
11. Plenty O tape on the cracked skirting.
12. Old printer stand used as the water jug holder over the sink.
13. Ice box full of dry goods cause it really sucks as a cooler.
I'm sure there is more....

I love the thing, cozy little cabin on wheels. Has slept 4 on numerous occasions, keeps us warm and dry.

Heater and stove still work perfectly. I make at least two yearly 9 day camping trips and lots of long weekend camping trips. Cost me $900 10 years ago, I think I have gotten my money's worth out of it. Combined with the $2600 truck I bought in 93 I have no complaints about the cost of my camping setup and I would venture to guess it gets used more than some folks setups costing a lot more.

For the long trips, there is never enough water. Never enough ice. And way too much stuff crammed into the camper while driving.

I just bought a trailer I am going to convert to haul the Sami and build a box on the front to serve as my storage spot for all that outdoor stuff I have been carrying in the camper. I'm excited about getting this trailer all set up. As a matter of fact, it was researching expedition type trailers that led me to this forum.

The Sami in tow fixed one of my major complaints about this type of camper. I felt as though it was like tossing out a huge anchor when you set up camp, you can't drive anywhere to even do a light exploration without a major PIA. Now I just hop in the Sami and go poke around. Slowly but surely I am getting closer to my ideal camping outfit. The trailed looks to be a major part of the puzzle. After the trailer I want to convert my truck to a flatbed and bolt this camper down to that. Actually I keep an eye on craigs list for my next new old FWC. Maybe I will actually have a fridge in the next one, wouldn't that be a luxury!

I have been reading and enjoying the stories of Gary and Monica Wescott for years, before they used the FWC. I like their new rig but I was disappointed that they moved on to a rig that is way out of my price range. Of course, even the extensive mods they performed on Turtle IV are beyond my ability to keep up with. I believe in KISS, and I believe in the capabilities and talents of Mr. Murphy.

I look forward to scrounging around this forum looking for little nuggets of gold.

Yeah, gary and monika are hard to keep up with. Must be nice having corporate sponsors:rolleyes:

Nice rig and truck. Towing my Jeep was a major consideration when i got my fwc. I do my share of trail fixes on the camper, I just usually don't mention them :)

Biggest I"ve run into so far is, when I dont tow the Jeep I'm still tempted to see whats down that road. I'm actually gaining a lot more confidence in my rig to do what I'd normally do with the jeep. Nothing hardcore of course.

Was thinking about doing barney riley this weekend. Wondering if I could leave the Jeep home and just drive the truck. Probably but after looking at the pics I think its more than I want to do with truck. Too bad, might be nice camping at the end by the river.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=9&f=00&tt=14&bt=1&bts=0&st=31&zu=http%3A//www.californiajeeper.com/barney/review.htm

Yeah, gary and monika are hard to keep up with. Must be nice having corporate sponsors:rolleyes:

Nice rig and truck. Towing my Jeep was a major consideration when i got my fwc. I do my share of trail fixes on the camper, I just usually don't mention them :)

Biggest I"ve run into so far is, when I dont tow the Jeep I'm still tempted to see whats down that road. I'm actually gaining a lot more confidence in my rig to do what I'd normally do with the jeep. Nothing hardcore of course.

Was thinking about doing barney riley this weekend. Wondering if I could leave the Jeep home and just drive the truck. Probably but after looking at the pics I think its more than I want to do with truck. Too bad, might be nice camping at the end by the river.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=9&f=00&tt=14&bt=1&bts=0&st=31&zu=http%3A//www.californiajeeper.com/barney/review.htm

I have done the same, poke my nose into a trail that keeps getting tighter and steeper and not wanting to turn around. And, with just the truck and camper a feller can do trails without having to backtrack.

I will never have the "perfect" setup. There is no such thing. But it is sure fun chasing it.

My truck looks like crap, keeps people from wanting to steal it :D. Underneath is a fresh built 460, rebuilt trans, xfer case, both axles, 4.10 gears, 4 speed manual, power lock in the rear. I can get 11mpg empty highway, 9 fully loaded. It is paid for so I don't mind the gas bill.

I'd love to get out to California some day to do a few trails.

Getting ready here, no time for a long post, sorry.

Love the camper/truck/sami combo. Although fragile little beasts, those samis go anywhere... Had one years ago. Lots of fun.

Getting ready here, no time for a long post, sorry.

Love the camper/truck/sami combo. Although fragile little beasts, those samis go anywhere... Had one years ago. Lots of fun.

Working out great so far, I have not found the Sami to be fragile and I have pushed it a bit for a couple of years now. Correct application of the skinny pedal can make a difference. I beefed up the front axles with birfield rings, low gears in the xfer case (6.5:1), locker in the rear, Harley Davidson Carb, skid plate, rocker guards, 32x9.50 SS TSLs. It's a great little rig, I never would have believed I would have built one of these. I had two old style Broncos, a 72 and a 74 and for a long time held a firm belief that the only good off road rigs were Jeeps, Scouts, Broncos, and the FJ 40s. Today there are a number of great smaller rigs that perform very well off road. No matter which though, they require a serious addition of beef.

I'm eager to get my trailer built and put it to use, it's my current focus.

Swath,

We have a guy in our 4x4 club who's a Sami nut. Both him and his wife have one. They're both set up well for off road and I've been impressed by what they can do.
I broke a drive shaft at TDS this year and got towed back to camp by a Sami. How embarrassing was that? I can no longer kid him about the rubberband or squirrel cage power plant.

Dick

Swath,

We have a guy in our 4x4 club who's a Sami nut. Both him and his wife have one. They're both set up well for off road and I've been impressed by what they can do.
I broke a drive shaft at TDS this year and got towed back to camp by a Sami. How embarrassing was that? I can no longer kid him about the rubberband or squirrel cage power plant.

Dick

I am actually a fan of any 4x4 that gets used off road. Your CJ looks very sweet, I love those old Jeeps. I think it is one of the reasons I am fond of the Sami, seems like a close modern redo of the old Jeep, even if it is made in Japan. Small and very light weight (2,200 lbs). The motor is small, light, and underpowered for sure. I kind of get a kick out of pulling around a 1.3 with my 7.5, you can't buy em much smaller nor much bigger :D.

I can change out that transfer case by myself without a jack, just lift it off and lift it back in place laying on my back in the driveway. The simplicity of the thing is good for a shade tree hack such as myself.

Anyway, cool CJ, got a link to your build?

Swath,

I used to be able to swap out the T-case but it's either gotten heavier or I'm just too old now. The Jeep has been an ongoing project since '75 and is now on it's 3rd body. It's had 4, 6 & 8 cylinder engines and several different drive trains. The only thing left from the original Jeep is the frame, gas tank and grill and they have all been modified.

As you probably know it's a constant break it, fix it, modify it cycle. It'll be done when I'm buried in it.

Dick

Back
Top Bottom