How're Ya'll Installing Backup Cameras?

kodoz

full

Just acquired a Hawk on a flatbed Ram and I want to get a backup/rearview camera. Where are you running the cables from the cab back to their mounting point on the camper? I was going to go for a high mounting position, or maybe something mid-way to get around a bike rack, but I have mixed feelings about running the cables and wires all externally. I'm not well versed in drilling holes into things like cars and campers, and for that matter, I'm not familiar enough with the internal workings of the camper to fish a line through it. Yeah, I could get a wireless camera, and I might still sell out and do that, but I would prefer a wired unit. Thanks.

On my ram pickup, the camera was in the tailgate. Simply plugged an aftermarket one into the harness. Initially, I attached to license plate, but it is too low. I routed it externally around the door frame and attached above the door, works great. I screwed bracket directly into the door frame. Obviously, this is on a slide in model.

On a flatbed, I would do something similar, routing the cables up under the bed with zip ties, then up and onto a convenient mounting point on the camper high enough to avoid the bike rack. Depending on the bike rack you could mount to that as well. I would not try to route through the camper. Thgings are pretty protected underneath, I don’t even accumulate much crud up there, mostly just dust

Mthomas said:
...then up and onto a convenient mounting point on the camper high enough to avoid the bike rack. Depending on the bike rack you could mount to that as well. I would not try to route through the camper. Thgings are pretty protected underneath, I don’t even accumulate much crud up there, mostly just dust
Yeah, this sounds like a plan. Is there a sheathing that would protect the wiring running from under the flatbed up to wherever I mount it?

I removed the camera from the tailgate, fashioned a bracket and screwed it into the wooden base of our camper. It's mounted a lot lower than it was on the tailgate, but works ok. The markings that indicate distance are way off, naturally, but it's better than nothing.

kodoz said:
Yeah, this sounds like a plan. Is there a sheathing that would protect the wiring running from under the flatbed up to wherever I mount it?
The unit I bought from camera source has a couple feet of plastic corrugated stuff on a pigtail that comes off the junction point, then another connector to a cable that contains the actual wires. I have not added any additional cover, nor do I plan to. You could probably find some sort of wire cover, but this is probably overthinking it .

rubberlegs said:
I removed the camera from the tailgate, fashioned a bracket and screwed it into the wooden base of our camper. It's mounted a lot lower than it was on the tailgate, but works ok. The markings that indicate distance are way off, naturally, but it's better than nothing.
When I was mounted on the license plate, it was at a similar height to this. I felt it was to low and hard to judge distances well, gave it about a 6 month trial. Moving higher up gives more of an overview perspective. With a flatbed, if you could get it at the same height as the tailgate, I think it would be awesome for gauging distance when backing up, etc.

First, sweet rig OP!

I'm thinking about a camera, too, but haven't arrived at a good mounting solution. If not too much trouble, can y'all post some pics of how you mounted.

Cheers

I added a camera to my Tacoma , when I upgraded my radio. Just did a camera that attaches with the license plate bolts. Camera is in the middle and just above the hitch, so it wouldn’t work very well with a bike rack.

Karlton said:
First, sweet rig OP!

I'm thinking about a camera, too, but haven't arrived at a good mounting solution. If not too much trouble, can y'all post some pics of how you mounted.

Cheers
I'm thinking about an adhesive to save drilling into the skin, but we'll see...

Anyone know of any cameras that are less fish-eye than the usual?
I added a switch to my tacoma that lets me turn on its reverse cam any time I want.. I thought it would help let me know what's going on behind me on the road.
But the fisheye lens is SOOO wide, unless a car is much too close I don't even see them.
My head unit supports two cameras, so I'd keep the wide one for reversing, then use a more traditional FOV for my situational awareness camera.

Most vehicle manufacturers provide detailed information regarding the ideal placement of cameras. If in doubt you can always measure a vehicle like yours that is still stock and use that as a reference point.

gallery_11029_1446_55416.jpg

I took another route with my setup in a Hawk Shell on a 2011 Tundra. The truck has the original OEM head unit with a aux port and CD slot. For audio, a 3.5mm cable runs from a 8" Android tablet thats mounted to the dash with CD slot mount to the head unit. For gps the tablet uses bluetooth to a Garmin InReach. In the camper I have a WiFi camera pointed out the rear window plugged into the campers 12v power socket. The Tablet is connected to the camera with WiFi and an app.

Downside is wires hanging across the dash.

Nice removable setup for an older truck.

Back
Top Bottom