Hydraulic Jack Question(s)

jrfromafar

Advanced Member
I just called Alaskan Campers with a few questions about my hydraulic jack but they're in the process of relocating and will not be available for a few days. So I thought I'd post my questions here & see if anyone has the answers.

The fill cap on the hydraulic jack on my '72 broke. I got a PVC plug that I think will work (with a bit of Teflon tape) but I noticed the old cap has a small air hole. Is it important to have a vent hole in this cap? No doubt it is the mysterious source of fluid leaking when over filled - which brings me to another question - how full should the jack be filled with fluid?

I believe the vent is necessary and with the camper down the fluid should be near the top or when fully extended there should still be a small amount in reserve

Very likely the vent is needed to allow air in and out as the oil level changes in use. No reason that you can't extend it or add baffles to it to keep the oil in place. One simple method is a short section of coiled tubing for the vent.

Got my issue solved today - went to a hydraulic shop - the guy showed me a 1/2" aluminum cap with a vent hole & even a screen. Set me back a whole $2.00. Ready for some more camping :)

jrfromafar said:
Got my issue solved today - went to a hydraulic shop - the guy showed me a 1/2" aluminum cap with a vent hole & even a screen. Set me back a whole $2.00. Ready for some more camping :)
Don't you love it when things work like this!

Back
Top Bottom