I am starting to really dislike my camper solar

I'd say the best improvement due to all your trials and tribulations is the data driven confidence & peace of mind that you have now. You know what the state of charge is and how fast you are consuming or replenishing it. You also know when you will need to actually do something to maintain your off grid campering. Even the tone of your posts seem more relaxed and happy.

Now you have time to worry about something else. :p Diversity of challenges is both a blessing and a curse.

Paul

Now I gotta worry about where I wanna live/land and getting a job! hahaha!
I think I might prefer worrying about my solar.

Nah.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extremely-Flexible-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B07BMNGVV3/ref=asc_df_B07BMNGVV3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242054986317&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14976010564477938271&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014895&hvtargid=pla-441682528697&psc=1

This is the 100w version of my 50watt. When I was testing it I was very impressed by the current I was getting even though it was lying flat. (2.4 A) When I raised it up the current only move a bit. The little dots really bend the light and cause it to gather more than a normal flat panel.
I have ordered a 2nd 50w to create a very light and portable folding solar panel. If they continue to work well the 100 w will be on my roof:)

Happyjax said:
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extremely-Flexible-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B07BMNGVV3/ref=asc_df_B07BMNGVV3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242054986317&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14976010564477938271&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014895&hvtargid=pla-441682528697&psc=1

This is the 100w version of my 50watt. When I was testing it I was very impressed by the current I was getting even though it was lying flat. (2.4 A) When I raised it up the current only move a bit. The little dots really bend the light and cause it to gather more than a normal flat panel.
I have ordered a 2nd 50w to create a very light and portable folding solar panel. If they continue to work well the 100 w will be on my roof:)

Very Interesting as a portable adjunct to what we have..

Question: Can the lead/plug on these panels just be plugged into the solar plug [the one we now use for the FWC Zamp 80w] on the back of our Hawk by adding a longer cord?

Thanks...Phil

Hoyden,

Now that you have been tracking your battery / solar information with the battery monitor, start noticing the screen that has "AH" in the lower right corner. "AH" is amp hours. meaning you can track how many amps have been removed from your battery bank.

The "A" screen is how many amps going into or out currently in real time. It can be used to see if the solar panels / IOTA is working and how much amps each device is currently using.

Just a couple of more bits of information you can use besides just Percent and battery voltage.

Wallowa said:

Question: Can the lead/plug on these panels just be plugged into the solar plug [the one we now use for the FWC Zamp 80w] on the back of our Hawk by adding a longer cord?

Thanks...Phil
Hey Phil!

It's hard to tell from the pics and I am not seeing in the description what kind of connector it has. I'm curious too!

Hey @Happyjax - what you say about the connector?! :D

Wallowa said:

Thanks...Phil
The answer is probably yes, assuming the polarity is correct.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The answer is probably yes, assuming the polarity is correct.

Hey a big "probably"...OK, I can work with that...we all strive for compatibility...

How do you make the determination that the panel/wire to outlet at rear wall of Hawk has the correct polarity? I assume a magnet will not work... :D

Thanks...Phil

Prof. Google and a digital multimeter may be your best friend. If I recall correctly, Zamp panels have opposite plug polarity from most others. My assumption is the plug to the Zamp controller would be the same. I’d check to see what’s coming out of the panel, what brand of a controller is installed, and how it’s wired.

...and, the portable panels don’t have their own controller.

Prof. Google and a digital multimeter may be your best friend. If I recall correctly, Zamp panels have opposite plug polarity from most others. My assumption is the plug to the Zamp controller would be the same. I’d check to see what’s coming out of the panel, what brand of a controller is installed, and how it’s wired.

...and, the portable panels don’t have their own controller.

Thanks Sage...I will do that...also since I have the FWC 80w Zamp portable panel with the long cord I may be able to check the polarity on that panel/plug....electricity, among many other things, is not my forte!

Phil

Since you have the Zamp portable, I assume three things... you have successfully used the Zamp portable on your camper, the portable does not have it’s own controller and your entire system is Zamp.

Put the meter leads on the Zamp portable plug (I assume SAE) that you connect to your camper. That will tell you which pin is positive. Your connector on any other portable set up should be set up with the same output polarity as your Zamp portable. FWC wires the auxiliary connector to the onboard controller, or at least they did on my old Grandby.

All that said, I don’t understand why you want to go with a different portable. Your rooftop plus Zamp portable should give you sufficient charging.

Edit: I just noticed this is part of Ladybug’s thread. Perhaps we should create another for this discussion. Apologies to Ladybug for stepping on this.

Since you have the Zamp portable, I assume three things... you have successfully used the Zamp portable on your camper, the portable does not have it’s own controller and your entire system is Zamp.

Put the meter leads on the Zamp portable plug (I assume SAE) that you connect to your camper. That will tell you which pin is positive. Your connector on any other portable set up should be set up with the same output polarity as your Zamp portable. FWC wires the auxiliary connector to the onboard controller, or at least they did on my old Grandby.

All that said, I don’t understand why you want to go with a different portable. Your rooftop plus Zamp portable should give you sufficient charging.

Sage..got the testing procedure and thanks!

Why another panel? Well we go off the grid for extended trips, frequently in unforgiving environments and like the old expression "1 = 0 and 2 =1" .....going to a 200w portable in lieu of the current Zamp 80w when needed would give us an extra edge on keeping the batteries charged..a light weight, compact, relatively inexpensive backup panel provides a painless redundancy.

Having said that, my professions [retired now] and previous activities required and have instilled in me a "what if" approach to planning and execution of plans...hence I recognize that our Hawk will still be functional without water or power; we have back-ups for both...but I prefer to have an edge and a reserve..

Thanks again for your information.

Phil

Hoyden,

If the performance of the refrigerator is still in question, has the hot side heat exchanger portion of the fridge been checked for good airflow? Dust bunnies or other objects that block the air from getting to the hot side will increase the run time and energy consumption. Make sure the intake and exhaust openings are not blocked also.

PIP

I agree with those who stressed to check polarity. I believe Zamps are wired backwards.....

As far as "sticking" with them I find Renogy to be a great product at a reasonable price. I think Zamp is priced higher. I can not state whether the extra is worth it.... that would be up to the individual to decide:)

I picked a 2nd Renogy 50w flexible up for $92. A very good deal in my estimation. I will do a folding 100w light and portable external panel with them:) Will be about 15-20 lbs lighter than my 1st solar suitcase.

Would help out in times when light was not perfect:)

Always check polarity. There was a batch made incorrectly a while ago and really confused the heck out of people.

Back
Top Bottom