Howdy WTW, from North Carolina

Foy

Resident Geologist
Howdy gents and ladies,

I joined WTW in the last week or so and have been warmly welcomed by a couple of regulars who kindly answered some PM questions I'd sent them.

I'm a geologist-turned-CPA (I know, I know), mid-50s, who never really got the rocks out of his head. While I was a working geologist, I did mineral exploration field work, so my days were nothing but land navigation and pickup trucks. My kids used to ask "what exactly did you do as a field geologist?" and I replied "I'd spend the morning getting the truck stuck, and the afternoon digging it out".

Now that the kids are raised up proper and on their own, the wife and I are focused on spending more time Out West. We'd been vacationing in Montana a little bit, but 2010 and 2011 saw us in southwest MT for two weeks each year, and with a week in Utah in January 2011. We're now daydreaming/planning a long traverse across northeast Nevada in 2012. There's a post in Trip Planning on that one. Could be a great trip--looks like around 200 miles almost entirely off pavement from Rogerson, ID to Golconda, NV. We'll be doing a loop starting and ending at Elko, NV, a great place to visit and see a rodeo (Silver State Stampede--oldest rodeo in Nevada).

I run an '02 F350 single rear wheel CrewCab longbed diesel with 218,000 miles on the clock. Presently equipped with only a fiberglass shell but we're on the hunt for a FWC. Slow speed "wandering" is the fuel consumption sweet spot for the 7.3 liter Binder power plant, so the 38 gallons goes far. Goes pretty far into the wallet, too, at $4.00/gallon. I can get to western UT/eastern NV in 3 LONG days of slapping pavement from NC, but it's a little more fun to take 4 days. Point is, we don't expect to do any weekend or short-term wandering.

So that's us. We'll be wandering around WTW and asking lots of dumb questions. Bear with us, please.

See you folks somewhere around Tuscarora, NV come July 2012, y'hear?

Foy

Welcome. We look forward to hearing about you aquiring a camper and perhaps following your journies.

Wow, not gonna bother with weekend trips. I can only dream of the day that becomes a possibility. Remember, plenty of pics.

Welcome to te group Foy. I hope you enjoy your adventures on this side of the continent.

Many years ago I was visiting a friend's family in NC and I asked his dad when he was coming out west for a visit.
He said he went out west once and didn't like it.
I asked where he went.
His answer - Little Rock Ark

Hi again, Foy!
smile.gif
Again, I commend you for setting your goal so far from home. Heck, going the other direction I'm not sure I'm into driving as far as Colorado!
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom